BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going on my first night fishing extravaganza next week and was wondering what to look for in regards to fishy areas. I am thinking about hanging aroung lighted areas and small creeks that enter into the back bays. I will be fishing from a 16 ft skiff so I usually stick to the back bays. If anyone has any other suggestions they would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Just know the area you are fishing before you go out at night. You dont want to learn the area at night. Hight tide flats, lights, deep sods....its all pretty decent. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
feathersnfins Hip covered it, I'll just reenforce the being familiar with the area. Also welcome to the board & I look forward to some great reports. BtW if anchored near the light line on a bridge, I am partial to the up-tide side. Good luck & be careful. Ron

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Like Hip and Sparse said. Make sure you know the area. Check it out during the day. Sometimes small creeks may be deeper in the creek than at the mouth. You don't want to pull an all nighter in some creek cause you can't get out. At night even when you are familar with the area it looks totally different. Spend some time looking how the water flows off certain points that may form little rip lines and where you can set up to cast your line into them without spooking the fish. Big key is look for baitfish. If there is bait, there is a good chance the predators will be close by. Good Luck and welcome to the barn. If you are new to saltwater fly fishing and Interested check out SouthJerseyCoastalFlyAnglers.com We have a meeting Tuesday night, you could get some first hand information on alot of areas and pick up some pointers. Good Luck

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I would love to get down to the meetings. Pretty tough with a 6 week old daughter. I am pretty new to saltwater flyfishing. I work at the sporting gentleman in Media, Pa. Alot of jersey guys are familiar with the flyshop. I teach casting and tying and do some guiding in the area. I grew up down in avalon so i am pretty familiar with the paddy's/hogspen area and the creeks around there. I have done a good amount of spin fishing in grassy sounds and North Channel near TI bridge. Again thanks for the info and I hope to be able to get to a meeting soon. My trout unlimited meetings are on 1st tuesday and DU meetings are usually on thursdays so I'll chat with the wife. Were do you guys meet. i know there is a club that a couple of buddys are in that meet off of route 40 near the delaware memorial. If that is you guys I'll will easily be able to make it.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I happened upon the sporting gentleman last fall. Cool shop. Lots of cool gifts for fisherman.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
SJCFA meets in Sewell, NJ, a little bit south of Philly on the NJ side. It's pretty close to Rt 322 and Rt 55. I think our club is closer to Media than SJFF in Carneys Point (the one you're thinking of).

Fishing at night is very different than in the day. First, you can't see your line! Getting to know the feel of your casts, and how your flies act in the water, will greatly help with your night fishing success. The areas that hold fish during the day may not be productive at night, and vice versa. A good example would be a shallow flat (less than 3ft) off a sod bank. It's probably barren of fish during the daylight, but after dark it'll be loaded with fish chasing bait. Or, a beach full of swimmers in the daytime might be a great fishing spot well after dark. Like it was said before, know the areas you'll be fishing well during the daylight before venturing out to them in the darkness, especially in a boat. If you know the backwaters behind Avalon/SH, all the better. Start fishing the same areas you would during the day, then gradually work towards areas you wouldn't think hold fish. You might be surprised! :D Night flies should be primarily black and able to push water, but that doesn't mean you should banish all other flies from your nighttime assortment. I've done well with white/red flies, pink flies, and even thin clear surf candies after dark. But mostly black water-pushing patterns work the best. A 4-5" black bucktail deceiver is a good searching pattern.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Twio more things you might want to cosider if this is your first trip at night take bug spray and also this time of year keep an I on the fog. It can roll in on you pretty quick. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Yep good point. Once that thick fog sets in, you'll either be thanking yourself for getting a GPS, or wishing you had one! That fog gets pretty bad in the fall, too (warm water, cool air).

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
hmmm makes me wonder that the night I went fishing in the back bay and snagged a 5" mullet and 5" croaker on successive casts, that perhaps I should have stayed there looking for predators to come snooping around? I mean, I found the bait, but didn't get any other action to show for it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Feathersnfins,

WOW!!!

I caught my first "striper on the fly" with a fly from the Sporting Gentelman in Media, Pa. AND it just so happens that I caught it in T.I. @ night,, from the sod bank,,, you should have even more fun from your skiff!!! You are definitely talking to the right bunch of guys when it comes to this specific topic,, if it were not for your store and the advice from the guys on this site, I would probably STILL be looking for the first one.... Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Just got back from SJCFA meeting. We had a first hand report from a fly fishman that had a fly stick in his eye. He was fishing at night and it caused serious damage. NUMBER ONE Use safety Glasses while casting at night. I always do and forgot to mention it. I take it for granted that everyone does. It is cheap insurance. Think about it, wind from the wrong direction and we have all gotten hit while casting a fly at one time or another. You eyes are the only part that can't take even a small hit. At night you really can never be sure exactly where the line is that you are flinging and even if you don't get the hook, the head of the fly can cause serious injury.

Too bad, everyone couldn't make tonights meeting. We went over safety on the sodbanks, jetties and boats. Lot of good information and ideas on equipment that the smart fisherman would carry.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Yes, eyewear is always the number one thing I forget to mention about night fishing. I'm glad Tom brought that point up! Even if you're a good caster, you never know. It's just plain stupid to take the risk if you don't have to.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Probably goes without saying, but listening at night can really help. Also watching your wake may help you avoid a Sod Bank, on that note trollong a plug while your feeling your way around will keep you moving slow and might get you something.

For flies, I really like to put a small teaser fly in 12-18" in front of my primary fly. I like something bulky on the bottom and something small in front of it, most fish hit the teaser. If you run into weakies I prefer to deaddrift with 2 smaller flies. I've always eard black at night, but prefer yellow and/or chartreuse. Probably just the colors I like!

Good Luck!

Wasteman

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the helpful info. I will put all the suggestions to work this sunday and monday and give a report.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts