BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started to read the local rag. Headlines Officials consider shortening beach buggy season by 6 weeks. :mad: Currently reads buggies off beach June to Sept. They want it to be May 15 thru Sept 15. But the kicker is the "buggies" can not come within 25 ft of the toe of the dune. This is Long Beach Twp on LBI.

I can remember no permits, on the beach anytime in my Uncles Model A "Back in the Day" .

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
This is bullshit!!!!!!! 25ft are you kidding me wtf there are places where there is not even 20ft from the high water level to the toe.....

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Forget about HC that is out of the question and you can only go so far south in Loveladies. If this is true i don't get it. even south in Ship Bottom you have to stay above the hill and that put you with in 25' of the toe. IMO if this is true it will not just be LBI Twp it will be the entire island soon.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LONG BEACH TOWNSHIP — The Board of Commissioners is exploring the idea of shortening the amount of the time that vehicles will be able use the beach.
An ordinance addressing the proposal is expected to be introduced during the commissioner's meeting March 20 at 4 p.m. at the municipal building, 6805 Long Beach Blvd., said Commissioner Ralph Bayard. The issue was discussed during the board's caucus meeting Tuesday morning.
"Right now the law states that buggies cannot be on the beach from June to September. This new ordinance would move that date back to May 15 through September 31," Bayard said. "The issue is safety ... some people come to the beach Memorial Day and they should not have to worry about beach buggies."
Aside from shortening the season, the ordinance will also limit the space beach buggies will be able to use. The proposed ordinance states that buggies cannot come within 25 feet of the toe of the dune.
"Through the years, some of the buggies have been getting too close," Bayard said. "We need to do all that we can to protect the dunes in the township."

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Is there going to be a meeting where the public can voice there opinion or is this a done deal?:rolleyes: If it is a done deal it is only the begining of complete shut down of buggie access on LBI and the other towns will follow suit with this to make the "RICH" on there Island happy:mad: I think this all started with the Holgate taxpapers assoc. for blaming the buggies for the wash out at the entrance to the refuge what crock of steaming poo:rolleyes:

I don't really mind the shorting of the drive on season but it is the amount of space between the toe and where we can drive, in a round about way the are going to close down around 75% of the beaches we can drive to productive water. I'll be DAMMED if I am going to buy a permit for LBT if this goes thru:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am glad I didn't buy mine yet. If this goes thru, I won't buy a permit and will properly not fish the island in protest. That shold get their attention. Hit them in the pocket. Tackle shops and other venues will miss the money.

I wonder if the shops know? Mike you are well connected out there. Do they know?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The word is starting to get around and I am sure some waves are going to be made about it. I am not connected with any politicos but there are people that I know that are. It would take alot for me not to fish BL!!!

I understand that they want to protect the dunes but where is the dune fence at on the north end? When was the last time "Those of us that fish in LBT" seen PD do a patrol on the beach? The only PD I see do patrol is Ship Bottom and Beach Haven....

I smell a rat!!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
It sounds like someone is trying to make a name for themselves here. Also,I thought that the driving season already ended on May 15 and started October 1st. If the distance is 25 ft, how does one drive on/off the beach.

And if they are really concerned about the dunes, sign those EASMENTS AND GET THE BEACH REPLENISHED.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I fail to see how driving on the beach affects the dunes. People and vehicles are not permitted on the dunes anyway. The bigger problem for protection is mother nature (regulate her) and the fact that houses were built next to the dunes. I'm not saying the people should not live there, but if you build there be prepared for what may occur.

Also, they want tax dollars to replenish the beach. They will lose my support in a heartbeat. And if they are eally concerned about the dunes beef them up with your own money.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Gone,

Another note. It starts here and goes further because someone doesn't know or understand fully the impact it will have. This could eventually restrick or stop all fishing on the beach. It has in several towns along the coast already.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I checked Long Beach Townshiop's web site. The minutes for the meeting on March 20,2208 are posted yet. In fact the last posting is November 2007. The next public meeting is April 4th. Ther maybe one sooner. Check their calendar. There are e-mail links to all the township employees as well. Check it out.

·
Registered
20,307 Posts
You guys that fish there need to get some info on this asap. Typically what happens is theyhave a bill introduction, then a first reading and vote and a second reading and vote. They are pulling this public safety crap up and down the coast. Let me know if you need some help. I may have some suggestions or could lend a hand where possible. The best lead people would be from the townships and county. They only seem to respect voting blocks.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
good post,michealc!
locals attending the meetings is always a smart move.it shows the politicians that we are keeping an eye on them.
please keep posting on the status of this proposal.should pack the courtroom at second reading!!!

·
Registered
20,307 Posts
Local fishing clubs are a good starting point but don't expect an automatic show of support. I was suprised down here at how little support we received from organized groups when we were working on the LP bridge. The national groups may help but I doubt that as well. They often have too many political ties to even try to help the little guy. Find out if any of the pols responsible for this are either anglers or up for election. One that is both is a jackpot. Also, the tackle shops can be real supportive. But they need some prodding.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Here we go again. I'll be surprised if any of the so called fishermen's right's groups (i.e. RFA) get involved. I've hinted at this before and I’ll say it very clearly now; We need a Land-Based Fishermen's Association to fight for the rights of those who don't fish from boats (private, party, charters, etc.). We are constantly faced with issues concerning access, seasonal restrictions (birds), and size regulations that certainly don't favor the land-based fishermen.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I am getting things started right now.

Right now I must do some fact finding on the guy that is pushing for this ordinance his name is Ralph Bayard so far from what I heard from some one that works for LBT he likes to be a hard *** but that will not deter my effort he is an elected
official. I am not sure when he is up for re-election.

I need all the help I can get, never went thru this before but now is the time. Mike give me at call at 609-548-0640

1 - 20 of 54 Posts