BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the upper bay fresh water or brackish? I am interested in fluke, striper, & crabbing. I guess my question is, how far south do I have to go to fish, and how far would I have to go to get a decent catch of crab? I've fished/crabbed the south jersey bays and inlets for most of my life. Also what are the regs. for crab & fluke? I know the crab size is larger than jersey & in my opinion 4.5" is to small to get any meat anyway. I love s. Jersey but I just moved & I'm roughly 30 mins from the C. Bay and obviously way easier & faster to get to the water. Another thing is I do all my fishing from land since I can't afford a boat, so any GENERAL fishing/crabbing areas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for any & all info!!!!! Tight lines & heavy traps to all!!!!!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Lots of stripers in the upper Chesapeake and loweer Susquehanna below Conowingo dam. Turkey Point on Elk Neck is a popular shore spot. Crabs will also be in this area late summer but better crabbing can be had on the eastern shore rivers. Flounder are normally below the Bay Bridge, Blues can be up pretty far up in late summer depending on salinity. Perch, catfish, herring, shad, and largemouth bass will also provide action. With all the money you'll save not paying Jersey taxes, its time to start boat shopping. Welcome to Pa.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Look into Rock Hall MD,Also the Chester River.These are brackish waters,not many flounder,pleanty of Rockfish(Bass) Awesome crabbing!

FC

·
Registered
972 Posts
Lots of crabs in the summer, late august and september they run big.. lots of white perch in the summer and schoolie bass, lots of yellow perch right now, and soon cow bass will be on the susky flats. Really good bass fishing too, LM bass that is, lots of 5lb bass to go around. Once caught a flounder just south of the sassafrass, but generally they're a lower bay fish. Bluefish can be thick late summer, can catch spot and croaker too, cownose rays and bunker around.. channel cats all across the board too. Have caught bluefish, catfish, striper, spot, cownose ray, LM bass, white and yellow perch, all in the same vicinity (in this case, around still pond). Tons of minnows along the shorelines of the chesapeake, net them and drop em around whatever structure you can find, youll catch all sorts of fish.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
www.tidalfish.com (Main board-Chesapeake bay) has lots of info for you..
Also crabbing board.

Upper bay starts out almost fresh and )typically) gets saltier as the summer progresses. last year was atypical due to all the summer rain.. Upper bay was very fresh and the bait and stripers left early..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.