BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm going to Northern California in March (end of). Does anyone know what kind of fishing I can expect? Any info on species or where to go would be helpful.

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I used to live in san francisco and there was a small fleet of headboats that docked at fishermans warf, and another few boats at the berkley marina. Not sure what they are sailing for in march but i used to catch alot of lingcod and rockfish mostly around the farallon islands. The striper fishing there in the bay is basically a dissapointment, a huge fish is ten pounds. I guess when the salmon are around they are the most fun to catch but i believe it is a very short season. If your in san francisco you NEED to check out HI'S tackle box, Which is a seriously awsome place to check out all the different types of west coast tackle, very friendly staff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Last fall I went out of Berkley marina and caught all kinds for crazy rockfish (orange), ling cod and other stuff. The websites out there aren't very good so I can't get a feel for what might be running. I'll likely just call the tackle shop that was recommended.

Last fall I also had to book ahead of time through a group at the dock. I booked for Halibut and ended up on a Ling Cod trip. I think they just put you where they feel like it. This time I'm not booking anything. I'm showing up at the dock and going right to a boat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.