BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I MOVE FROM FROM 20, SKIFF TO 25 CC WORLD CAT THIS PASSED YEAR AND I AM READY TO VENTURE OFF SHORE . I WILL BE STARTING OUT CLOSE (INSHORE LUMPS) THEN WITH EXPIERENCE I HOPE TO GET OUT TO 40 MILES. (FIRST AND FORMOST IS SAFTY) I HAVE FISHED THE DB,BB,AND REEFS FOR YEARS AND AM LOOKING FOR ADVISE FROM THE OFF SHORE GUYS TO HELP ME OUT.
1) rod and reel for chunking (class of tackel) reels 20's , 30's ect. (line weight for rods and actions) 30-50 / 40-60 ect.
2) rod and reel for jigging (class of tackel - not name brands)
3) rod and reel for trolling (class of tackel - not name brands)
The other ? i have are, can i use braded line for trolling ( top shot or not)
and what lb test are most guys using. I am hoping to stay on the light side 30 lb - 40 lb.I have alot of other ? i any of you guys can help a newbe THANKS

· Registered
7,829 Posts
I MOVE FROM FROM 20, SKIFF TO 25 CC WORLD CAT THIS PASSED YEAR AND I AM READY TO VENTURE OFF SHORE . I WILL BE STARTING OUT CLOSE (INSHORE LUMPS) THEN WITH EXPIERENCE I HOPE TO GET OUT TO 40 MILES. (FIRST AND FORMOST IS SAFTY) I HAVE FISHED THE DB,BB,AND REEFS FOR YEARS AND AM LOOKING FOR ADVISE FROM THE OFF SHORE GUYS TO HELP ME OUT.
1) rod and reel for chunking (class of tackel) reels 20's , 30's ect. (line weight for rods and actions) 30-50 / 40-60 ect.
and what lb test are most guys using. I am hoping to stay on the light side 30 lb - 40 lb.I have alot of other ? i any of you guys can help a newbe THANKS

The 16 and 30 have been very popular, alot of guys use 80# braid with mono top shot. 50# rods and 80# rods medium to fast action. depending on brand.

Most guys are buying 300g class and 400g+class depending on fish size
i use reels with enough capacity using 80# with star drag, weighing about 28oz.
they work great for most fish in our area under 150#.

you can use the same 16 and 30 class for trolling,
throw in a 50 or 2 and you should have a great starter setup.

they light weight and powerful rods and reels, great for all the fishing in our area

· Registered
7,971 Posts
Best of luck with your new boat

The advise Paul from JPR is right on as far a starter tackle. I do not know what you have for safety gear but Capt Trey at Over Under has supplied our boat with some of the latest quality equipment and he is in Avalon, NJ and I am sure could guide you on this issue.
If you have not been offshore much in the past out to the 20 fathom line and beyond then it probably would be a pretty decent idea to jump on with a established charter or friend with offshore experience as there is so much to learn but safety is the most important thing period. Best of luck with your new boat.

· Vendor
1,761 Posts
Billy Goat,
Welcome to the Barn. You are venturing into whole new, very exciting realm. Some times I still feel like a kid at Christmas the night before an offshore trip. Watch this forum and you will pick up a lot of good information. Always feel free to ask any question. As Captain John said, you can learn years worth of knowledge and tricks if you jump on with an experienced charter captain. Then take that knowledge and apply it to your own trips. Nothing like that first reel screaming on your own boat, especially when you can tell it is a nice fish. Be safe.

· Registered
8,050 Posts
I MOVE FROM FROM 20, SKIFF TO 25 CC WORLD CAT THIS PASSED YEAR AND I AM READY TO VENTURE OFF SHORE . Congrats and welcome to the barn. You will find very usefull info ans well as comic relief in the offseason.
I WILL BE STARTING OUT CLOSE (INSHORE LUMPS) THEN WITH EXPIERENCE I HOPE TO GET OUT TO 40 MILES. (FIRST AND FORMOST IS SAFTY) I HAVE FISHED THE DB,BB,AND REEFS FOR YEARS AND AM LOOKING FOR ADVISE FROM THE OFF SHORE GUYS TO HELP ME OUT.
1) rod and reel for chunking (class of tackel) reels 20's , 30's ect. (line weight for rods and actions) 30-50 / 40-60 ect. This depends on budget. Look into used 9/0 reels if your tight on cash. Otherwise INTL's are tried and true.
2) rod and reel for jigging (class of tackel - not name brands) So many choices, again relies on budget and use. There's no reason one can not jig with a 9/0. However a gentleman here named KILSONG is the jig authority.
3) rod and reel for trolling (class of tackel - not name brands) I have used PEEN INTL trolling rods for over 20 years 95% of which we still use!
and what lb test are most guys using. YOU CAN BUT IT REMOVES ALOT OF THE ROOM FOR ERROR BY THE ANGLER. STARTING OUT i SAY KEEO IT SIMPLE. STAY WITH MONO, 50 TO 80# IS WHAT i GENERALLY USE BUT IF YOU WANT LIGHT 40 AND 60 IT QUITE APPROPRIATE.
I am hoping to stay on the light side 30 lb - 40 lb. LIGHT IS FUN AND GOOD FOR 99% OF WHAT I ASSUME YOU WILL BE DOING.
I have alot of other ? i any of you guys can help a newbe THANKS! NO PROBLEM, EMAIL WITH SPECIFICS I ANSWER QUESTION AS I CAN.

Charter a reputable guy, for offshore fishin. You will learn more on one trip than you can in a year of your own. Maybe even consider someone with a cat. Unigue trolling patterns and fishability ideas are some things that would be usefull.

Best of luck with the new boat.

· Registered
7,305 Posts
I wouldn't go out the first year and buy all high dollar equipment for fishing. The reason I say is obvious at first, you just bought a boat. The second is to get used or graphite instead of the gold. See if you get into the sport full bore then you opened yourself up for presents ;) from others or yourself. I would suggest a nice set of TLD 25's for chunking and inshore trolling. Maybe a few 30 ad 50 TLD's for offshore trolling. They won't break your bank and are very reliable. Terminal tackle, don't go used get new good quality stuff. It hurts when the line parts and your spreader bar goes off into the sun set.

4- 25tld's
2 30tld's
2-50tld's and your set for some fun to start.

· Registered
4,382 Posts
Billy, welcome aboard. If you need gear I am sure you will hear some good suggestions on this site. You should go to a tackle shop and have someone point out the features of the rods and reels. You can easily start at $1,000 on up, why not check out the features, be careful of the hype.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.