BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just moved down from pa for a job, I'm used to fishing in the bay up in New Jersey, I know the season doesn't start for awhile but looking to get a head start on things, looking for tips, solid info, maybe a good book to get on the subject

by the way I am living on Kent Island (looking to get a boat looking for suggestions on that as well)

thank you

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Kent Island is a nice area. Trophy Striper season (1 fish pp > 28") starts around mid april, and this is pretty much all trolling, planer boards, paracute rigs, umbrella rigs etc. If you have a boat I have all the gear and would show you some nice spots around the bay bridge.

In May when the limit switches to 2-18" fish, they can still be caught by trolling (scaling down the baits) and a lot of guys switch to chumming for the stripers.

Throughout the summer most people chum for the stripers, Love Point is a good general area to check out. Blues move in mid summer around that area, havent caught any in a few years, but the big croakers used to come up too. Down the bay a bit they catch flounder, croakers, spanish mackeral as well as the blues and stripers. There are lots of charters on Kent Island and out of Rock Hall which will help to show you the area and how they fish.

In late summer and fall you can usually have fun with the stripers and blues on lures especially at dawn and dusk, just look for breaking birds.

Also go crabbing. My favorite river is the Chester, which is very close to Kent Island, but it can be very hot and cold, check out the Wye also.

If you need any other info just shoot me an email. Good luck, I love the Chesapeake

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree with the above, still fish NJ for flounder and offshore, but have fished the Chesapeake mid bay area mostly since i moved down here 4 years ago, very good fishery. Trolling for stripers in the spring and fall can make for a great fishing trip for us hardcore fishing guys and guys who just want to go on a boat ride: get ready to buy some planer boards and troll lots of lines, spreads range from 6 to 20+ lines being trolled at one time. Live lining spot for stripers in the summer is fun too, plus Spanish mackerel trolling and jigging in the late summer/fall is a nice treat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You

thanks for some of the tips i look forward to trying it out also thanks for the option of asking you guys questions

·
Registered
867 Posts
RBF8489,

I'm another one who will be new to fishing the mid and upper bay this year. I've been three years working on my 'ol boat and she's finally running good. We are planning on fishing the CBB area at least once a month when April rolls around so if you need a ride give me a shout.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
RBF8489,

I'm another one who will be new to fishing the mid and upper bay this year. I've been three years working on my 'ol boat and she's finally running good. We are planning on fishing the CBB area at least once a month when April rolls around so if you need a ride give me a shout.

Wingnutt

For trophy season I have all the gear (rods, lures, planer boards, clips..... everything) so if you want to go out let me know. Also once the chumming season gets under way I know a couple of decent spots to try that too, so just let me know whenever you need an extra guy I'll jump on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
same here

yeah we can def. get some cooperative fishing going, I am looking for a boat myself so maybe we can save some gas that way, also is there any place on kent island to do some free shore fishing (aka not going to the piers)

·
Registered
867 Posts
madhatter,

I don't know of any spots, but that's probably because I've never been down in that area. :D However, you just gave me a idea for something to do Saturday if the weather is nice. Also, does anybody know of any good ramps in the Love Point, CBB area?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Rock Hall has a public ramp right in town. Need the ramp permit ($30 for 3 day or $60 for year, non-resident)

South of the bridge on the eastern shore there is Matapeake (sp?) State Park which has a public ramp

·
Registered
867 Posts
How's the water depth at low tide at those ramps? I need at least 3'. Even at 3' my prop wash is blowing up mud. :rolleyes: I'm a MD resident so I will need to check the prices for residents. I might run down there Sat since the wife will be out of town visiting her mom.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The ramp in Rock Hall should be plenty deep even at low tide, we have no problem with my friends 21' parker there. Dont know about the other ramp, never used it, but I know there is a public ramp there

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
anything worth right now

I found some spots on kent island to fish from the beach is it even worth my time at this point?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts