BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after selling my bass boat to get a speed boat and I miss the freedom of fishing when I want. So this year I figured I would give kayak fishing a shot after some reading I found this one at sports authority http://m.sportsauthority.com/Lifetime-Tamarack-Angler-Kayak/product.jsp?productId=12933432

I think this will be a good platform for me to be able to get out and figure out if I want to go further in the sport

I think there are a few things that I would like to add to make it a little better and would like to know what you guys found to work best and easiest
-anchor trolley
-fish finder
-stern light
-what kind of battery
-what kind of anchor and how much rope/ chain
-best crate/box for the rear tank well?

thanks in advance for all your input I can't wait to get out fishing!!!
Anthony

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
That's a really small kayak isn't it? Kayaks that small are for children or very small men. They don't track well in wind and chop. You should really go around and do demos, which are usually free. Many guys buy a lousy kayak the first time because its cheap and then they turn around and buy the one they really wanted or they don't like the sport because the kayak did not perform very well. How much do you wheigh? How tall are you? Hold off on all the accesories most aren't needed and just get in the way. I install 3 or 4 fishfinders a week. Come by the shop and Ill show you how I do it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am 6 foot 190 pounds and right now this will just be for short quick trips when my dad or brother are not around with their boats. Any recommendations on a simple fish finder?

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
That kayak will probably be a wet *** and may lack legroom at least sit in it in the store and make sure you have enough leg room (length). I have a similar kayak here that will have all the legroom you need and a bone dry ride at 190 pounds. It is American made with an American made seat for a bit more money. I use a basic black and white Hummingbird myself and have installed hundreds without problems.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Listen to Barrel and skip that Sports Authority yak. Do a demo from a local dealer or hook up with someone to test theirs. Make the purchase count. Not saying you need to drop the bank, just get the yak that fits you best.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Agreed...you can't tell much about a yak by reading about it. Do some test drives. If you like to fish (duh), you'll love doing it from a kayak if you're comfortable and dry-ish. I couldn't see anything on that link, but a sit-on is the way to go. Also, I know the Hobies (pedal drive) seem expensive, but fishing with a paddle across your lap lessens the experience to say the least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts