BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who lives in OC.He just bought a 17'ft.Whaler.Could use some tips or advice for fishing the area.Back bay or Ocean.
Thank You.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey Johnny! I fish out of Strathmere. Not much happening in the bay right now. Should start to see weaks and stripers once the waters cool. Just about any of the deep holes and mouths of feeder creeks along the intercoastal can produce. I like to use rubber(fin s fish) and plastic ( yozuris & rattletraps) but any of the eradily available baits will work too. Right now theres pretty good action out front. Lots of weakies and croakers in 25 to 40 ' of water. The OC Reef is a great standard as well. Usually something there all year. Tell your buddy to get a chart and start having fun. I have a 17 whaler as well and on average days fish as far out as the table top. Si Lump and OC Reef are well within his reach. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I used to trailer out of that area. This time of year try to get out front as much as possible. You can run the GE inlet around the rockpile at the Longport side a lot easier than running the marked channel. Just make the turn and you're in front of the beach. Get in 40 to 50' of water for croakers or spike weakfish or drift around the bell bouy for fluke, or look for birdplay anywhere along the beach to cast tin at some small blues. You can even troll the shoreline about 3 miles off or so and catch false albecore.

Next May fish the flats in GE Bay east of the Parkway bridge for good fluking. That area is also invaded by 2 to 3 pound blues for about 2 or 3 weeks at the end of May. Mid summer move over to the deeper holes in Rainbow Channel and off Anchorage Pointe. There is good back bay fishing in that area with lots of room to work.

Have fun

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
go out the inlet and turn the ff on. you will find them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!this is the easyiest time of year to fish

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm printing all of these tips and will be sure to give them to him.
We took my boat out yesterday and fished the Bug light area of the Deleware bay.We picked up some spike weakies,crokers,blues and 2 flounder.Noting to wright home about.
The weatherman screwed up again.It was suppose to be 5-10mph winds,we had a steady 15.

Thanks once again for all the tips.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Great job good luck, Watch fishing the Delaware Bay and the rips. My buddies 17 whaler's nickname is the "Shovel". Check the weather all the time make sure you have a VHF radio and know how to use it. Towboat insurance,comfortable life jackets, and a float plan.
OC is great and the back part of the Intercoastal Waterway is great bass fishing the banks and back creeks. Big fish live back there and it is a great place to fish with little concerns other than running aground and running out of gas this time of year.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
If you don't want to venture into Ocean,there are fish to be found inside.
Have caught 3 30" bass this week along with a few shorts
Also lost 2 nice weakfish right at the boat this morning.
ICW behind OC
Live bait is the trick right now,eels.mullet,peanut bunker or live spot
Early morning,evening or at night
good luck

·
Registered
741 Posts
34th street bridge south....don't pass up fishing right under the bridge....bass, perch, weakfish, croakers...about 100 yards south of the bridge,,,deep hole....top and bottom rigs with shedder....25 foot hole.

Good Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.