BASS BARN banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if I can get some advice. I have a penn 330gti and would like to rig it with wire. I have never fished wire and would like to try it this spring.
First off, is this real capable of handling wire and if so what kind of wire should I get and how much of it?

Second, what kind of rod do I need for wire? Anything special to look for? I am not looking to spend a lot as I don't know if I will continue to use wire. I am looking more for a beginner set up and don't mind something that might only last a couple of years. With that being said, I have a custom rod with a roller tip and some heavy duty guides. I don't know what kind it is but is has a picture of a striper on it so it has to be good. - LOL - All it says is 40-80lb and it's a stand up style 6 footer. The thing is stiff as hell so I don't know if that matters or not as I don't troll and am a complete wannabe troller.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Keep in mind that wire line will mess up your rod guides if you do not have carbaloy guides or something similar. If you don't mind the guides going bad then I would go with a real cheap rod.

The other thing to consider is monel or stainless wire. Monel is much easier to work with and a little cheaper.

Good Luck. :)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Wire Line

you should have a roller tip at a min. a steel spooled reel not graphite. Alot of little things you need to be aware of . Have someone who knows how to do it show you before you go nuts

·
Registered
67 Posts
wire can be a really nasty experience if you dont know how to work it when you are letting out the line trust me i have a few scars to prove

·
Registered
63 Posts
fishy said:
you should have a roller tip at a min. a steel spooled reel not graphite. Alot of little things you need to be aware of . Have someone who knows how to do it show you before you go nuts
Yes, I agree with this. See if you can go out fishing with someone who is really good at fishing with wire line and look at how they deal with kinks and check out their equipment. I know so many succesful fisherman that fish with wire line and consistently have success. However, I personally do not have as much fun fishing this way and prefer using braided line with trolling weight(s) to get my lures deeper.

Good Luck :D

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I swear by leadcore line on my four 330GTI's with a 20' top shot of 80lb mono. They handle streches and umbrella rigs well, OK with spoons.....

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Plenty of guys can set you up with a wire line pole and reel. My first one was a Star and it has done me well for a few years now,also a Penn reel with a chromed brass spool. This topic has been around forever so do a search and you will find as many opinions as there are bass in the sea. Just don't let anyone make you afraid.:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool

Yeah, I did a search and got so confused, I thought it might be better to post specific questions but I guess I am just more confused:confused: :D .

The thing about it is that I don't know anyone that uses wire and between me and my friends who normal jig, I decided to be the guinea pig and give it a try.

I talked to another buddy who just said he will give me a rod with a roller tip so I should have two roller tip rods to start with. Is that good enough to start? I really don't care if the guides get ruined and neither does he.

I am open to using braid but thought the planers and birds would be more of a pain in the arse.

·
Registered
45 Posts
wire line

you don't need a roller tip for wire line,just replace the tip with what they call a twillie tip it is made for wire line.the tip looks like a spring it is used for wire line dippsy rods on the Great Lakes

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
You mention planers and birds, you won't need them with braid. Nor will you need a planer with wire. With wire you put a real small swivel at the end so you can wind it through the guides, add 10-15 feet of mono and tie on a snap swivel. Then you add a weight if necessay, then some more mono...tied to the spoon, umbrella rig, etc. With strech's you can forget the weight you won't need it.

You'll be able to jig with that set up, AND you don't need any special guides. As for what type of guides your rod has, only a picture will tell, but if it has a striper on it, then it sounds like a wire line rod. HOWEVER it could be a tuna stick....take it too any tackle shop and ask.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
If you really want to fish with wire make sure that your roller guides are case hardened. I suggest that you try the lead core line. I works great, is easier to handle & you don't need specialized rod & reel requirements to handle wire line.
George

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Anthony C. said:
What weight lead core do you recommend?
Lead core line is sold differently than standard mono. I just did a search on e-bay. Mostly in the following poundage: 18, 27, 36 & 45#. Two hundred yard spools are normally color coded every 10 yards so you have a good idea of how much line you have out.
Average pirce is about $30 for a 2 hundred yard spool. My favorite rig is a Shimano TLD15 with 100yds mono with 200yd of 36# lead core topper. Match that with a 7-8' rod rated between 30-50 pounds. Make sure the rod has a gimbel installed and get yourself a fighting belt or a fighting chair with a gimbel cup.
e-mail me directly & I'll send you a phone number. It may be easier to answer your questions on the phone.
George

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Anthony C. said:
What weight lead core do you recommend?
I spool up with the 45 lb stuff, a 100 yards over 1/3 spool of mono for backing. I tie the top shot on with a modified uni, two times around with the leadcore, 3 or 4 with the mono. 60 or 80 pound leader, about 15 feet to a snap swivel....

The spool costs like 20 bucks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts