BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in "the fisherman" a couple of weeks ago about people catching blowfish toward the end of the summer. Has anyone been targeting/catching them in recent years? I haven't seen one since I was 10 years old.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I think in the last 10 yrs I may have caught,,,,5 They are good eatingf and used to be very plentiful ...but not recently..I remember when I was a kid Me and a friend of mine took my 15 starcraft,,,out in the bay behind seaside park and caught 40 or 50 blowfish in about 3 hours...we ran out of worms and started using bubblegum....and they still were biting..Till we ran out of bubblegum..True story...

Liv 2 Fish.
Forced 2 Work..

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Anyone Know If They Are Being Caught Anywhere From Maine To Florida??
Croakers Were Missing For About 30 Some Years. From The Middle 50's Till Early 90's I Never Saw One Out Front,were A Lot Of Cape May Goodies. I Didn't Bottom Fish The Bay Except A Few Times On My Fathers Boat At Night Pre~radar For Drum In Lousy Weather No Fun.
Fred Has Had A Few Babies In His Tank Each Summer. Weather This Is A Long Term Cycle Some Talk About I Don't Know But There Was Talk About The Croakers Being In A Cycle Also---i Think It Is Abuse,polution And Warmer Waters. Blowfish Were Excellent To Eat.

THE NJ STATE RECORD FOR BLOWFISH(NOTHERN PUFFER) IS 1LB-14oz--IN 1987 IN THE DELAWARE BAY.
THE SOUTHERN PUFFER (RABBIT FISH) IS OVER 9LBS ALSO CAUGHT IN THE DELAWARE BAY.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Years ago we also had a spring puffer run. We still catch them in Barnegat Bay during the late summer / early fall but not as many as the good ole days. Anchor a chum with clams. Fish small strips of clam or squid. We get a few to a dozen or so. Along with the puffers we get about another half dozen species of fish in the slick so you rods are usually bending. Lots of fun for the kids.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I have never fished for them, but the past two summers I would get them in crab traps pretty consistently. Little guys, but I dont know their max sizes. The little kids loved them.

RyanF

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
BIGGESTJACK said:
THE NJ STATE RECORD FOR BLOWFISH(NOTHERN PUFFER) IS 1LB-14oz--IN 1987 IN THE DELAWARE BAY.
I kick myself every time I read this.

A few years ago I was surf fishing, and pulled in the biggest blowfish I have ever seen. Fully inflated, he looked like a beach ball. My guess is he had to be over 3lbs

Never even thought to have him weighed in :(

·
Registered
431 Posts
RyanF said:
I have never fished for them, but the past two summers I would get them in crab traps pretty consistently. Little guys, but I dont know their max sizes. The little kids loved them.

RyanF
Same here. I caught a couple in crab traps last summer off the bulkhead at the end of my street in LBI. Last time I caught one on a hook and line was while fishing in my old boat near the Barnegat Inlet.

Funny thing with the crab traps, though, is that when crabbing off the boat in Manasquan River I've never caught one. Perhaps they're only in the lower part of Barnegat Bay and south.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
i remember them swarming around the barnegat lighthouse when i was a kid. they were a lot of fun. it was around the same time when sea urchins covered every rock too. times have changed.

·
Registered
431 Posts
RebelMusicNP said:
i remember them swarming around the barnegat lighthouse when i was a kid. they were a lot of fun. it was around the same time when sea urchins covered every rock too. times have changed.
Wow, sea urchins? When was this (if you don't mind)?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Steve Wdz said:
I got this last year on he beach I think this was a puffer:confused:

Yea it is. The ones Ive seen from my traps have been a little smaller from what I can tell from the photo.

RyanF

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
TurboDan said:
Wow, sea urchins? When was this (if you don't mind)?

I found a hand full of sea urchins on the rocks this year, my girlfriend brought one (dead) home

Also caught a few blowfish off the rocks this year

·
Registered
212 Posts
JerseyZuks said:
I found a hand full of sea urchins on the rocks this year, my girlfriend brought one (dead) home

Also caught a few blowfish off the rocks this year
I saw a whole bunch of urchins this year too at low tide...and the starfish were EVERYWHERE, couldnt get away from them, only saw one blowfish caught this year, big one too

·
Registered
434 Posts
Northern Puffer

This is the best picture I could find of the puffer.

http://www.chesapeakebay.net/bfg_northern_puffer.aspx?menuitem=14403

I know that this web site does not let me give a specific location of where I caught these fish.
But for the last 3 years I caught them on the dock at “THE DOCK OUTFITTERS” I think Seaside Hights.
Last year I also caught them from the “PIER or DOCK” at BARNAGAT where the boat ramp is.
I used winter flounder rigs with small split shot sinkers squeezed near the hooks.
Tinny bits of clam use the lips and the parts of the stomach. The tongs you could throw away, no smell and too hard or use them in a crab trap.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
phish4fun said:
Great Bay Has Them .
Very true. What Great Bay lacks in Winter it makes for in Blowfish.

The blowfish are quite tasty, but I'd rather have the flounder.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts