BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Will there be enough food supply to sustain an increase in the shark population? Don't these people see that when you increase one population of predators it will decrease the population of prey? If there isn't enough traditional prey, an apex predator like a shark or a porpoise will adapt and start feeding on something else that is abundant. They want to increase the population of porpoise ,sharks,fluke,striped bass, amberjack and snappers, all of those fish are mid level or above on the food chain. What happens when you don't have enough food for all of these exploding populations? Have they even made a stab at answering that question? Or will they just blame the rec fisherman for that too? We are a great scape goat for the enviro's. If you want to save the fish then start by saving what they eat and where they swim, they will magically come back all by themselves without the help of Obama, NOAA and PEW.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
I have been trying to tell you guys that this was gonna happen.

It all depends if the NJMFC / DEP get there legislative package approved. As of right now NJ is not out of Compliance withe ASMFC ,,,, But this week is ASMFC week in VA. So by the end of this work week NJ could in fact be out of compliance.

Do I think we will have a shark season YES ,,, or at least I know I will. The one thing that make me nervous is any type of closing sharks enviros live for that. So we NJ have go get our Shark regs and others approved by Trenton then hope ASMFC say ok your cool.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Remember it is the same people who can't manage a fish that want to manage our health care

At this point it is Only a NJ problem Trenton sucks. Hopefully it remains a NJ problem !!!!

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
NJ chapter of the RFA has taken action. A letter was sent this past week to Governor Christe. Hopefully if the ASMFC finds NJ out of compliance this week, he will take action to rectify the problem.

http://www.app.com/article/20100130...-facing-a-potential-shutdown-of-shark-fishing

Before there is a lynch mob hanging the NJMFC all should know that they did there part. Trenton has messed this up !!!! That is why the NJMFC should have the power to do more then veto or make suggestions.

The thing that we have to pay close attention to is that sharks don't stayed closed. I'm sure that the shark Beetch is liken her chops. If you really want to help call your voted in Legislators and tell them to approve the NJMFC package for 2007, 2008 and 2009 well they are at it tell them to mind their own and let NJMFC do it's job.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I heard that South Jersey was canceling there shark tournament this year. Don't now the reasoning for it but a potential shutdown could be there reasoning.

From the SJMARINA.COM site:

http://www.southjerseytournaments.com/article.php?story=2010_shk_preview

2010 Shark Preview, June 10-13

Monday, December 07 2009 @ 01:58 PM MST

Just ask any shark fisherman and he’ll tell you that South Jersey’s annual Shark Tournament is the largest and most lucrative shark tournament around. To put it another way, it is THE standard for Mid-Atlantic shark fishing. In 2010, South Jersey Tournaments will celebrate the 30th anniversary of this perennial favorite, and nobody on the planet knows how to celebrate a fishing tournament like South Jersey.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.