BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We talked about tactics. How about some talk on go to flys. Sodbank, boat or beach, dark night and you got to catch a fish, you are hungry and you need to eat. (no preasure) What do you use, color, and how do you strip it? You have your safetly glasses on, you got your glow in the dark line, you in a spot where there are fish. Now what are you going to do? No stopping at WAWA.

·
Banned
964 Posts
BLACK JIGGY! or BLACK BANGER!
Worked well for me in the fall.
Haven't had a chance at the night gig (on the fly) yet this spring/summer... Hoping to find out soon... Got some Green/Black barred Semper Flyes and some black Siliclones I want to try.. Hopefully late on 7/2...

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Topwater flys untill completly dark, but thats just because I enjoy the top so much! In the dark, I mean real dark( a few hours after sunset) Shadowlines at bridges are a great place to fish. Any small cut or creek mouth will hold fish, expecially as the tide starts to ebb.
Deceivers, SeaDeucers,Jiggys and sliders round out my "in the dark" assortmrnt.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
No....WAWA....? (GASP!!)

My go to is a 5" bucktail deceiver, preferrably black, or something similar. Next would be a white, chartruese, or pink jiggy/clouser (not black, you say?), and after that would be an M-80. I don't like black "bottom flies" at night because I think white or some bright color shows up better against the dark opaque bottom. I use black jiggies and clousers at night, but I often have better success with lighter colors. It doesn't seem to be true the other way around, though. With high floating flies that the fish is underneath looking up at, the dark blue sky (remember, the sky is never totally black) silouhettes a black fly much better than a light-colored one. And the brighter the moon gets, the lighter my flies get. On a full moon night, when I'm actually fishing, I'll use white.

Oh yeah, slow strip. The slower the better. Even a dead drift in the current, if possible. After dark, baitfish slow down and stripers are less likely to chase or slash at something violently as opposed to sipping it in. That's why most hits after dark are usually just a subtle tug on the line.

[ 06-23-2004, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Big black Semper Fleye or big black deceiver slowly striped. Olive over white Jiggy has worked well for me late night as well.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Good question You all know mine is clouser or deceiver. I'm not convinced color is all that important, but I still like chartreuse & white although I do have some black & some with spun heads to push some water. I'm not sure about retrieve rate as all will work sometime & none will work sometime. When fish are there & I'm getting no hits I will go smaller. Best night was 23 bass to the boat on a wisp of a deceiver. BTW, I think the engine doesn't bother fish after dark. Anybody else feel the same? Ron

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The two patterns that I would rely on, one has a name and the other is my own. A whistler olive over white with bead chain not dumbell eyes with a olive grizzly hackle colar.The second is a fly that I call my bay fly. Long pause between short strips.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got back from helping daughter work on condo. I was thinking about going out now but I am beat. I knew this would get the juices going. Looks like everyone has a little different idea and they all work. I am addicted to the popper (I usually use light colored ones) and it appears that just as it gets real dark the fish have a hard time taking the fly. I seem to get twice as many hits on the popper, at that time, but belive they have a hard time seeing it well enought to swallow it. My hook up percentage falls off. By putting a sub-surface fly on the hookup percentage goes up, but I hate to give up that surface action.

I like a all black popper idea or a black silicone they might just be near enought to the surface to still get the surface strike.

I hope to try a few more different flys and see how I make out. Seems like we have a good mix of Some like the Dark flys and some like the light.

We all agree that slower movement is the key. Gives us all something to think about. I wish I could see as well as the fish do, cause I hate changing flys at night.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back to the drawling board for Dave and I. Last night we tried alot of differnt flys with no luck. There were alot of possible factors making for a slow night, so it wouldn't be fair to judge our results. Will have to try again for fair assessment.

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
It looks like I'm going to be down at a SUPER SECRET JETTY on July 18th and plan on hitting it at night... probably very late night or early morning. I'll report back on any success

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Rob:
Ya want company?? :D

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
Dave,

I'm definitely down there on the 18th, I'll confirm back with you on whether I'll be there overnight... which looks definite right now.... but ya never know. I'd love the company as I haven't flyfished with anyone in the salt for quite a while. :cool:

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dave, would be a good man to fish with. He can give you some good tips too. If the fish are there Dave is the guy that can get them.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Of course, when I'm on your boat, reverse everything you just said.....
(Just kidding).

The secret jetty can be a tough place to fly fish (mostly because of the people standing directly behind you), but I grew up there, so I know all the in's and out's, tricks and lore, flies and foibles... Last time Rob was there he did pretty well, if I recall, so maybe lady luck is on his side. I could use some of it, too :D .

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Swimming pop-lip proved it's worth. It may take some time to make, but Derek definately showed why it should be in your aresenal. I have had good luck at that same spot with plain swimming mullet, but believe that little extra kick from the lip, makes it even better.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Surfcowboy, I see that someone else likes that pattern. I tie that pattern a little different than shaping the lip with silicone. You can buy suction cups that are 3/4 of an inch in dia. Just trim with scissors to the shape you want and an added bonus they are transparent. Any craft store has them for about $1.50 per 12. It makes tying the fly alot faster and the lip comes out perfect every time.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bill, Sounds like a good tip. The lips are the hardest part about those flys. Did you pick up on that idea Dave? Dave said he was going to make some up for the next time he gets out with me.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Ray, I am coming down tonight and will be fishing each night this weekend. I also use those for my poppers. If you see me come over and I will give you a couple to try.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts