BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out late last night , last minute thing.
Started out behind Avalon nothing doing. Next stop a bridge behind OC. First cast BANG a big cow takes my pinkey for a wild ride Fight it for 15 min finally get it to the surface and I can't belive it. Its HUGE at least 25lbs, being the last minute thing that it was, forgot the bridge net and gaff. Asked the only other fisherman on the bridge, (who had just gaffed, took a picture of, and released a 18inch bass) to use his. His question to me was are you going to keep it , my answer HELL YES, to which he says NO I PRATICE CATCH AND RELASE.
I tell him this is probley one of my biggest fish ever and he walks away from me. Well i contune to fight the fish and try to hand line it up, the line brakes and MY TROPHY BASS goes back down to the deep. Now I know it's my own fault for not having the right equipment with me but what ever happened to a friendly fisherman.
To make matters worse i go back to my truck to cool off (I might have thown him off the bridge) and tie on another lure, this guys wife comes down to the parking lot jumps in thier gray chevy avalanche and peels wheeles shooting rocks at me, my girlfriend and my jeep. I hope I run across this guy again .

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Gaff and release that makes alot of sense. He would of kept that fish as well. Just a little bridge jealosy. Treat yourself to and by a bridge net and put some weights in it. People like that only hurt themselves for being miserable.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Sadly, everyone carring a fishing rod is not a "SPORTSMAN"...

I help anyone who asks, provided they are fishing legal.
Speaking of which, gaffing shorts could result in failing to return the fish unharmed.... Something that fellow might think about.

Russ

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
...or a fisherMAN

Usually whats so great about fishing is meeting and helping out other fishermn, I hope that same 25lber pulls his rod and reel into the water when he's not looking, I also hope he got a flat tire on the way home.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I get excited when anyone catches a fish. If I see someone who needs help, or asks for help, I help them. I thought everyone did. If you caught it, it's up to you what you do with it.

If it looks close, I may suggest measuring it. I'll do that for you. Most of the time, I have a camera and ask if you want a picture taken.

And, I don't get why a c & r guy would even posess a (barbless) gaff. Does he have a Whiffle billy club, too? :rolleyes:

One question for the bridge guys. What is a bridge net?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I fish those bridges all the time. And if I was there to witness that there would have been a fight. He gaffed a throw back, probably winged it off a 40 ft high bridge, and then tries to practice catch and release. I got my eye out for a grey chevy avalanche.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
In this day and age a Bridge net is a must.There are only maybe one of two bridges in South Jersey that you can walk a decent fish down to the end and pull it on the beach.But for the most part having a bridge net the best solution
especially when dealing with borderline SB.A bridge gaff if used properley can work also by Lip Gaffing it and if need be sent back to fight another day,but it is not 100%. When ever I fish any bridge both my net and gaff are with me.

Pop-Net makes a collaspable one and is light weight -PopNet

That being said, John sorry to hear about this situation,but I have seen some of these types in the middle of the night and they won't give anybody the time of the day but themselves..
They will get theirs someday for sure...

Take Care Buddy, Now Get Back Out There And Bring A Net This Time :D ;)

[ 05-22-2006, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Gaff and release of a short is actualy illegal. The law reads that you cannot keep,kill,or injure a short. Gaffing is injuring. Same with the idiots that rip a 3 cent hook out of the throat of short fluke.
Barrell

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
That stinks he wouldn't help ya.
Get a bridge net and head out again soon.
The next time out you will get a 40lber

·
Registered
394 Posts
that sucks. i just don't get some people. same thing hppened to my buddy a couple years back off the big rock in lbi.

guys like that give fisherman a bad rap. 2 things i can't stand when fishing around other people - 1. when people don't help other people and 2. when you are fighting a nice fish people start casting around you while you are trying to land your fish.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, I do own a gaff and a net just forgot them also forgot my fishing partner TomOcnj, he is allways prepaired like a boyscout.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
To bad you did not get his license # so you could post it on the Barn.That guy has to be a total a......e.A lot of us Catch and Release....A lot of us Catch and Eat...That's strictly your business.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts