BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was closed yesterday.....and the traffic leaving town was backed up on the Toll Bridge INTO Ocean City. If a tsunami pops up...you ain't getting outta town
I was sniffin around the toll bridge and saw the traffic barely moving. Just a hint as to what will happen if the old 9th. St. bridge can't survive the building of the new 9th. St. bridge

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
As of last night around 11PM it was still closed,
and I saw that they were hosing it down with water trying to cool off the metal span that was stuck... Its not going to be pretty down there
for some time once the construction starts...

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by jc:
Any idea when they are going to close the causeway?
First Phase of the project should be starting sometime next year I believe..Don't expect a complete closure of the causeway,but there should be lane closures ;)

[ 08-05-2005, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by jc:
Any idea when they are going to close the causeway?
The plan is not to close it during construction. My guess is the same thing that happened in the toll bridge project will happen here. The old bridge won't take the pounding from the new constuction and they'll have to close it.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I ran into that mess tryin to get to fin-atics after work yesterday. Pure nightmare. Cut into my fishing time. Someone mentioned to me that the construction won't be finished until 2010. Is this true.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Opened at 3:30am this morning

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Hey Jeff/Longcast,

Any Update On This Project ???

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
From the AC Press:

August 5, 2005

Feeling the heat
By MICHAEL MILLER Staff Writer, (609) 463-6712, E-Mail

OCEAN CITY - Summer heat closed the Route 52 causeway drawbridge for a second day Thursday, creating traffic woes in an already congested part of Cape May County.

Steel parts on the drawbridge expand on especially hot summer days. The high temperature at Atlantic City International Airport was 96 degrees Thursday, according to the National Weather Service.

When the bridge tender opened the drawbridge to let boats pass at about 3:15 p.m. Thursday, the drawbridge would not close properly.

Ocean City firefighters responded for the second day, stretching 800 feet of hose up the causeway to spray the bridge with water. This impromptu cooling system worked Wednesday to drop the draw span after about 15 minutes of dousing.

Thursday was a different story. After more than two hours of spraying - and more than 100,000 gallons of water - the bridge still would not close properly, firefighters said.

As of 9:45 p.m. Thursday, the bridge was still out of service. Firefighters said the state was sending an engineer to Ocean City but did not know when the bridge might reopen.

Ocean City police Sgt. Doug Klipp said, "They can bring it down, but it won't close completely. It has a 1- or 2-inch raise. It's not the heat-expansion problem anymore. They have state engineers there now deciding how to fix it. As of right now, they don't know why it won't close. They're hoping to have it ready by morning. But it's expected to be (out of service) most of the night."

It was at least the third time this summer the bridge has been closed because of heat.

Police set up detours to the 34th Street and the Ocean City-Longport bridges. The Beesleys Point Bridge between Somers Point and Upper Township has been closed for more than a year.

The Route 52 causeway has two drawbridges. The bridge nearest Ocean City was the culprit this week and again on July 10.

"We have that same problem on a number of steel bridges in New Jersey," said Marc Lavorgna, a spokesman for the state Department of Transportation. "The drive system that moves the bridge is old and out of date. New (drawbridge) systems are built differently."

DOT spokesman Brendan Gill said old drawbridges were built with joints that are designed to allow heat expansion. But as the bridges age, these joints get narrower and narrower.

"The steel keeps pushing the beam farther and farther back," Gill said. "So they don't close as smoothly and properly."

Lavorgna said the simple solution is to replace the bridge, which is exactly what the state DOT is doing with the Route 52 causeway. Construction crews took soil borings in July to prepare for pile-driving for the new bridge between Somers Point and Ocean City.

That bridge will be a tall, fixed span that will replace both drawbridges at a cost of $300 million.

To e-mail Michael Miller at The Press:

[email protected]

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
"The wheels turnin round but it's moving too fast.! Can't let go, but you can't hold on..! Can't turn round, but you can't stand still...!! If the thunder don't get ya, the lightning will!!!!!" :eek:

That's progress... :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.