BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is and email I just received from Brandon Muffley. Hopefully, one of the site administrators will put this in poll format.
Summer Flounder Recreational Management Options for 2012

Option Size Limit (inches) Bag Limit Open Season # days open
2011 regs 18 8 May 7 – Sept 25 142
1 18 8 April 28 – Oct 14 170
2 18 8 May 5 – Oct 21 170
3 18 8 April 21 – Oct 8 171
4 18 8 May 26 – Oct 28 156
5 17.5 5 May 5 – Sept 28 147
6 17 3 May 29 – Sept 1 96
NJ Black Sea Bass Management Options for 2012

Options Size Limit (inches) Bag Limit Open Season # Days Open
2011 regulations 12.5 25 – fish May 28 – September 11 and
November 1 – December 31 168
A 12.5 25 - fish May 22 – October 11 and
November 1 – December 31 204
B 12.5 25 - fish May 19 – October 14 and
November 1 – December 31 210
Option B would also be open Jan 1 through Feb 28, 2013 in order to be consistent with proposed federal water regulations with a 15 fish bag limit.
Option A represents the current regulations in place for federal waters.Option B represents the proposed regulations for federal waters.

Hi Fluke and Sea Bass Council Committee and Advisors,
Hope everyone is doing well.
Thanks for taking the time last week to sit down and discuss NJ's management strategies and scenarios for the 2012 Summer Flounder and Black Sea Bass recreational seasons.
After input from the advisors, Marine Fisheries staff and Law Enforcement staff - the Council Committee agreed to advance the 6 different summer flounder options and 2 black sea bass recreational options to the full Council. The options are provided in the attachment. Remember, the Council will make their final determination based on the discussion and comments provided at the Committee meeting and from input at their full Council meeting - it is not a public vote with the option getting the most "votes" at the Council meeting being selected.
The full Marine Fisheries Council meeting will be on March 1, 2012 at 4:00 P.M. in Toms River at the Toms River Township Meeting Room, LM Hirshblond Room, 33 Washington St, Toms River.
Thanks again for your input and hope to see many of you next week.
Brandon
Brandon Muffley, Chief
Bureau of Marine Fisheries
N.J. Division of Fish and Wildlife
ph: 609-748-2020
fax: 609-748-2032
e-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
I would like them to adopt option 2 for fluke... 170 day season would be great!

·
Registered
14,014 Posts
I like option #6 for fluke. Would probably reduce the mortality rate of released fish and allow most fishermen to bring something home for the table. Also would allow more of the breeders to remain in the ocean.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think option 6 is the worst one start giving up days and pretty soon we will have a 30 day season but we can keep a 16 fish wow. I would like the longest season we can have hate releasing a good size fish because it is out of season just my preference

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
I really like option 5. About the only thing it sacrafices is a week or 2 on the early end. 5 is plenty enougj for me.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Options 5 & 6 both sound good for fluke, with option 6 being my preference. A 17-17.5 inch fluke is a nice size fish, especially later in the summer.

And option B is easily the best one for sea bass. We just need next winter to be like this one.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
We really need a smaller size limit...

...but option #6 going back to a Memorial Day to Labor Day season would be a bitter pill. I could even live with the 3 fish limit. Everyone should have a chance to take home dinner.

Option #5 is the only one that gives everyone a fair shake. I know a lot of fish that missed that 18" mark by the diameter of a short hair would have made a lot of people happy the last two years. For those select few that fish April and October you might miss out a trip or two, but if you can remember back a few months to 2011, May was cold and flounders weren't very cooperative. (Yes I know there are Barners that can catch Fluke in a barrel at will, but let's be realistic.) September was completely dead as a result of the hurricane.

We're going to have to compromise somewhere #5 is a reasonable choice.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Anything but #6.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
...but option #6 going back to a Memorial Day to Labor Day season would be a bitter pill. I could even live with the 3 fish limit. Everyone should have a chance to take home dinner.

Option #5 is the only one that gives everyone a fair shake. I know a lot of fish that missed that 18" mark by the diameter of a short hair would have made a lot of people happy the last two years. For those select few that fish April and October you might miss out a trip or two, but if you can remember back a few months to 2011, May was cold and flounders weren't very cooperative. (Yes I know there are Barners that can catch Fluke in a barrel at will, but let's be realistic.) September was completely dead as a result of the hurricane.

We're going to have to compromise somewhere #5 is a reasonable choice.
my thoughts exactly, number 5 looks good for most, weather wise also ...

Joe R.
20ft Classic SeaCraft
Susie II

1 - 20 of 50 Posts