BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read in the N.J.Fish and Game laws that you must use "non-offset" circle hooks during the season closure on the Delaware River(April 1st- May 31). I see Gamakatsu makes what they call in-line cicle hooks but haven't found any other manufacturer that makes them or advertises as non-offset. Any ideas as to why the "non-offset" restriction? I guess I thought a circle hook was a circle hook. Do you think the fish cops will enforce this particular restriction?

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Good ? Gamis are all I use. As far as enforcing it, I'm sure they will give out a few fines.

I figure if you are gonna spend good money on rods, reels, line why not buy top notch hooks. Gamis are the best in my book.

·
Registered
789 Posts
H.B.

I believe there is some evidence that the non-offset hooks have a reduced chance of catching in the gut or gills of a fish that swallows the bait. Whether or not that is true, I don't know. I have had several Fish & Game folks ask if I was using circle hooks in the past 2 seasons. None of them asked about the non-offset part, but that doesn't mean they won't start enforcing the non-offset this year. If you have two pairs of pliers it is not very difficult to make your "normal" circles non-offset circles.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes, They will enforce the laws I have spoken to a few guys that have been warned and was told that in the future enforcement will be stricter. Owner makes a hook called a ssw inline circle but they are more pricey than the Gami. Offset circles will gut hook if you try and set the hook. With all circles if you wind untill tight and the drag starts to whine most of the time they will set in the jaw area. Thanks Tim

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Pennsylvania license holders do not have to follow New Jerseys rule of using non-offset circle hooks in the Deleware River. I use off-set Gamis and have never had a gut hooked Striper. Dead stick the rod and they hook themselves right in the corner of the mouth.

·
Registered
723 Posts
last year they started that rule i saw the fish and game guys a few times and they werent worried about the hooks just looking for fish. there are now a few manufactures that make a tru non offset circle but each company has a litlle different name for thier product.

·
Registered
723 Posts
last year they started that rule i saw the fish and game guys a few times and they werent worried about the hooks just looking for fish. there are now a few manufactures that make a tru non offset circle but each company has a litlle different name for thier product.

·
Banned
13,499 Posts
I agree with Darrin, they tend to catch in places other than the lip. Never been checked for offset before, just a few times for circles. I take them out of the tackle I take because I think it's illegal to even have j's on your posession.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Was told this year they will bang you!!!Every one has there hand out!!!MUST HAVE non off set circles during the spawn.We know to release those big butifull cows, and they make my spring,but they will take our $ any way they can.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
here is the regs that Icefisher was talking about ....

Hook and line fishermen are hereby restricted to the use of non-offset circle hooks while fishing with any natural bait during the months of April and May downstream
of the Route 1 bridge to the Commodore Barry Bridge.
This restriction shall apply only to hooks of size 2 and larger and shall not apply to hooks of smaller
sizes (such as those normally used for white perch fishing).
Spears (not mechanically propelled) and bow and arrows may be used to take shad, eels, carp, suckers, herring and bullheads by properly licensed anglers except
within 825 ft. of an eel weir.

[ 03-18-2004, 05:48 AM: Message edited by: canyon caster ]

·
Registered
789 Posts
PaWayne,

I'm not sure what would happen if it came down to an enforcement action, but Jill and I launched from the PA side, we both have PA licenses and boat is registered PA. The NJ State Police had us pull our lines up to check that we were using circles. Over the course of the last two years or so I have switched to the circle hooks for most of the bait fishing I do.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I was at a seminar on Deleware River fishing and the local PA fish warden was there and told us he had heard that the NJ enforcement officers were trying to enforce their rules on PA fishermen. He said they were not legally allowed to do this. I will make sure that I am using non-offset circles though, just so I don't have one of the few days fishing ruined by being hassled. I'm confident the use of these hooks will not diminish my hook-ups. I generally am top water plugging anyway.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I was at a seminar on Delaware River fishing and the local PA fish warden was there and told us he had heard that the NJ enforcement officers were trying to enforce their rules on PA fishermen. He said they were not legally allowed to do this. I will make sure that I am using non-offset circles though, just so I don't have one of the few days fishing ruined by being hassled. I'm confident the use of these hooks will not diminish my hook-ups. I generally am top water plugging anyway.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Tim, congrats on the new store. I will be sure to stop in when I get down nextweek to work on my boat....Gene

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.