BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going down to the four wheel drive section of OBX next month, just asking what fish are running and what bait, tackle and, rig set up to use. I have plenty of artificials (which I don't use as I prefer to fish with bait and never gave artificials a solid effort) I think the nearest jetty inlet is quite a hike to fish structure so I'll stick to the beach and stay close to the rental house. Just wondering if someone could give me some pointers as what to target. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Wish I could help ya, but my expertise down there is Hatteras Island to Cape Lookout. But I can tell ya to try sand fleas, shrimp, cut mullet, and fishbites. Should be some puppy drum, sea mullet, blues, and pompano around in the surf. If you can get some bunker, there could still be some straggler cobia around. Since they do spend their summers up around Virginia Beach. And from what I understand, most of the water out back, up that way, is brackish. Also have some glass minnows for spanish mackeral for early and late in the day. I'll be down in Avon in August and very rarely fish out front in August. Most of my attention is spent in a yak in Pamlico Sound banging specs and pups. Best of luck and let us know how ya make out.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bstriping, I will report on how I do. If anyone else can give me some info of advice, I appreciate it in advance.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
I’m not sure where the “4 wheel drive section of OBX” is located? But I guess it’s north of Hatteras Island since Bstriping seems to be familiar with it. Maybe it’s Carova Beach? Anyway, I’ll repeat his advice and just add my experience.
First off, I’ll admit that I don’t fish much in June there. I did stay in Carova Beach in October once but the fishing absolutely sucked.
Having said that, I always have great luck using a simple Sea Striker pompano rig with fresh shrimp or fresh cut finger mullet. I’d also get a drum rig and tossed out a nice chunk of finger or Cobb mullet.
You can check with the local shop near there, T & W, and I’m sure they will hook you up.
If you give me a better idea where you are staying it may help or not lol. June is a picky month to fish there.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Frisco Rod & Gunhas a good daily fishing report. Today was big citation Pompano, sea mullet (southern kingfish) and croakers. Specs in the sound.

maybe check T &W reports that shop is north I guess closer to you.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Retainer thanks for the info. I'm staying in Currituck, its north of Corolla, where the horses are on the beach.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Retainer thanks for the info. I'm staying in Currituck, its north of Corolla, where the horses are on the beach.
Yeah I’ve stayed up in Carova Beach, we had an awesome house and the horses were all over, and would hang out close to the house. Probably the coolest part of the trip.
There is a T & W shop in Corolla. Make sure you check in for the latest on the bite. I bet you could do well on the specs in the currituck sound. But I don’t know for sure. Like I said, we were there just once in October and there was literally nothing biting in the surf that trip.
Don’t know if you have been down there before. I’ve only gone the way by Corolla where the road ends thenyou drive the beach all the way up to the houses. Most of those trips from the house to town and back were at low tide. There is a currituck ferry and knots island. It’s very local there. I’m amazed that people actually live in the middle of nowhere like that. Carova is an interesting place, for about 5 days max. Not a lot to do when the bite sucks. The surfing was next to impossible as we couldn’t find a sandbar like farther south on HI. Anyway, I don’t want to let you think you won’t have fun, you will.Hope the house is nice. But check with the local shop there, and take plenty of bait, food and grog to avoid the back and forth trip.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
And FWIW, if you can breakaway, you could jump on a local back bay charter, or drive down to Oregon Inlet which is about an hour drive, depending on traffic. You could fish around the inlet or jump on a tuna charter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Honestly, the fishing is pretty bad from Corrolla up to Carova during the summer. However you can catch puppy drum and croaker pretty steady using bloodworms but they are pretty expensive to use to catch these fish. Occasional fluke and cocktail blues mixed in. Look for pockets of water during low tide that these fish get caught up in. Don't get me wrong, you can catch fish but nothing big. Use light tackle for more action.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honestly, the fishing is pretty bad from Corrolla up to Carova during the summer. However you can catch puppy drum and croaker pretty steady using bloodworms but they are pretty expensive to use to catch these fish. Occasional fluke and cocktail blues mixed in. Look for pockets of water during low tide that these fish get caught up in. Don't get me wrong, you can catch fish but nothing big. Use light tackle for more action.
Thanks, I was pretty much expecting to catch sea mullet (southern kingfish) and skates LOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts