BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm new to fishing for strippers and I can't wait for the Fall run. I have to stay local and for me thats near the Commadore Barry Bridge and maybe up to UPS on a long day. How should I be fishing for these babies. Top water trolling with live or fake bait? How fast do I troll, I've never trolled before? Should I buy downriggers and fish deeper? Do I float around with chunk bait? Is the area I'm fishing in even worth it or should I just stick to catfish? I'm completely new to this as you can see so any help you can give would be great. I'll buy what I need based on your suggestions. I am going to buy a fish finder for my boat since I heard you have to fish flats for Stripes.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Originally posted by boatbuilder_g:
Ok I'm new to fishing for strippers
G:

You gotta chum, heavily. I have found best success comes with rolled-up dollar bills. ;) :D

Seriously though, I havent tried for them in those areas in the fall, and in fact, I dont know that there is a fall run per se. We have had some success with SPRING run stripers, just south of the CBB. We were anchored up, and using blood worms as bait.

Oh and I would recommend you put your post in the freshwater forum, you will probably get more responses from our DE River experts there.

Good luck.

[ 09-21-2005, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: BobEver ]

·
Registered
233 Posts
Originally posted by boatbuilder_g:
Ok I'm new to fishing for strippers

You gotta chum, heavily. I have found best success comes with rolled-up dollar bills.

Always liked that one!

·
Registered
15 Posts
BOAT BUILER, I WOULD DEFFINITELY AGREE WITH BOB, IN THIS AREA U NEED TO BE FISHING BLOODS, THEIR IS DEFFINITELY A SPRING RUN HERE AND THEIR IS ALSO A FALL RUN BUT NOT A PRODUCTIVE. I PERSONALLY LIVE VERY CLOSE TO THIS AREA AND USE THIS AREA AS A CURE FOR MY CABIN FEVER TILL I PUT MY BOAT IN THE WATER DOWN THE D-BAY. I HAVENT FISHED THE AIRPORT AREA, MAINLY CBB TO REDDY POINT IN DELAWARE, I HAVE BAGGED SOME REALLY NICE FISH FROM THE SHORE THIS WHOLE STRECTH USING BLOODS, U CAN ALSO TRY CUT BUNKER OR HERRING IF YOU CAN FIND THEM BUT BLOODS ARE GONNA BE YOUR BEST PRODUCER BY FAR. WARNING STAY CLEAR OF THE BOAT TRAFFIC, THESE VESSELS CANNOT AND WILL NOT MOVE OUT OF THE WAY FOR YOU. FIND AN AREA WITH A LITTLE STRUCTURE IF ANY AND FISH. I HAVE ALSO FOUND THAT THE AREAS THAT HAVE A SANDY BOTTOM AS APPOSED TO THE MUDDY BOTTOMS ARE WAY MORE PRODUCTIVE. YOUR GONNA HAVE TO LEARN THESE AREAS OF THE RIVER, THEN YOU'LL HAVE SUCCESS. GOOD LUCK.
P.S. ENVEST IN YOUR OWN SINKER MOLDS. AND DONT LIVE BY YOUR QUOTE "IF YOU KILL IT...EAT IT", MIGHT BE A BAD IDEA HERE. I THINK MOST OF THE FISH IN THIS AREA MAY BE RESIDENT AND FULL OF WHOKNOWSWHAT.

CAPTAIN
JC
JAY-SEA

·
Registered
628 Posts
Welcome Boatbuilder,Bobever got it there is no fall STRIPER run really there isn't that consentration as in spring.But come early spring check back here at freshwater forum and you'll get all the info you need.Tactics aint much differant then cat fishin anchor up w/ chunk or bloods and those areas will do....See you this spring I can't wait.....

·
Registered
233 Posts
I fish for stipers during the spring run on the river from shore.

I get most my fish on fishfinder rigs with blood worms as my fav bait.

Watch the regs. You must use circle hooks and there is a closed period (not sure of the dates now).

I have gotten some really nice fish out of the river but I release them all since they are most likely heading up to breed.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I've fished that area quite a bit over the years and have had some great days catching stripers on lures. From now thru Dec., depending on how soon it gets cold, there's some great fishing not to far above and below the bridge. You should have a depth finder since the river on the NJ side is not as deep as you may think, especially at low tide. Find any rip on the out going tide and plug it with rubber shads, bomber type lures, etc.
In the morning and evening hit the flats with poppers. I've had days with 30+ stripers and of course I've been skunked many times. March and April is all bloods on the flats for some fantastic fishing. If you like to bait fish try some catching some perch and live lining them. I launch at the Racoon Creek ramp about 1/2 mile below the CB Bridge. You can call me if you'd like - 856-534-2647 I probably can same you some time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.