BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a 7' e-glass rod built at Bogan's for Tog. I was considering buying a Newell for it. I've never owned a Newell and I'm not familiar with there size/model #'s. What models should I look for that are between the size of an Avet sx and Shimano 700s? I want a low height frame. Still undecided if I'm going to go w/ 30lb. mono or 40lb. PP. Thx!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I have 3 sx's love em all i used to own newells back in the day but i think the new avets are superior.
You can probable even get away w 50lb braid on the avet

·
Registered
15,264 Posts
I'm getting a 7' e-glass rod built at Bogan's for Tog. I was considering buying a Newell for it. I've never owned a Newell and I'm not familiar with there size/model #'s. What models should I look for that are between the size of an Avet sx and Shimano 700s? I want a low height frame. Still undecided if I'm going to go w/ 30lb. mono or 40lb. PP. Thx!
I can't help you with the Newell reel, I don't know their models well enough. The sx is a good reel for togging as is the mx if you ask me.
As for the line I hate PP but love braid and for tog 40 minimum and I use 65lb myself.
I use 65lb on the braid 50-60lb on the leader and make it ~ 10ft long and tie a dropper loop for the hook and a surgens loop for the sinker. I then tie the hooks with 40 lb leader material. You will lose rigs everyone does and when snagged up due to the hook I just as soon only lose the hook and put another one on and keep fishing in lieu of tying new rigs on all the time. When you snag up the sinker it typically breaks at the knot so all you have to do is retie a dropper loop into the leader and it just gets shorter throughout the day.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Newell Reel

I have a custom rod from Bogan's and satisfied with it they are keepers.My Neweel s229-5 in my opinion the Shimano14 Torium or theShimano Trinidad TN12 would be a better choice than the S229- 5 Newell and thats onlymy thought for what worth

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thx for the reply's. Just to give a little more info for what I'm shooting for...I usually use an SX and 700s on 3 graphite Lamiglas rods I have. I want to get away from the fast graphite feel for toggin' and bring it back to an "old school" glass blank. I figured going w/ a Newell (bullet proof old school), and mono will give the flex/stretch for the Poppa Tog from breaking off (pulling hooks). My second choice for the reel would be an Avet MXL
Mike, I pretty much fish the same rig as you.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
My tog reel preference is my Penn Senator hi speed 3/0. It has an ~ 4:1 gear ratio, but with the large spool diameter I am very happy how quickly it will bring you up from 100ft (plus or minus).

The 3/0 reel has more than enough snuff to bring in a large tog, and in fact, can handle strtipers, drum, etc. I also happen to have a 7'-6" Bogan custom tog stick and and very happy with it combined with the 3/0.

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
dont forget about the old school squidders or jig master as an old school reel.. mike hammer put a post up last week... newells are good reels though imo

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
the 220 newell are great on a light tog stick
the 229 is another good choice
the 235 is wider but good for a heavier rod
the 322 is a nice reel,

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I have a custom rod from Bogan's and satisfied with it they are keepers.My Neweel s229-5 in my opinion the Shimano14 Torium or theShimano Trinidad TN12 would be a better choice than the S229- 5 Newell and thats onlymy thought for what worth
I agree with the Torium 14. The best features are star drag, and more importantly, a counterbalanced handle. Most reels have "Power" handles.
There is no question that a counterbalanced handle cranks more comfortably. Philly's suggestion, Squidder or jigmaster both have it.
What I like about star drags is that it takes longer to adjust, so it is harder to over or under adjust. Being able to engage or disengage the dog on a star drag is very important, as the drag pressure remains the same, independant of the dog. With lever drag it isnt easy to get it "just right" and a lot harder if you have a Blackfish going berzerk at the other end.
DopicDick has a good point, the 3/o. While not counterbalanced, it just has a good "feel" to it, and probably under $100.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Have they gotten supply sorted out? Last time I looked around Newells seemed tough to find as they'd changed hands after Carl Newell passed and were just getting back to producing reels in volume.

I've had a 235 lefty for a few years and I dig it...one of the only star drag/non-levelwind/castable conventionals out there available lefty. It lives on a Trevala for the occasional bridge mission and wrecks. I'd like to get another for a heavy surf bait rig.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thx for all the replies. Now I have some good choices to compare. The rod I had built was ALL black (Stealth Stick) :thumbsup: so I'd like an all black reel to match it. I've heard shops were not hearing from the new Newell owner regarding supply, which is a shame. Hopefully he gets things together and continues this legendary line.

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
I see even CharkBait in California says the Newell reel owner is MIA.

I have a few that you can hold and compare if you are ever in Beach Haven..but they are not for sale, love them for inshore trolling.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I can't help you with the Newell reel, I don't know their models well enough. The sx is a good reel for togging as is the mx if you ask me.
As for the line I hate PP but love braid and for tog 40 minimum and I use 65lb myself.
I use 65lb on the braid 50-60lb on the leader and make it ~ 10ft long and tie a dropper loop for the hook and a surgens loop for the sinker. I then tie the hooks with 40 lb leader material. You will lose rigs everyone does and when snagged up due to the hook I just as soon only lose the hook and put another one on and keep fishing in lieu of tying new rigs on all the time. When you snag up the sinker it typically breaks at the knot so all you have to do is retie a dropper loop into the leader and it just gets shorter throughout the day.

Makes perfect sense Mike (as do most of your posts) What knot do you use for the braid to mono connection? Have you ever had a break at that point?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Makes perfect sense Mike (as do most of your posts) What knot do you use for the braid to mono connection? Have you ever had a break at that point?
Fished for tog with two of my friend Mike's rods yesterday, as my gear was 130 miles away at my CMCH place and we went strighyt from Reading to AC to the Karen Anne II. I think he uses an Albright for the braid to mono, but wouldn't bet my life on it.

Mike's philosophy on the line weights is perfect. I got snagged several times on sticky bottoms and structure yesterday. When I simply could not get free and had to break off, I lost either the sinker or the hooks, not the mono shock leader--sometimes a piece of it though--and was able many times when I lost the hooks to tie another dropper loop in the line and re-rig right away, no lost time. The 10 ft shock leader still had about 6-8 ft on at the end of the day.

I personally did not do well with Mike's "sturdy" rod--all backbone from tip to handle, a custom acid wrapped rod Mike made. Did very well switching to his 7 ft St. Croix with a Penn 975 star drag reel (level wind was removed).

Rig was well balanced and very smooth.

Rod was : Premier Graphite St Croix Red, all graphite 7 ft 7 eyelets, cork handle.

PC70MH, line wt 12-25#, Lure wt 1/2-1-1/2 oz.

We all limited out and threw a 10 and a 13 pounder back, along with probably 30 more keeper size to 7 pounds.

Mike is a great help to many of us, and fun as hell to fish with.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
...........Now I have some good choices to compare. The rod I had built was ALL black (Stealth Stick) :thumbsup: so I'd like an all black reel to match it..............
You're going to love the FP rod. :thumbsup:

If you want to stay all black, a black Avet SX with 65 lb braid on it will look and perform. :cool:

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Fished for tog with two of my friend Mike's rods yesterday, as my gear was 130 miles away at my CMCH place and we went strighyt from Reading to AC to the Karen Anne II. I think he uses an Albright for the braid to mono, but wouldn't bet my life on it.

Mike's philosophy on the line weights is perfect. I got snagged several times on sticky bottoms and structure yesterday. When I simply could not get free and had to break off, I lost either the sinker or the hooks, not the mono shock leader--sometimes a piece of it though--and was able many times when I lost the hooks to tie another dropper loop in the line and re-rig right away, no lost time. The 10 ft shock leader still had about 6-8 ft on at the end of the day.

I personally did not do well with Mike's "sturdy" rod--all backbone from tip to handle, a custom acid wrapped rod Mike made. Did very well switching to his 7 ft St. Croix with a Penn 975 star drag reel (level wind was removed).

Rig was well balanced and very smooth.

Rod was : Premier Graphite St Croix Red, all graphite 7 ft 7 eyelets, cork handle.

PC70MH, line wt 12-25#, Lure wt 1/2-1-1/2 oz.

We all limited out and threw a 10 and a 13 pounder back, along with probably 30 more keeper size to 7 pounds.

Mike is a great help to many of us, and fun as hell to fish with.:thumbsup:
Thanks Dopic!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts