BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

There are only so many ways to fry an egg, right? Patterns have been retied in a different color and have been "recreated". Not so, here, just a new twist.
Some years ago, I learned a pattern that caught fish well in my home waters. It was called the spun deer hair slider bug. It was shared by a fly fisherman who is no longer with us, His name was Kenny, better known as 10X10.
It has been reworked to fit smaller fish. I have also modified it's long tail, so as to make a smaller immitator. Some others have become wide profile flys. Short maribu tails work well, and are accomplished by removing the maribu from the stem, and tying it in as you would hair. Artic Fox and Rabbit have also been used in these flys to vary the lenth and properties.
As you can see by the spool af thread, these flys are all about 2" long tied on #1 standard lenth hooks.
Fish them slow, fish them fast,
I CAN"T WAIT TO FISH "EM!

[ 04-09-2006, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Frank Mihalic ]

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Outstanding Frank!!!!!

They are so sweet love the middle three.

You better be ready when they hit the water, something is going to inhale them.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
All look great. I am sure they will all catch. I think saltwater fish will take anything. I was just looking at t couple of new booksthat the club library just got donated and one has saltwater flies. Must be 50 varaitions of each type of fly you can think of and each has its own name and color and they all catch the same type of fish. Can't wait for next saturday when we get together for tying at the club event at the Bay Center.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Frank-
I grew up in Elkins Park , knew Kenny for years. My last memory of him was seeing him huddled with a few buddies in a gale by the tower of the N. jetty at Cold Spring. Too windy to fly fish, but I was catching on the spin rod.
A good friend of mine was the landlord for his fly shop when he passed and had to ebay most of his invenotry to pay the bills.- What a shame.
If I did more wading , I think I would have to invest in an inflatable vest.
Very cute flies- maybe in a slightly larger version , the'd make a good mullet initation. The guy who taught me to tie when I was about 12 tied something very similar only a slightly tighter head and did a number on the smallmouths.I still have a few of his flies- can't bring myself to use ( loose) them.
Tom

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vince,
I am glad that you like them! I hope the fish do!
Ray, This Saturday will be A BLAST! I am looking forward to it. Maybe some of the guys will want to see this type of fly being tied?
Tom,
I did not know Kenny personally. But,I was truly impressed by the way he took the time to email me exact directions on how to tie the sliders...He offered advice on most any questions regarding the sport that we love.
I remember I asked him about palmering, What does "wet fly style" mean?....As I said, it was a long time ago! The inflatable vest is a great idea. I do want to wade some spots behind OC, but only when my buddy is in the boat very nearby.
I am not trying to immitate a mullet with these smaller patterns. I am trying to immitate a minnow (mummichug) with my smaller size fly/slider derivative. The back waters I fish are so grass choked, if it touches the bottom, it's probably fouled.
Glad you all like em. I don't like ugly. I don't think that fish do either!
Each tie may not be as perfect as it is in my mind, before I tie it. I am a bit of a perfectionist. I also beleive that anything worth doing is worth doing to the very best of one's ability.
I need to work on my photogrophy( to make my flys look better!)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Looking forward to Saturday,I thought those flies looked liked killies.Definetly would like to see how they are tied.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Nice work Frank!!!

Kenny was the man when it came to spinning hair. I keep one of the link from one of the other sites of a how to that he did on hair spinning (and the fly just happens to be his slider!! )

These flies work. Over the past year I've been addicted to snake flies and 9 out of 10 times you will see a rod in the rod rack of my jeep with a yellow snake on it because that fly produces night and day!!!!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I had talked to Kenny many times online but I met him for the first time just a couple days before the accident on the Vineyard. he was working at Larry's. Such a shame you could tell that he really loved to fish.

Nice flies

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bill,
What I like best about the deer hair is the bouyancy. I do some HiTie Peanut Bunker with the blend that look similar. I love the way the deer hair reacts in the water.
John, I look forward to showing you this Saturday!Be sure to introduce yourself.
Dave,I HEAR YA!!!The slider is is a great fly. And Kenny was a great guy. I wonder if he is laughing at us right now?? I hope so.

SF ...Glad that you approve!

Something about the tradition of tying with naturel materials. Utalizing the natural taper of each strand of hair. Blending different types of hair to buid the desired taper. No foam head. No easy way out. Spin it, Create it, challenge yourself!
I almost forgot about the little flat one on the bottom right of the pick. Not at all a slab. More of a topwater type of twitch bait...
We will see.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Frank I have plenty of deer tails that I use for various flys. Have dabbled with spinning from time to time. Was wondering if you buy certain tails or pcs just for spinning?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I might as well butt in. Bill, you use deer hair for spinning. It's hollow, though there's some debate about it. The best hair for spinning is the belly hair. It's white and can be dyed easily. There's debate as to which type of deer and which type of coat, summer or winter provides the best hair.
I'm not much of a deer hair spinner prefering the easy way with foam. This past winter going through my tying stuff, I found a bunch of deer hair pieces that had been sitting around for a few years, the better pieces came from Kenny's shop. I knew him through the club I belonged to here in Philly. He was a member and did several demonstrations at club meetings. There was always a crowd around to watch him. He spent a lot of that time explaining what he was doing. Not much rubbed off on me, except the suggestion that if I was going to tie up a lot of caddis patterns, I ought to invest in a deer's mask, which I did. I never did take up his suggestion that if I really wanted to catch a 20 or 30 lb striper, I needed to be fishing the Delaware River near Washington's Crossing on a dark summer's night with a large deer hair bug.
Anyway, I attempted to use up the deer hair I had by tying up a bunch of bugs. I still have a bunch left, mostly in off beat colors, and varying degrees of quality. I'll bring them with me Saturday, in case folks want some to experiment with.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jerry, Good to hear from you.

Bill, Belly OR body hair can be used. I really do prefer the deer BODY hair. It comes on a tanned piece of hide, rather than a dried up little piece of skin. It seems to be much more the same lenth. It seems softer and easier to use. The belly hair is more hollow( wich i also use for spinning). Seems to have more longer hairs and some shortys as well. I have some hair from a large doe that my brother in lay took a few seasons back. The rump hair is unbeleiveably long! Both hairs float well. They both spin well.I will bring both on Saturday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts