BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come to the conclusion that many area boaters dont quite understand what the hell a kayak, let alone a fisherman in one, is doing in "their" waters. I have been doing this for about a month now, and have come in wayy to close for comfort proximity to boaters who seem to not give a sh!t about a harmless, environmentally freindly yakker.
It seems that my bright red 14' kayak is not a enough for boaters to see me. Boaters have sped past me, have sped up toward me only to steer away in the last 25 yards, and one boater did a doughnut whose starboard was nearly 15 feet away. Too close for me. Each of these moments i wasnt even given a cigarette or a blindfold! For some reason the other day, a clammer couple sped past me in a no wake zone nonetheless, and one guy called me a f***ing retard. Hey, even retards can catch fish! I am entitled to these waters as much as you are, so keep your flap shut! I'm a retard? Whose the clammer? To area boaters:(especially in ventnor), be nice to your boater friends, especially those with no motors!! Don't drive like a weekender!!! DOn't drive like you own the water either!! Its here for all of us. Thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
its not even safe for regular boats to be out on the ICW during the day in the middle of the summer. Best stick to dawn, dusk, night, or midweek if you want the actually enjoy fishing...

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Clutch,,
First Welcome to the BassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard.....

And I thank you for you post about this serious subject.Kayaking is becoming a very popular way of fishing these days.And like everywhere else respect for your fellow man is needed on the water as well...Hopefully posts like this will be seen and will be taken in consideration when
a Boat see's a kayaker on the water.We can not
hit the trottle and get out of the way fast.Common courtesy is needed for everyone to have a safe and wonderful day fishing & boating.
I have started fishing this way over the last couple of years and for the most part it has all been done late at night,not only because the fishing is good,but it is safer in my opinion,especially during the summer months. With
reports of this and whats happening at some of the ramps I don't want to even think of what July and August will be bringing us here at the shore...My buddy wants to run out during the day and Flounder fish with his wife with our kayak,and I just keep reminding him to be very careful and to be alert if he does....

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
clutch,

I have been yaking for several years now and can tell you that if you are looking for respect you are not going to find it where the big boats play. Most boaters are not intentionally trying to run you down but if you are paddeling down the middle of the channel you are a navigational hazard to them. You have to look out for yourself on the water and not expect others to do it for you.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CAPTKIRK, if i wasnt looking out for myself i would be dead by now. As for night fishing, its really safer at night?

·
Registered
98 Posts
One of the cool things about kayak fishing is getting in the skinny areas where boats dont dare travel. This time of year it's just inevitable that you're probably going to get pretty close to run over if you are in the wrong place.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
hey cluth, sorry for your experience. everyone almost gets run over in the summer. even boaters. i don't do the yak thing but everyone deserves respect on the water no matter what our vessel is. we were drifting along the sod banks a mid tide, went back to do the drift again and almost hit a yak coming out a small feeder creek. at low speed it wasn't much of a problem, just threw it into reverse. the words which were thrown my way were not deserving. i suggested some sort of flag, like they used to have for bikes, and was told to do some physicly impossible things. oh well. i'm not saying you did anything wrong just to be clear. anyway good fishing and watch out for everybody

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
Originally posted by clutch:
CAPTKIRK, if i wasnt looking out for myself i would be dead by now. As for night fishing, its really safer at night?
safer because there is not that many people on the water, I never fished from a yak, but if i did it would be at night...i would not do it alone i would bring two or three friends

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Originally posted by Lew'n aint easy:
One of the cool things about kayak fishing is getting in the skinny areas where boats dont dare travel. This time of year it's just inevitable that you're probably going to get pretty close to run over if you are in the wrong place.
Amen Lew - that is the bottom line. I like to go where no boat is able to go.

·
Registered
31,448 Posts
At night there's less boats but they also have a much tougher time seeing you. Be sure you have lights on and wear some reflective clothing. I saw a guy out in yak at night a few weeks ago. Dark clothes, no lights at all.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey cc19, that wasnt me for the record, but some things cannot be avoided. In my case i was out in open water both times.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
clutch,
You had me on your side until the comment about the clammer.

Try weekday fishing or night fishing when there is less traffic and more respectful boaters

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
clutch, i'm sorry. i didn't mean to sugest it could have been you. i was just trying to illistrate that it can go both ways. no harm intended. sometimes it's hard to be clear in the cyberworld. again, good fishing

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cc19, lol i didn't really mean that. I just don't want to come off like a hothead and ***** about every time a boater passes. I actually think its pretty cool being out there with the boats.
Hey Margaritaville, you should have said that you "agree with what i said, but i don't appreciate the clammer comment". Well, Mville, i don't appreciate being called a f***ing retard for no apparent reason by a person who makes a living on the water. They should know better than anyone else about boating saftey and especially about no wake zone rules. The thought of getting plowed over by a d*ckhead calling me a retard in a no wake zone in orange overalls kinda rubs me the wrong way too ya know.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I slowed down for a no wake zone last w/e and the speed boat behind me almost ran up my stern . I looked at him a little funny and he told me that boats should have brake lights. I asked him if he realised he was coming up to a no -wake zone and he flipped me the bird .those who really know me can only imagine what my responce was ! Any way I had the kids on the boat so I just laughed at him and told the kids that that guy thinks Im #1

·
Registered
324 Posts
i have been fishing back bay OC waters for years
growing up i used to flounder fish from corsons early in the morning but jet skis took care of that by always running through my line
(funny watching the line snap on thier neck)
it nice that sinkers have more than one use

i have completly skipped day time fishing back there from june to laborday the last 10 years
i yak in the spring and fall ...

night time isnt much better unless you stay away from the bridges but at the same time it can be quite a funny show to watch morons with generators hanging lights down on the water or guy with big boat poles trying to cast with 10oz sinkers... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz plunk

its just not worth the headaches and aggravation
your always critizing and yelling at some dumb weekender
the type who can't drive a boat under a bridge or sits in the channel UNDER a drawbridge during an opening to show his kids how it works while a big boat is trying to get through... but still is retarded enough to think he has a right to stay there

thats not relaxing or fishing to me ...
i'll take peace and quiet over catching fish anyday

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by MargaritaVille:
clutch,
ah nevermind, you'll never get it. :(

Hope you find a peaceful place to fish in your yak.
Mville, no offense to the clammers. Just had me heated thats all

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Let me tell you...
This is my second year with the canoe in the salt. Mostly I go out at night or before the jerks show up in late May. No problem.

Me and 'Da Wife' went out of Corsons early in the morning last summer. Got out the inlet no problem to enjoy the beach.

Came back through mid-afternoon....nightmare.
People on skis and in boats were going out of their way to mess with us. If I could of caught them I would of killed 'em for being bad sports and poor seamanship.

Whenever I have to cross open water during daylight I feel like I am stuck inside a frogger machine.

[ 06-14-2005, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: egghead ]

1 - 20 of 54 Posts