BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The family and I are planning a vacation down to the Outer Banks this fall around the first or second week in October. Has anyone ever fished the beach that time of year and if so whats running in the suds? I can tell that my wife really wants to go as she told me how good the fishing is there (according to what she read on the web):luv:. Any help is always appreciated!

·
Banned
2,974 Posts
It always varies but you could expect red drum,jacks,fat alberts, sea mullet,small bluefish, maybe specks here and there, flounder,puffers,spanish mackeral and maybe more.
You say Outer Banks in general but it's a 200 mile long area under that heading ,so location can make all the differance on what you're catching ...or not.
We usually go the 3 rd week of October as it's just plain nice for the most part. We rent a beach front house in Frisco because we like it. Sunrises over the ocean eating breakfast on the balcony with the surf a stones throw away...can't beat it with a big stick.

·
Banned
1,284 Posts
There are a whole new bunch of new regulations for fishing on the beach if you drive on the beach:mad::(:confused: Now if you get through all that bull and still decide to go... bring a very stoudt rod and reel and be prepared to fight the best fighting fish excluding sharks or rays, that you can catch from the beach. I am talking about the red drum. The big bull reds will expose any weakness in your equipment and fight you for every inch. The best place to try for these will be at the point in Buxton. Fishing anywhere else you have a shot at blues, flounder, rays, pompano, spot or mullet. Do some more research on the rule changes for beach driving and good luck.

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
Redfish, aka puppy drum...AHHH. get out on a fishing pier 1/2 hour before sunrise. Medium spinning gear like for an LMB. Cast a tandem tout rig into the close surf. look at what other fishermen are doing and what color tout tails. I have good results with a green/orange paddle tail on a 1/4 oz. jig head. The short bridge to Roanoke Island is built for fishing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
wat all others have said....do it. Just bring your big boy rods. If you can make it down to Hatteras, please make sure you stop in to Red Drum Tackle and Frisco Rod and Gun. Those guys have been hammered by closures and have done a ton to support and fight the good fight.

·
Registered
67 Posts
obx

im gonna be going down to i think corolla down in obx easter monday for a week. we will be renting a house on the beach and ill be out in the suds as much as possible (going with the in-laws) looking to get myself, my 2 sons and my brother in-law into some fish, i have some plugs,metals and chunkin setups, any one have any advice for while im down there, whats worked for you:please:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.