BASS BARN banner

newby secound mate

939 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  offshorebum 
#1 ·
hey guys.. figured hunten season is over so time to focus back on the fishen scene for this summer.. i am finally going to be able to devote my whole summer and stay down the beach house full time... i have been offshore fishing my whole life basically and would like to try and get into the maten scene... i most definently have to start up as a secound mate as i do not no anywhere near enough info to step right up into a first mate and would probably benefit just from ride alongs with a professional the first few times... if anyone has any suggestions or tips it would be greatly appreciated

#3 ·
Maybe if you put your location in your profile someone may actually be able to help you:p

In all seriousness, hit the docks hard is the right answer. As a matter of fact, find the bussiest charter dock wherever you may be and pump gas for them. You get to know the captains quick and will get some invites along the way.

#4 · (Edited)
I would suggest you start sending resumes to boats of interest. head boats are a good starting point, as well as the bigger inshore charters, it would benifit you to start inshore, learning how to interact with customers, tie basic rigs, and maintain equipment and move on and up from there. When you mate offshore you need to be prepared to work ridiculous hours, back to back, to back to back. You need to be familiar with alot more than fishing, you need to be able to maintain the boat and familiarize yourself with all its equipment, you need to learn anchoring techniques, etc. etc. most importantly you need things done efficiently and safely. Get certified in CPR and First Aid, and enroll yourself in a drug testing programing.

If your in it for the money your better off getting a job at Hoys 5&10 because the amount of hours you put in do not reflect in the pay. You need to truely love what your doing to be a successful mate. Good luck, if you need some help with contacts in the capemay area feel free to email me.

Josh

#6 ·
I would suggest you start sending resumes to boats of interest. head boats are a good starting point, as well as the bigger inshore charters, it would benifit you to start inshore, learning how to interact with customers, tie basic rigs, and maintain equipment and move on and up from there. When you mate offshore you need to be prepared to work ridiculous hours, back to back, to back to back. You need to be familiar with alot more than fishing, you need to be able to maintain the boat and familiarize yourself with all its equipment, you need to learn anchoring techniques, etc. etc. most importantly you need things done efficiently and safely. Get certified in CPR and First Aid, and enroll yourself in a drug testing programing.

If your in it for the money your better off getting a job at Hoys 5&10 because the amount of hours you put in do not reflect in the pay. You need to truely love what your doing to be a successful mate. Good luck, if you need some help with contacts in the capemay area feel free to email me.

Josh
Right on Josh! Being reliable and being able to do hard work for little gain in the monetary department is key! Being CPR/FA certified is a huge bonus, and as Josh said, BEING DRUG FREE AND IN AN APPROVED RANDOM DRUG TESTING PROGRAM IS A MUST. No boat will hire a liability.
My mates make good money, but when you look at the 40-50 hours they just worked straight for one trip (not including gettin' her ready for every trip which involves getting down the night before, and sometimes even wrenching on her till a hour or two before you leave) and think about it, its not so good of a deal.

(Captains dont usually get rich either, sometimes my mates make more than I do!!!)

There is one reason Josh and I and a ton of other people put ourselves through hell! We do it for the love of the game... Nothing beats the smell of diesel motors warming up in the morning to a hot a cup of black coffee!

Good luck finding a job! Shoot me an email, I may be able to provide you some part time work this summer and help you on your way!

Brian

#7 ·
guys i dont mind the long hours and i work hard.. when i fish with my friends there are times we will fish all week and thats fine with me.. plus all the preping baits and cleaning the boat up... but i appreciate all the responses and yess i intend to walk the docks every chance i get.. im sorry to whoever had said my location not being in my profile.. i am from indian river but will travel to jersey or preferably ocean city maryland.. but i appreciate it all thanks guys!!! and yess i will shoot you an email to stay in contact and to hear any more info you may have to offer!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.