BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been saying it for awhile now the future of backbay fishing is to have something to
take you into the skinny water,to take you places
where no one else fishes,to take you where you cannot reach with your best cast and to take you
there without being heard..My buddys Greg and Ron
partnered up with me to get us to these places,we are outfitting a Ocean Ambush Kayak this year to take
on the Stripers,Weakfish & Fluke...Bruce (BGSDAD)turned me on to this type of fishing a few years ago and its been in me ever since..So this season
I am looking forward to teaming up with him and hopefully with some other Yakers here from the Barn.I can't wait to start some new adventures with this baby...Check it out...

Anybody else have some pictures of your Kayak ?

How about,what are the best accessories to add to these crafts to make them fishermen friendly ?
Any idea's or thoughts would be apreciated..

Thanks in advance,,,

[ 04-02-2005, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
334 Posts
Nice yak. You'll need some rod holders, rod leashes, and maybe a fishfinder. The FF is a nice addition. Always helps to know what's under ya.
Check out Kayakfishingstuff.com and you'll find more info that you'd believe. If you search you can find pixs of my yak and see how it's set up.
Welcome to the yakfishers club!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
StriKes you already know what mine looks like. I'm gonna add a fish finder real soon and relocate the rod holders. I'm also going to have bow & stern anchors. I'm also going to add a hatch cover on the removeable front seat.

Did you get your registration letters yet? Good luck mounting them on the Ambush. I had to get a piece of Lexan and rivet it with stainless rivets as the letters would not stick.

BTW, I think the olive color Ambush looks better than my gray Ambush.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Rod Holders - like the Berkley Quick Set Rod Holders. Set the hook and remove the rod from the holder all in one action. Can be used to troll while paddle. Just be sure to mount them outside your paddle stroke but easy to get to. Use SS bolts and Nylocks nuts, toss the screws. Cut a alum mounting plat for the underside(inside) that bigger than the "top plate" to take the stress of trolling.

Milk crate, with PVC rod holder mounted at 45 degrees

Frabill Aqua Life Bait Station , easiest 5 gallon bucket livewell out there.

"Softee" paddle clips instead of the hard plastic paddle clips.

Jet logic PVC Danforth style anchor ofr SJ soft sand bottoms, aval at major boat chain stores. Don't use the grapple. Rig the anchor on a trolley line to move to bow from your seat. Rig a float so you can release to chase the fish down or go on a "SJ sleigh ride." Dift sock? To many lines in the water for me.

Hardhat when you get in the "far" back especially when the laughing gulls are nesting.

Princeton Tec waterproof area light.

Waterproof VHF Handheld to communicate with other Barners in kayaks at night (hey yakkers, whats "our" Barn channel??).

SOS Susenders for that oh-oh water event.

Neoprene "Muck Boots" for the sod bank on the other side expedition.

Orange paddle blades for the waving off jet skiers comming around the bend while behind a sod bank.

Hummingbird Pirahana Portable FF with the transducer puck glued to the bottom with 3M 5200 silicone. Use the fixed mount (inluded) to mount to boat, but removes easily. Shoot thru the hull (only works if hull is not foam filled, sorry Old Town owners). Don't cut transducer cable, but coil up underside,out of the way in open circles.

When's the Barn Yak Fest Fishing Trip?

[ 04-02-2005, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Eric G ]

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Hey CaptKirk ,, nice fish ,, i think you're over
working that boga grip ,, i'm still in vermont ,, skiing is still pretty good ,, don't know what it will be like after todays rain but i'll find out monday ,, be home soon ,, can't wait to get out

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
At first sight ,the front looks like a boat. But when I saw the back I thought ya can catch waves with this thing. I like the skeg on the keel, you'll be able to grab and turn and get in "The Green Room".
As far as loading it up with stuff.....how much ya gonna need? Rod,bag of stuff,pliers. Depth finder?..Nah, you're gonna be in shallow water. Lights would be good Or just a helmut light. Small waterproof bag for handheld VHF. Maybe a leash too in case you get seperated from it. Looks like it has an inspection sticker on it. Ya have to register it?
First kayak I saw that looks like it could do the job, deep keel for stability .
I want one....where'd ya get it?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Candyman, I have the same Yak & Steve has been out with me on many times. Very stable! You can sit on the edge without rolling it. I have even stood up in mine but don't make a practice of it.

Take a look at the stern! Notice the transom. Intergrated trolling motor mount. I only use the paddle for emergency. Steve has a motor on his too. That's why it's registered

I don't carry a VHF but I do carry my cell on a leash in a dry bag.

It does do the job and 2 big guys can fish off it.

The only draw back is weight. Especially with the motor & battery. It's also about 14' long. A trailer is a must if you don't want to carry everything seperate.

I don't know if Ocean Kayak still makes them or not. Try their site. Here's a link to a good source for used kayaks & equipment.
Kayak Classifieds

[ 04-03-2005, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Bgsdad ]

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Congrats Steve! Sometimes I find it more of a transportation than fishing vehicle - I will use it to hop from sodbank to sodbank or shallow sandbar. REALLY helps if you have any sort of back problem.

I have an old Ocean Kayak Scambler XT - it was once a lifeguard rescue vehicle ans still has the painted rescue stuff on it.

It was turned into a true fishing yak by my friend Matt and I bought it off him when he upgraded.

My favortie place Ive kayaked fished has been Cape Cod. I also like backside IBSP.

[ 04-03-2005, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Brian E. Mullaney ]

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I gotta get some pics..but, I just got a Malibu X-FACTOR...after fishing from an old heritage yak down in the keys, this X-FACTOR is AWESOME!! Mango orange, seeya out there steve.

Steve make sure you wear some bright gear, get a safety flag, reflective tape etc...those boats will have a hard time seeing you in that color yak! Dont wanna be a statistic man! Safety first all the way in the yak!!! Always dress with the thought that you will go in the drink and will be able to be warm enough dry enough to get out and be safe!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
sweet guys good luck with her

that sucker has gotten into some skinny waters and glad somebody else is gonna use her more than i could ;) and its a good addition to the arsenal (trailer) was starting to hurt lifting it into the back of the truck ..

as being stickered... pa, was very informative as to having it registered because of the motor

catchumup!!

[ 04-03-2005, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Sea Devil ]

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yo Steve,
So you have decided to join the yak crew. Make sure you don't run us motorless people over while cruising through the back bays. Now that Bruce has introduced you to the other side we'll have to get together and get out there. I'm not giving up my spots though, just kidding, I'll help you out when I'm out. By the way Bucktailman(Hank) has also purchased a yak as well. I will be taking him out as far as he can paddle and make him go against the tide on the way back. Can't wait to get out. It won't be long with some nice weather coming to us this week. Am very busy with two jobs but I will be getting my time in. Will see you on and off the banks now. You may also want to put a reflective strip along the side of your yak for the summer idiots blasting down the ICW during the season of fools. It wil help you out during some situations. Be careful out there and we look forward to seeing you testing the back waters. Keith the bagman

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks For All The Tips Guys,, Great Stuff. We Can't Wait To Break Her In...

--------------------------

FisherTim,
Thanks for that info and website,I will check it out.

Crojo,
We bought it used off a member here in the Barn Sale forum,I believe Cabelas has them new though.

Bruce,
Thanks Bud,No letters yet,me and Ronny spent some time with it on Saturday adjusting the trailer to fit it snug..We need to take a look at yours again to accessorized it ;) ...

EricG,
Your the Man,, Nice Suggestions,,, Thanks,,
And that sounds like a great idea,Yak Fest 2005,Let Me Think of Something ;)

Fylfish & Capt.Kirk,
Nice Pictures, Thanks,,

CandyMan,
Thanks for the info buddy.
Cabelas has them new,very stable craft they are rated for I believe up to 800 lbs..

Brian,
Yep thats right the real advantage to this thing for us is to get us to the other side,
virgin ground etc.. Transportation (ShortBus :D )

Josh,
Thanks Buddy...

SeaDevil,,
Thanks for hooking us up with this kayak and yes getting a trailer was a must.Picked up a new Loadrite/Outlaw...
We want to be very mobile with it to explore alot of different area's.

Keith,,
Thanks Buddy, Will be seeing you alot more out there this year... Take care,,

[ 04-04-2005, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
931 Posts
Nightstrikes, It looks like you've gotten yourself a NICE ride! Fishing from a kayak is a new world, even if you use a motor to get places. I wish you all the luck in the world with your new kayak. I will post some photos of my kayak as soon as I get some.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Well I now have in my possesion a fishfinder for the Yak. Picked up a Hummingbird Widevision with speed, temp & quick mout compliments of the Barn Sale & MistyLady2. As soon as I get time to mount it I will post photos.

Thanks Ross! Nice meeting you. Good Luck in the Deleware Bay this year!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I just got a yak last week. I got a great deal. I stopped in at T.I. Kayaks on a whim while down the shore to get a house rental for our vacation. I got a new Caper, new paddle, and used seat for $475.

I like the idea of Yak-fest. We could all meet somewhere with our yaks and get advice from the experienced ones.

al.

·
Registered
931 Posts
akozols, I bought my Tarpon 140 from T.I. Kayaks last fall and they were great! They even lent me a paddle and PFD until I could decide what kind I would want.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts