BASS BARN banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ist time out (of OC), new to me (25' used)boat, slip in OC,NJ, looking to enjoy days of fishing inside & outside, please share with me where, when, bait, and whatever needs to have fun with my family. Thanx for your response.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Welcome to the barn! If fish OC area a lot. There
are several different species to target, so it
depends on what you're into. Fish the bay for
flounder...try a 3/8oz white bucktail tipped with
minnow. Look for the fleet of boats, last of the
incoming. You'll find your own holes after a
while. I like to work the edges of the channels
where it drops from around 6-8ft to 15-20ft.

If you want to target bass, you need to go out at
night...email me if want more details. Just be
careful when the tide is lower. There are a lot
of flats where you can run a ground. Good Luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Welcome to the Barn and to fishing out of OC. I have fished out of OC for many years. Here are a couple ideas that should get you started.

1 - Stay within the marked channels between the 34th street bride and the 9th street bridge. The channel can go from 8 feet to less than two feet in less than a minute (especially in the curved channel between 18th street and 12th street). That channel is a very good spot for floundering fishing at high tide but watch your depth.

2 - Depending on your boating experience, I would start out slow and learn to navigate GE inlet. Some days it is like glass and your can fly out without a bump, other days make you wonder if there is really a channel out there.

3 - If you are comfortable with running out to the ocean to fish, I prefer the OC Reef (5 miles off the bell) for quick trips, the GE reef (9 miles off the bell) for days when I want to get a little further offshore and the AC reef when I am looking for lots of different structure and quick access to deeper water for trolling (17 miles off the bell).

4 - Feel free to call us up on channel 68 when you are out. We fish mostly during the week. Our boat is NetProfit - a 25ft Parker.

As for bait, I prefer a squid and minnow combo on a single hook tied to a three way swivel with anywhere between two to six ounces of lead depending on where I am fishing.

fishalot

1 - 3 of 3 Posts