BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Night of the 3rd. Marker 31 Dog fish everywhere(Damn things) Striper bite was slow but got 2 slot fish(Had to work hard for them). Then my brother in law hook somthing Huge.

This fish bent his pole in half but did NOT run?? I could swear he hooked the bottom but it was a fish. He fought it for 30 min then it snapped the line above the leader???

4 of July Bay ridge flats. Nothing but Dogs, dogs, dogs. I fished during the fireworks. Right as I grabbed to reel to go home something Hit the bait(bunker head.)

I put 10 pounds of drag on it with my shimano TLD25 and this thing was running like a tuna... Same as my brother snapped the line above the 3 foot 60lb florocarbon leader???

What the heck is going on? Do dogs get that big?
What where these massive fish that hit us and broke 30lb test like a lite snack???

[ 07-05-2005, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: FreezOrBurn ]

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Freez wow i wonder what you had? Anyway great report, thanks and keep them coming.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, Thats what I heard when i talked to Moe at moes bait and tackle in Jersey city.

He said there used to be super Big rays in the harbor but they have not been around in years? Maybe there making a come back...

I don't know what it was but it would have spooled my tld25 for sure if it did not snap the line.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Cow Nosed Ray. We get them up here all the time. They get up to 100 lbs and pull like a frieght train. They travel in huge schools up beach at time too.

If was a big ray and you were anchored, you'd have no chance. A lot of us get them while drifting for fluke. I got one estimated at 60+ lbs two years ago. Faught it for 45 mins on fluke gear.

[ 07-06-2005, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: pgoins ]

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do these rays have rough skin or sharp teeth? What kind of rig would you use?

They keep breaking the 30lb proline ABOVE the
60LB Floro Leader.

I've hook into these things 3x and can't get one up.

I just want to see this thing. I never hear of a "cow nosed ray" before especialy in NYC harbor.

·
Registered
130 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts