BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading down Saturday 3/22. Hoping to fish 3/23 & 3/24.

As of this morning from NOAA the weather is horrible today until Friday. Didn't go past Friday.

Please post updates as you get them.

Thanks Rick

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Thursday 3/20
Morning
Breezy whitecapping conditions with moderate choppy seas. Small long period swell.
Winds: NNW 12 to 16 knots
Seas: ENE 5 feet at 11 seconds

Afternoon
Light and variable winds with smooth seas. Small long period swell.
Winds: NNE 5 to 7 knots Seas: ENE 5 feet at 11 seconds

Friday 3/21
Morning
Light winds with a slight chop. Small long period swell.
Winds: NW 7 to 9 knots
Seas: ENE 4 feet at 11 seconds

Afternoon
Winds: S 3 to 4 knots
Seas: ENE 3 feet at 11 seconds

Saturday 3/22
Morning
Windy conditions with choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Small long period swell.
Winds: S 16 to 21 knots
Seas: ENE 3 feet at 10 seconds

Afternoon
Very windy with large choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Small long period swell.
Winds: S 22 to 30 knots
Seas: ENE 5 feet at 10 seconds

Wind & Wave Forecast for 36.0º N / 75.5º W

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
We fished this past saturday in the roughest conditions i have ever fished in. Totally impossible to pop and jig them. We could only pull the stick. Definitly keep a close eye on the buoys of va beach as they were dead on with the conditions and all the weather forcasting services were 15kts off on the wind conditions.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Thursday 3/20
Morning
Breezy whitecapping conditions with moderate choppy seas. Small long period swell.
Winds: NNW 12 to 16 knots

Afternoon
Winds: NNE 5 to 7 knots Seas: ENE 5 feet at 11 seconds
Friday 3/21
Morning
Winds: NW 7 to 9 knots
Seas: ENE 4 feet at 11 seconds

Afternoon
Winds: S 3 to 4 knots
Seas: ENE 3 feet at 11 seconds
Saturday 3/22
Morning
Windy conditions with choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Small long period swell.
Winds: S 16 to 21 knots

Afternoon
Very windy with large choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Small long period swell.
Winds: S 22 to 30 knots
Seas: ENE 5 feet at 10 seconds
Wind & Wave Forecast for 36.0º N / 75.5º W
From Thursday through Sat afternoon it looks pretty good as far as NC weather is concerned. If you all haven't noticed, it likes to blow a good bit down this way. Slick calm days have been few and far between lately.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I'm hoping to get Fri and Sat trips in, but Sat is not looking good.Early yet, so things can change..............just a PITA trying to book rooms/food at last minute

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm hoping to get Fri and Sat trips in, but Sat is not looking good.Early yet, so things can change..............just a PITA trying to book rooms/food at last minute
LJ, please keep friday forecast as is and I would love to see Saturday forecast improved. never ever able to book 2 nice days in a row in carolina, always windy there.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
5 ft we can handle it , im ok with a little beating. I think were good for both days at this moment

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
we are down fri/Saturday
fri right now looked good.
we are not planning Saturday...capts call as of now
I hope it changes.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Important things to remember re fishing offshore in the Outer Banks

1. The Gulf Stream adds lots of energy to the wind - that's why they call it the "hot water"
2. The Gulf Stream flows south-to-north - A north wind stacks up the seas as it blows against the current
3. It can be calm in the cold green water but nasty in the Stream because of the energy
4. Pray for SW 25 because you can fish the stream.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Important things to remember re fishing offshore in the Outer Banks

1. The Gulf Stream adds lots of energy to the wind - that's why they call it the "hot water"
2. The Gulf Stream flows south-to-north - A north wind stacks up the seas as it blows against the current
3. It can be calm in the cold green water but nasty in the Stream because of the energy
4. Pray for SW 25 because you can fish the stream.
#4. NOAA is calling for Saturday / nite. SW winds. OBX

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Just got off the phone with our Capt. Fri looks good and Sat is iffy as of now but as we all know things can go either way at this point. We just need Phish4Fun to stay out of this thread. He closed the entire eastern seaboard this summer :D. All kidding aside it is still a waiting game. I'm not booking our rental till Wed since it i non refundable.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
If you don't like 5 footers, don't move to NC. I have gotten used to the wind, stuff I would never dreamed of heading out in in Jersey has now become just another day in NC. It really isn't all that bad, you just really learn to appreciate the flat calm days which seem to be few and far between now a days. I also have to say , without the SeaCraft, it would be a tough way to earn a living, she can handle some pretty nasty stuff. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
From Thursday through Sat afternoon it looks pretty good as far as NC weather is concerned. If you all haven't noticed, it likes to blow a good bit down this way. Slick calm days have been few and far between lately.
if we get blown out sat are you booked? any other bottom fishing option you can recommend? Thanks

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Boat im on has moved up to oregon inlet. They had a decent bigeye sunday. Man were hoping for decent weather.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Rick,

Check out fishweather.com, I have been using noaa, fishweather.com, swellinfo.com. If you combine all three, you usually get the decent picture of forecast. In this case... unfortunately, unless the weather changes, we are out of luck. Friday looks excellent and Saturday is tough but maybe fishable. Sunday and Monday is not fishable as of now. But we still have a week. I think it will change. Let's cross fingers!

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
if we get blown out sat are you booked? any other bottom fishing option you can recommend? Thanks
I have a group of Barners that were scheduled for Saturday, but they are able to go on Friday, so we will be switching them to Friday. Saturday looks fishable, and I plan on heading out on Saturday for commercial bottomfish. Give me a call and maybe we can help ya get out on the water. :)

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like the ghost of Virginia Dare bit me a second year in a row. Sunday / Monday winds are going to be blasting out of the North / Northeast.

Early indication is Tuesday / Wednesday things calm down.

Keep the info coming as you hear it.

Rick

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Thursday 3/20
Morning
Winds: WNW 13 to 18 knots
Seas: ENE 6 feet at 11 seconds

Afternoon
Winds: WNW 9 to 13 knots

Friday 3/21
Morning
Winds: NW 8 to 11 knots
Seas: ENE 4 feet at 10 seconds

Afternoon
Winds: SW 4 to 6 knots

Saturday 3/22
Morning
Winds: SSW 15 to 21 knots

Afternoon
Winds: SSW 17 to 23 knots
Seas: ENE 4 feet at 10 seconds

Sunday 3/23
Morning
Very windy with large choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Small short period wind waves.
Winds: N 21 to 29 knots
Seas: NNE 5 feet at 5 seconds

Afternoon
Windy conditions with choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Small short period wind waves.
Winds: N 16 to 22 knots
Seas: NNE 5 feet at 6 seconds

Monday 3/24
Morning
Windy conditions with choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Small short period wind waves.
Winds: N 18 to 24 knots
Seas: NNE 5 feet at 6 seconds

Afternoon
Breezy whitecapping conditions with moderate choppy seas. Small short period wind waves.
Winds: N 13 to 17 knots
Seas: NNE 4 feet at 6 seconds

Wind & Wave Forecast for 36.0º N / 75.5º W.
Looks like we will make Friday,Sat is iffy but with a SW you can fish gulfstream down there. We are comitted now as house is booked. Worse case scenario is extra eating and drinking on Sat...............I can live with that after this god forsaken winter!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I have a group of Barners that were scheduled for Saturday, but they are able to go on Friday, so we will be switching them to Friday. Saturday looks fishable, and I plan on heading out on Saturday for commercial bottomfish. Give me a call and maybe we can help ya get out on the water. :)
sounds good would only be if we get cancelled sat but great to know thanks tj

1 - 20 of 24 Posts