BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building my first saltwater fly rod, and after seeing all the different types of lines available -- it seems there are 6,897 different combinations available -- my head is spinning, and I'm not sure which way to go.

My setup will be a 10-weight rod matched with a 10-weight reel. I'll be using it almost exclusively to fish the surf, mostly for stripers. I've never fly-fished fresh or salt water before.

Anyone have any recommendations for a line that:

A) would be a good all-around line for the fishing I'm going to be doing
B) would be a good line to learn on
c) would not cause me to embarass myself

Right now, I'm leaning toward one of the Scientific Anglers lines designed for Stripers, but I thought I'd check with the experts here before I took the plunge. Thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Belmo,
I just learned to fly fish this year so I can give you a beginners perspective. A 10 wieght is not a lot of fun to throw. I have a 5, 8, and two 10's and learned much of what I was taught on the 5 and 8. Hauling and double hauling I learned on the 5 then on the 8. I just saw Lefty Kreh lecture in my home state and would suggest buying a book of his on casting. Most everyone I spoke with or taught the class I attended (another good idea for you) steared me toward intermediate line as the line of choice for stripers. If you had one line to put on your reel intermediate would be the one (I heard that a hundred times). I use Orvis wonderline as it is the slickest on the market. I learned that they get their line from two major manufactures (I think Scientific Anglers and Cortland) then Orvis applies their slick coating which does eventually wear off. I was told this by a guy who worked for Orvis years ago so take it for what it's worth. Be aware that each line has properties specific to the climate you fish in. The striper line will go floppy on you in tropical conditions making casting harder and more mishaps. The Orvis line will allow you to shoot further with a stripping basket than other lines. As far as interchangeable heads go everyone steared me away from those. Just my .02

Take Care,
Joe

P.S. About embarrassing yourself, plan on it and make peace with it. It will happen. I practiced a lot on land first which helped but was not a solution. Safety gear (sunglasses most of all) will save you a lot of embarassment at the ER.
Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Wow Joe, let me be the first to offer you congrats. I agree with all you said. Do you ever get in either of my areas?

Belmo, listen to this guy & good luck. If remotely convienent try to make it to the club for a meeting or three. Good guys with good info.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Belmo, that Sci-Anglers striper line should be fine for you. I'd go with the intermediate line like Joe said.

What blank are you building. Give me the blank number, and I might be able to tell you the true rating for that rod. Sometimes a blank is labeled as a certain weight, but in fact it is another weight altogether.

Getting a book (The Cast by Ed Jaworowski) or a video is a great way to see what you should be doing, especially at this time of year.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

One of the problems I've always had with saltwater fly fishing is cost. I just wasn't gonna shell out $700 for a striper fly outfit. So if I got into it, it was going to have to be on the cheap. I looked at some of the lower-end stuff, but it seemed pretty flimsy, and spending $200 or $300 for junk seemed stupid.

I got around the cost by buying an Alvey fly reel. I got introduced to Alvey through their surf reels, and I really like their products. Their fly reel is very sturdy, and I got it for only $130. The reel is rated for weights 10-14, so I got a a Calstar 10/11 weight blank from Mudhole.

I realize that this might not be the best rig to learn on, but, like I said, I wasn?t going to walk into Orvis and shell out $1,000. When I?m finished, I?ll have a rod and reel for around $250.

I'm almost done building the rod -- how long till the stripers start running again?

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Good information from the guys. SJCFA club would be a good place to get lots of good information and tips on casting. Our library has many books and videos that you can learn a lot from.

There are a lot of good setups that work well in the cheaper price ranges, but since you have your blank and reel, hope you can put it all together and it meets your expectations. Guys on this board are more than willing to make sure you make out okay. Hope we see you at a meeting and keep us posted on your progress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts