BASS BARN banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a Garmin VHF radio in my hardtop. I would like to connect it to my Garmin GPS using the NEMA 0183 interface. The radio can't handle NEMA 2000. Does anyone know what type of wire I need to run between the radio and GPS and how many strands (2 wires or 4 1 pair or 2). I have cat 5 wire I could use or speaker type wire or do I need to buy something else? I would like to do this today and I can't call Garmin until Monday.

·
Vendor
952 Posts
You can use Cat 5 cable or any small gauge stranded wire (18-22gauge) , we have seen many boats with many different wires used. Ideally this is what you would want to use:
http://www.blueheronmarine.com/NMEA-0183-BiDirectional-Twisted-Pair-Cable-6796. While this is what we recommend you use it is not absolutely necessary and the other options will work. When using non-marine grade wire be sure the connections are sealed with shrink tubing as the wiring will be more susceptible to corrosion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.