BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a little fishing yesterday for stripers in the Newark Bay area and tributaries. Two of us were throwing swimbaits on leadheads and we landed about 50 fish mostly from 18 to 24 inches and a couple of keepers sized at 29 and 33 inches. All were released unharmed. It was like a typhoon out there with the wind (50mph gusts) but even though we could only cast from the NW to the SE we still killed them. Would have been better if it was less windy. This was our best first day of the season in 5 years of fishing that area.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Better day are coming! In a few more weeks the big girls will show up. Meanwhile you guys had the most fun we heard since last fall. Great job and great report.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
fishindick said:
Did a little fishing yesterday for stripers in the Newark Bay area and tributaries. .
Great job! Could you email me an info on how to access the Newark Bay and its tributaries? Or were you guys on a boat?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a launch right in Bayonne and there's Liberty Landing in southwestern NY Harbor. There are also launches and marinas in Staten Island, and NJ in the Arthur Kill and up the Hackensack River and the Passaic River.

You really need a boat to make a trip up here worth anything, and even then you will need a few outings to find some patterns and learn some spots. Everything up here is either private property (industrial) or marshes that can't be gotten to on foot. There is Bayonne Park which has a long Bayfront boardwalk with fishing areas on either end, it can produce on incomming tides sometimes...... What you really need up here is a friend like me.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
fishindick said:
What you really need up here is a friend like me.
Awesome. Wanna be friends? :p :D

My dad lives in New Milford (in Bergen County) so I frequently go back and forth to North Jersey (almost every weekend when I'm not already fishing down in South Jersey). Would love it if you showed me the ropes one weekend. My dad would never believe me if I told him I caught stripers in North Jersey !

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Weekends are tough for me but if you find yourself coming up during the week and you can give me some notice it might be possible. It's tough because I have a small boat (fishes 3 max) and my knowledge of this area has made me popular, I have promised a few trips I have not been able to make happen yet so I hate to promise more.

From what I understand, stripers pile up in New Milford and by the Oradell Dam in the Hackensack River for the spawn. Over the next Month you should be able to jig for them up there from the banks. Try throwing swimbaits up there.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
fishindick said:
Weekends are tough for me but if you find yourself coming up during the week and you can give me some notice it might be possible. It's tough because I have a small boat (fishes 3 max) and my knowledge of this area has made me popular, I have promised a few trips I have not been able to make happen yet so I hate to promise more.

From what I understand, stripers pile up in New Milford and by the Oradell Dam in the Hackensack River for the spawn. Over the next Month you should be able to jig for them up there from the banks. Try throwing swimbaits up there.
VERY GOOD POSTS.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
fishindick said:
Did a little fishing yesterday for stripers in the Newark Bay area and tributaries. Two of us were throwing swimbaits on leadheads and we landed about 50 fish mostly from 18 to 24 inches and a couple of keepers sized at 29 and 33 inches. All were released unharmed. It was like a typhoon out there with the wind (50mph gusts) but even though we could only cast from the NW to the SE we still killed them. Would have been better if it was less windy. This was our best first day of the season in 5 years of fishing that area.
Good thing, Newark today is very nice. I was near the water earlier and all water was flat.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
fishindick said:
Good thing, Newark today is very nice. I was near the water earlier and all water was flat.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I hope you don't eat them! Do you? I grew up the street from the passaic and caught carp growing up. That is the dirtiest most poluted river in the state thanks to the hard work of GE dumping pcbs for years straight into it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I generally let everything go, but I may keep one or two a year out of Raritan Bay. The Hackensack River is much better since the clean water act of the 70's but I still don't eat anything out of there, although it's probably not a big deal at this point. The Passaic River is still pretty dirty with garbage. I do see guys keeping fish around here sometimes though.

·
Registered
574 Posts
fishindick said:
I generally let everything go, but I may keep one or two a year out of Raritan Bay. The Hackensack River is much better since the clean water act of the 70's but I still don't eat anything out of there, although it's probably not a big deal at this point. The Passaic River is still pretty dirty with garbage. I do see guys keeping fish around here sometimes though.
passaic carp were huge back in the day. I can see the raritan bay or hudson river, but man your not going to need a flashlight at night if your eating the ones out of the hackensack!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I may eat two stripers and a couple of meals of bluefish all caught in the bay a year. I have never eaten anytyhing caught further inshore than that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts