BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow striper junkies

I am new to the whole sport of using lures for stripers. In my experience i have always used bunker bloodworms surf clams etc... I live in chesapeake city md and plan on fishing a lot around the turkey point area and see and hear of a lot of guys using lures for stripers i am currently trying to get another tackle box together to try my hand at this i ned some advice on what to buy to get started out and how to rig it. For soft plastics do i use a carolina rig or a texas rig or what? I am trying to read up on this but figured i would ask the guys who do it all the time. could some of you guys please give me some tips on what to buy to get started .

thanks

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I can't really help you with soft plastics, other than to say I have caught some stripers on Fin S plastics with jig heads. Lots of guys are starting to swear by Hogy, and Sluggoo's. Tried them too, but if you got blues around, you will get lots of short strikes and chomped off lures.
Lures on the other hand are designed to catch fishermen, long before fish, and I think you will find that if you buy 50, there will be a few that cast right, and catch fish. Myself I use poppers, tsunami, and Gibbs with the right aerodynamic design for distance casting. I am from RI, but I do know the Turkey point area. Are you fishing from a boat, or shore? Also, there is the world of bucktails, and tins like crippled herring, and Hopkin's shortys.

Just try not to get caught up in the hype of having every colored lure out there. They a few light ones for daytime, and a couple dark ones for night time. Then see what others are using. I like polaris style poppers, because they cast well. Get lures with quality hooks, and if they do not have good hooks, get some VMC hooks. I crush 2 of the 3 barbs on my treble hooks. Come back if you have some specific questions. What type of rod are you going to use?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will mainly be fishing from a boat. usually always fish with my 7 foot uglystick with a medium action reel do you think that is too heavy i also would like to use ultra light gear but until i get some experience i dont see that happening. until i get some experience thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
quackhead I fish only lures, the choice for me is water level specific,

1. top water, "most enjoyable, nothing beats a fish taking top water, least productive though"
2. just below the surface" good for shallow water fishing, will produce fish"
3. jig head with plastic "not as enjoyable as the first two but by far the most productive"

the picture gives each example of the three levels of water relative to lures that I use

but like a previous post can get a little $$$ when blues are around

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go to Herb's tackle shop in North East. Talk to Mike or Ele. They have everything you need to fish the local waters. Stillwater popper for topwater, Tony #17 spoon and some jig heads with Bass Assasins are all you really need to catch fish in the area. Book a trip with a LOCAL guide and you will learn more in a day than you will fooling around in a year on your own.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Chartreuse bass assassins, rattle traps and tony's

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I like to fish that area and the goto is bass assasins,I like electric chicken.I've also had some success with the stillwater smack it when the top water bite is on.You ever troll tandem rigs??OR are you anchoring up or drifting??If your gonna troll get some tandem rigs and some bunker spoons.Hope this helps.

FC

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I will mainly be fishing from a boat. usually always fish with my 7 foot uglystick with a medium action reel do you think that is too heavy i also would like to use ultra light gear but until i get some experience i dont see that happening. until i get some experience thanks for the info
A 7foot ugly stick may be OK, depending on the action, lure weight rating, and line rating. Get the recommendation from the tackle shop. Personally i do not like them, they do not set a hook all that well, and there are better rods out there, for not a lot of money. Some of the Tsunami rods are fine. I do not know your budget.
What concerns me here is your comment about going ultra light. Unless your ugly stick is a boat rod, I would not be inclined to go much lighter. You owe it to the fish to land them in a reasonable time. The longer you fight them, the less chance they have for survival. I use an 8'-6" loomis " hot Shot rod designed for salmon, I aso have a couple of the loomis greenwater rods designed for up to a 1 1/2 oz. lure. One is 6'-6", and the other is 7'-6". I would not go any lighter, and all of these rods have a lot of backbone to them. Just be mindful of " ultra light" for big fish. The proper term you want to consider is " light tackle". The bait store mentioned in another answer can help you along those lines

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.