1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, It's Aug. 1,2004.....
The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission
(ASMFC) Finds that New Jersey is out of
Compliance and that we have taken too many BASS.
They CLOSE our Fishery becuase we could not
get our act together and decide on how to
fix this problem in a timely matter,and they
are not waiting any longer...

NO MORE STRIPER FISHING IN N.J. for the rest
of 2004....

What Would You Do ??

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I would just have to take the boat to Delaware and fish the Delaware side of the BAY......But I also think I would be golfing a little more then usual

·
Registered
88 Posts
new to the barn and get the message loud and clear , to many people say they want to help but don't, I'm not saying devote all your time but whatever little you can do will benefit the everyone......

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keppy382,
Welcome to the BassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard...............

Very Good Advise,,, Thanks....

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I can't see them closing our striper fishery before the fall run. If we need to take a hit I would imagine the size and bag limits will be more strict starting in 2005.
If they were to close bass fishing I would be fishing for weakfish and accidentally catching stripers.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Would it be illegal to FISH for Stripers or just to KEEP them?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Far26:
I can't see them closing our striper fishery before the fall run. If we need to take a hit I would imagine the size and bag limits will be more strict starting in 2005.
I hope this is the case Frank,but you
never know........

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by ReadyJettyGo:
Would it be illegal to FISH for Stripers or just to KEEP them?
Good Question ReadyJettyGo,,,,

Sort of like the same question we get here
every Winter during Jan.& Feb.when the Striped
Bass Season is Closed...
Can We Still Fish For Them, But Not Keep Them ?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
It would not be possible to close the season before the fall run. Closing the season would cripple Jersey's charter/party boats and tackle shops. Like Frank said they would have to have stricter size and bag limits in 2005, or shorten the striper season.

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
Why did Mr Foti seem to think WE needed to be different from the rest of the states even when the groups in the state wanted to be complient instead of bucking the system????

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a Follow-Up to the NO Striper Fishing Poll...
The Question Has Been Asked:

Do You Think the Atlantic States Marine
Fisheries Commission (ASMFC)will CLOSE our
Recreational Striped Bass Fishery for the
rest of 2004 ????

Yes ? , No ? , Maybe ?

And WHY ????

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
Steve I'm not sure this captures the right answers for everyone.

Would I stop fishing for stripers? Technically YES, in realilty NO. Chumming and fishign with bunker chunks is as much a bluefish tactic as it is a bass tactic.

Would I fish for stripers hoping I wouldn't get caught, NO I'd be fishing for bluefish.

Would I join the RFA, I'm already a member. Would I join the JCAA no way from what I've heard the ego maniac may cost us the fishery.

Would I call my politician to complain, NO already wrote to them once and I lost my right to complain when I didn't attend any of the hearings. Saying something after the fact is the wrong way to go.

Golf is for wussies

If I drink anymore I'm going to have to join AA.

There's no judge in the world that would convict you of fishing for stripers IMHO unless you had a dead one in your possession. We release 90% of the fish we catch anyway so what's releasing the other 10% going to change about a days fishing? Not a thing my friend!

So unless someone can prove that stripers are the only fish that inhabits DB or even the EEZ I will fish where I want. I can only control what goes in the box, not what bites my line.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
NO WAY IN HELL WILL THEY SHUT IT BECAUSE OF GAS TO GET THERE,GAS AND DEISEL,BAIT,TACKLE,FOOD,ROOMS,EATERIES,TOLLS,THE TRICKLE DOWN FROM THE ABOVE,MARINAS,BOAT REPAIRS.ALL THE TOURNEYS AROUND THE STATE.

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Originally posted by NIGHTSTRIKES:
Just a Follow-Up to the NO Striper Fishing Poll...
The Question Has Been Asked:

Do You Think the Atlantic States Marine
Fisheries Commission (ASMFC)will CLOSE our
Recreational Striped Bass Fishery for the
rest of 2004 ????

Yes ? , No ? , Maybe ?

And WHY ????
We may be declared out of compliance, but I believe we'll be bass fishing in October. ASMFC is smart enough to know that a closure would bring a political firestorm the likes of which hasn't been seen before. hey, maybe that's what we need.

·
Registered
723 Posts
i will be joining fishinpathetic fishing the deleware side.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I would hate to have to leave the areas I know, but Delaware is not to much further... fish on! What the heck, maybe I'll move to Delaware - no sales tax, property tax is much cheaper, lower car insurance, cheaper health insurance, and the last time I checked the politicians seemed to be doing their jobs instead of being charged with corruption.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would have to agree with Dgreenmachine in all but the drinkin thing. How ever I would not give up striper fishing, only striper KEEPING!After all your not supposed to go outside 3 nms for bass, but as long as you don't have any aboard they can't do anything about it.And about going to Delaware you still have to come back to jersey waters,so if your going to catch and release do it where you would anyway.just remember back to the 80's.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
My first thought is too be a Jack a$$ and say I would laugh my arse off. But after thinking about it for a second , I think that I would hunt down Mr.Fota and his gang (SF) "remember there helping the bass rebuild". Then I would dump 5000 boxes of ice cold fresh bunker on his and their heads. 5000 cause that is my goal for this upcoming fall.

I think that this whole issue is about greed and ego. Well men welcome aboard Sucks don't it. BTW I tried to tell ya so !!!

you can still catch them in NY , DEL and MD it's not that bad once ya get used too it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts