BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, looking for some info on the “commute” from deep in the Navesink (back close to the rte 35 bridge) out to the tip of the hook. I have read conflicting things on various sites regarding how much of it is no wake. Some say that it is mostly just around the bridges and then a few short spots here and there that are no wake. Other than that you can open it up. Other things I have read say that it is a LOT of no wake.

Trying to get a handle on how long it would take me to run from the rte 35 bridge area to the tip of the hook running about 25 knots (where permissible). As always, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Much more no wake zones on the Shrewsbury vs. the Navesink. You'll have no wake near the 35 bridge and marine park in Red Bank then under the Oceanic bridge then hook a left into the shrewsbury and you'll hit no wake nearing the Highlands bridge until the trailer park just past the seastreak dock.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Agree with Basspond's description. Only comment is once you clear the Highlands Bridge outbound, many boats will run on plane hugging the Sandy Hook side of the river. Bob

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Agree with Basspond's description. Only comment is once you clear the Highlands Bridge outbound, many boats will run on plane hugging the Sandy Hook side of the river. Bob
Yeah I didn't want the no wake police after me so I left that detail out :D Once clear of the bridge just follow the commercial clammers out.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Also on the Navesink watch out for people in kayaks, small sailboats and shallow draft sculling boats. Some days they are out in force causing you to have to slow down.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Looking at the tabulation on the chart...Barley Point is 2.9 feet in the center of the channel at mean low water! That is crazy!

2,212 Posts
with the no wake zones in the navesink and shrewsbury, your probably talking close to 45 minutes from point of hook to marine park in red bank depending on the tide. You can take your chance running outside the channel once on the north side of highlands bridge, but they have been cracking down last few years, especially on the weekends.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. That's about what I was thinking too. It looks to be about 14 statute miles or so. So running around 28 mph would be 30 mins, plus no wake time...45 mins or so I guess. Exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK guys...same question for the Shrewsbury River. How much of it is no wake from say the Blackberry Bay area in the Shrewsbury to just south of the Highlands Bridge (which is the general area that the Navesink and Shrewsbury routes would intersect)?

Would the Blackberry Bay area be a significantly longer "commute" to the tip of the hook than deep in the Navesink (by rte 35) due to no wake restrictions?

I am more concerned with time than I am with mileage in comparing the 2 routes. Thanks as always for the help.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW, I mapped it out on a distance finder and the Blackberry Bay trip seems to be only about 1/2 mile shorter than the Rte 35/Navesink trip. So it really boils down to how much "no wake" does each route have and how much additional time does the longer commute take.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Paul, If you're talking about Blackberry Park launch ramp in Oceanport it's about 45 min to the tip of the hook. It's no wake back there until you hit the river. Then you have no wake all the way through Seabright/Rumson. I used to launch from there in the beginning of the season and pull it from there for maintenance.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Paul, If you're talking about Blackberry Park launch ramp in Oceanport it's about 45 min to the tip of the hook. It's no wake back there until you hit the river. Then you have no wake all the way through Seabright/Rumson. I used to launch from there in the beginning of the season and pull it from there for maintenance.

Yup pgoins, that's the area I am looking for. When you say that it's about 45 mins, about how fast are you running when you are not in no wake zones? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
28 knots. I used to hug the marsh is Sea Bright between the bridges and hit 25 kts but its short.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great. Thanks for the info. Seems like the 2 trips are comparable in time...~45 mins. (The 2 trips being from Blackberry Bay in the Shrewsbury to the tip of the hook vs from the Rte 35 bridge in the Navesink to the tip of the hook) Anyone disagree with that?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I disagree. Fighting the current thru the Sea Bright/Rumson no wake zones of the Shrewsbury River will make the Blackberry Bay option significantly more time consuming. Plus with that route you will pass in front of the Marine Police dock.... Bob

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I disagree. Fighting the current thru the Sea Bright/Rumson no wake zones of the Shrewsbury River will make the Blackberry Bay option significantly more time consuming. Plus with that route you will pass in front of the Marine Police dock.... Bob
Thanks Bob. My initial take was that the blackberry bay route would probably be more time consuming based on the comments that the Shrewsbury generally has more no wake than the Navesink and the distance traveled is pretty close. Curious if anyone else has thoughts?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
It definitely will take more time coming from blackberry. You have a narrow, no wake zone with lots of current to potentially buck from the marine police dock to almost the highlands bridge.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I can make the tip of the hook from Morgan inlet in 30 minutes. It seems like a long boat ride, for not much distance. Any of the marina's on the South side of Raritan Bay will get you out to the Hook in a lot less time than going all the way up the river.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts