BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thanks nj !!! what else do you want to add to make our sport any worse :huh: now your taking away our riverherring :eek: maybe we can all use our dipnets for butterflys instead:p all this state wants is money money money but in return we get what unmaintained woods, lousey beaches, more info go to " press of atlanticcity "i hope im wrong correct me if i am please :confused:

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
You're right that it's closed, but you are going to have a hard time selling to many people up and down the east coast that the river herring are not in trouble.

The root cause of the problem can surely be debated, but not the fact that there are fewer around...

RyanF

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
i remember in high school going with my friend, who worked a tackle shop in lbi area, to the trenton makes bridge and three of us limiting out quickly...filling a huge tank...and heading back to the pen in barnegat bay. from what i have heard things are really bad in the river. the question is are the river herring in trouble or are less just being able to make it our waters? either way, it makes sense to do what you can to help any fishery.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I remember standing on a wing dam on the PA side as a kid and throwing bare gold hooks for them. My dad and I snagged as many as we hooked in the mouth, they were that thick. Waste of a resource in retrospect. Poor man's shad fishing. If they are in decline, then it seems wise to shut it down. The upside is that I am sure there will be plenty of guys catching stiped bass by other means. The downside is there will be plenty of guys ignoring the regs this spring because they know more than those damn people with science degrees.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
The downside is there will be plenty of guys ignoring the regs this spring because they know more than those damn people with science degrees.
That, or they tell themselves that they know more just because they think it is the easiest way to catch a bass in the rivers...

RyanF

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
That, or they tell themselves that they know more just because they think it is the easiest way to catch a bass in the rivers...

RyanF
It' almost the only way to catch bass in the river when the herring come in... Before they come its all about the Bloodworm...

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
It' almost the only way to catch bass in the river when the herring come in... Before they come its all about the Bloodworm...
I don't really fish the river, but I know there are guys who do very plugging it, and a plug is not going to imitate any bloodworm. Sure live or chunked fresh herring are probably the quickest/easiest way to put fish in the boat, but the fact that they are looking for herring to eat is still a blessing.

Snagging and dropping is not the only way to catch a bass on bunker. It may be one of the easiest methods, but it is not the only way. That is all I am saying, the fishing may not be quite as simple, and that is going to force one of two things to happen to the guys who just say screw it:

1. People are going to become better fisherman, or
2. People are going to cheat/poach/lie and use herring illegally

RyanF

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
thanks nj !!! what else do you want to add to make our sport any worse :huh: now your taking away our riverherring :eek: maybe we can all use our dipnets for butterflys instead:p all this state wants is money money money but in return we get what unmaintained woods, lousey beaches, more info go to " press of atlanticcity "i hope im wrong correct me if i am please :confused:
You JUST found out about the Herring?? All the b+t's that 'used' to sell them posted all through last year that no one would be selling or buying herring anymore starting this year. NJ gave plenty of heads-up about it. This IS one species that is on the brink of a total collapse - just as the Stripers were in the 80's. Just wish they would have done the same--5 year moratorium--instead of 'CLOSED TIL FURTHER NOTICE'.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I reported almost 5 years ago that River Herring would be shutdown BECAUSE NJ does not have the resources to study this species AND there are 4or 5 more species moving up the list because NJ does not have the resources to study
When they keep adding Species to the list of species with insufficent data for ASMFC you can take your FREE REGISTRY and enjoy a day golfing
I doubt if data would support anything but a clousure BUT if there was data being gathered past 5-6 years we "may" have been able to avoid a complete shutdown and maybe recreational fishermen could have at least been able to keep a few.
I suspect this will be a LONG shutdown

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Caught plenty of Bass on Mackerel and clam even when the herring were there. Given the choice I will take the herring. Given the choice to not fish or use other I chose other many times with good results.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I reported almost 5 years ago that River Herring would be shutdown BECAUSE NJ does not have the resources to study this species AND there are 4or 5 more species moving up the list because NJ does not have the resources to study
When they keep adding Species to the list of species with insufficent data for ASMFC you can take your FREE REGISTRY and enjoy a day golfing
I doubt if data would support anything but a clousure BUT if there was data being gathered past 5-6 years we "may" have been able to avoid a complete shutdown and maybe recreational fishermen could have at least been able to keep a few.
I suspect this will be a LONG shutdown
How can you turn this into a saltwater registry/NJ thing when the river herring closures are absolutely nothing unique to the state of NJ? It is up and down the eastern seaboard, in states with and without license fees.

RyanF

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i heard plenty of rumors about it goin to happen i guess i was just in denial about the whole thing :huh:im just one of those people that hate change , im sure its for the better :confused:.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Some baits work better than others and bait fishermen will have to get use to the others. I all but stopped fishing for stripers with bait many years ago when it struck me I was basically carp fishing. Especially when you aren’t going to keep them. I river fish for stripers and catch my share. Some are caught on spoons, some on poppers some on plugs and none on bait. The only bait I use is occasionally I’ll through a clam off the beach.

BTW it’s not just the herring. All of the shad/herring family are in trouble.

Old-guy

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea i know but i dont know its just fun fishin for them just waiting to feel the bumping in the net and plus its just another reason to be outdoors im sure it will be back one day

·
Registered
771 Posts
How can you turn this into a saltwater registry/NJ thing when the river herring closures are absolutely nothing unique to the state of NJ? It is up and down the eastern seaboard, in states with and without license fees.

RyanF
Ryan,
BW is right. NJ does not know the actual status of the stock because the marine fisheries administration does not have the money to collect data on them. And it will happen to otber species down the road. Your elected officials that control funding have ingnored the value of NJ's recreational and commercial fisheries for decades by not providing adequate funding, now were all going to pay by closures and low bag limits and short seasons. A lot of people don't want to admit it, but its true.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There are certainly many factors that have bought river herring to their current status but if nothing is done to curtail the huge bycatch in the atlantic herring fishery this condition will not improve. While I do believe they need protection and a moritorium is probably called for, I also don't believe guys taking 10 baits each to go fishing are causing the harmful impact here.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I disagree...10 fish may not seem like a lot, but let's assume 5000 fishermen in the state. Let's assume those guys each take 10baits a trip...that's 50000 fish per trip...now let's assume those guys fish 20 days a year...that's a million fish a year...little numbers add up quickly. I think we can all agree that 5000 fishermen going 20x a year are looowwww estimates. Throw into that that any pa or de fishermen that are gonna fish nj waters and it goes up even faster. If you assume 50000 fishermen across the state and out of state in a given year, making 20 trips your looking at 5million fish.

Now I agree its not a problem soley with sport fishermen, as commercial boats probably do 1/2 to 1 million fish a day++++, you can't discount the impact we make.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts