BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I had a boat my whole life and always fished from that. Due to recent circumstances had to sell the boat. I am new to surf fishing so any advice or tips to point me in the right direction to help get me started would be great.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Decide what you want to fish for-the surf can give you pretty much anything you want-stripers, flounder, weakfish, blues, kingfish, and let me not forget sandsharks, and skates. 10 foot decent rod with a nice spinning reel will get you going. I like braided line-fishing with bait for stripers in the Spring-hi-lo rig with pyramid weight on the bottom. Fresh clam. If you plan on deadsticking, make sure the drag is set properly if you don't plan on holding the rod-lol.
Good luck!
Joe

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Depends on where you plan to fish, but in general terms I'll offer some oldtimer advice.....

You can catch a variety of fish from most any stretch of sand depending on the time of year, temperature of water, bottom structure, and tide movement.
If you fish the front beaches, look for sand bars and the cuts in those bars, rip currents that pull swimmers out to sea are bad for swimmers, but good for surf fishing because this is where many fish enter the shallows between the bars to chase bait fish.

The inlets are productive spots, but difficult to hold bottom during tidal flow, you can bottom fish there at still tide, but as soon as the tide starts moving again you're better off tossing artificials by casting up stream, and retrieving as the tide pulls your lure down stream.

Jetties are very productive and usually hold fish, but also offer the challenge of getting snagged in the rocks if you don't know what you are doing.

There just too many variables to cover in just one post here, you need to watch what others are doing, what they are using, where they are doing it, at what time and tide they are doing it, ask question, peek into a few tackle boxes and fishing buckets, and ask at the local tackle shops. Most tackle shops will put you on the fish, their business depends on you catching fish so they will be more than happy to tell you where to go, and what to use.

One piece of advice since I see you are new to the Bass Barn, there is a general rule about "Spot Burning" on this forum that many take seriously, this means giving specific spots away where you are catching fish, most guys here will give you advice and general areas, but not specific places, and they get testy if you give out specific places. especially if that spot is one of their honey holes. Also, if you post photo's of a really good catch, make sure the photo does not include any specific landmarks in it that could reveal the location.

Welcome to the Bass Barn, hopefully others will have more to offer you....:wave:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Good rod to start off with is 9foot. Then when you get use to it you can go up to a 10.

Deffiently go with a Penn slammer to by the way they are great.

Lure rod i would go with a 7-9 footer and make sure it can throw 1-3 or 1-4 oz.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Check out this thread: http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88502&highlight=reading+water

I am also new to surf fishin and this thread is very helpful. Good Luck!
I'm also sort-of-new to surf fishing -was mainly jetty hopping with 6 1/2 foot rods and also using them off the beach. Finally picked up a brand new 9 foot Penn Pursuit - 3-4 oz. cast rating For 26 dollars(no tax) at a show. Any opinions about the performance and was it a good buy?

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
First off go to the beach!!You'll meet some good people there.Don't go spending alot of money right off the bat.Look at Tica and tsunami rods good bang for your buck.Look at 9-10 ft rods.Start out simple use fish finder rigs with clam,or sand/blood worms in the spring.Depending on where you want to fish goto your local B&T or better yet if you live near a Barn sponser go talk ask questions.As far as reels I've had luck with the Okuma reels,Penns are fine your tackle will evolve as you learn more about the game.This surf fishing thing can get expensive.For better info ask specific questions in regard to your learning curve.This subject has many aspects and Tony is right it cannot be throughly covered in one post or even thread.

Most important enjoy!!!!!I look forward to your future posts and Welcome to the Barn!!

FC:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
I bought a 9ft pursuit about 1 year ago paid $25 for it have not used it yet, looks like a decent cheap rod, I was going to use it for pluggin, I was planning to put an extension on the butt to make it a little longer maybe about 9' 9". I like rods with long butts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help so far guys I know it will be alot of trial and error. But I plan on fishing the Longport, Ocean City, Brigantine area. I figure I will do some bouncing around until I feel comfortable, Thanks again. I am open to all suggestions/ tips in the future. I am sure I will have more questions as time goes by.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
MYJ314.....

One important thing in surf fishing is to be very careful of both swimmers and surfers. You'll be fishing on tourist resort beaches, I can't tell you how many times I've gotten to a spot early, had my line (or lines) in the water, and someone walked right past me, and dove in to go swimming right where I was fishing....(get your hook stuck in them, and they'll be calling their lawyer before they call for an ambulance)....
Surfers tend to be a selfish group, I know I'am one. If the waves are good where you are fishing, these clowns won't think twice about paddling out right over your line, they don't care if you were there first, all they care about is catching every wave they can.....(and again, they'll call their lawyer before an ambulance if you hook them)

In Ocean City, your best and safest bet is either inlet, or in the south end every other beach is guarded, and you can fish between those guarded beaches, just be aware that come 5:00 pm and those guards leave, it's open season, after hours swimmers, surfers, belly boarders, kayakers, wind surfers, Hobie catters.....you name it, they come out of the woodwork and hit the water.......and they don't care if you have a razor sharp hook in the water, they'll climb over you to get in that same water you're fishing.....

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Hello I had a boat my whole life and always fished from that. Due to recent circumstances had to sell the boat. I am new to surf fishing so any advice or tips to point me in the right direction to help get me started would be great.
Look down in the threads about the last 30 days, you will see similar questions, and there is one asking for plug advise. Lot of info shared just recently. hope this helps

·
Registered
791 Posts
i live in philly also. i have alot of extra gear you can try out before you buy. if you want to hook up and go fishing let me know.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
If your catching alot of fish. Don't make scene and what i like to do is when i catch a nice keeper is dig a hole big enough for the bass to lay in so when someone walks buy they can't see it. Cause we all know how bennys love to sit right next to when the bite is on.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you For the tip. Thats some pretty good advice from a Yankees fan. ha ha lol

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Hahah you seem alright for a phillys fan.

Go eagles though, screw the giants and jets.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
my opionion if your throwing bait get a set up from dicks or sports authority. I don't fish as much as some but I have had my 10' shakespeare alpha for 6 or 7 years now. upgraded the reel around year 2. The orginal setup was around $30.

If you start throwing plugs then you will want to step up to a better road and reel. I have a 9' tica 1 to 3oz paired with a penn 4500ssg. Love the set up. cost me about 140 for the set-up and its light enough to throw plugs for hours.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey guys once again I really appreciate all the help. They are probly not a need but I wear waders trout fishing in the wissqhickon creek near my house. If I was on the beach would waders be a wise decision I currently wear neoprene waders? Thanks

Mitch

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Yes, even in june when the water is warm if it is cloudy and you don't have waders your going to be cold. And for the fall run they are good.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.