BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out ther still have or use Ocean City Reels? I have at least a dozen different models, mostly 112's and Brigantines that are still very serviceable and catching fish. Just curious, I am getting ready to put new line on mine for what has to be well over their 20th or 30th season for some of them. I know they are pretty much worhtless from a collectors view point but if they work why not use them?:)

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Yep,have about 10 old reels I got from my old man that he collected over the years.I was gonna get rid of them, but cleaned respooled and put on some sturdy sticks I pu some where.I bring them for my buddies kids when we take them out.I have lost one when his kid got a hit and threw it over board?????I was laughing SO Hard I had tears comming outta my eye`s.The kid started crying cause he thought I was mad.I told him it was OK,but every one got a teather line on there rod after that.They worked then and still work today.I love the vintage look.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I have a few. I have a ocean city fly reel also which is pretty nice. They all are in like new condition. I wish my penns held up so good.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Hey Flukin, just remember when Otto Henzie and Al Brekmeyer worked for Ocean City reels during the day, but, at nite they were using the dies and molds they made at Ocean City during the day to start a new Reel co. called Penn Reels! Many of the same designs/parts were incorporated into their startup venture back then... So if you take a penn or Ocean apart you'll see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Windmeup,
You are correct very similar designs. I think the OC reels are even easier to work on then Penn.
:):)

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Then after Penn got started Al left Penn and started Atlantic City reels! till Otto got mad and bought him out! and Al worked for otto and then Herbert ever since!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
They do look identical. I really like the fly reel. It has a nice drag but will not use it. I have it on the wall with my grandfathers split bamboo fly rod. mint condition.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I've got an original Ocean City Spinning Reel, I use once a year to catch one fish than return it to my "Hall of Fame Wall"
I use it every year just to remember where I came from in Fishing and how hard I had to work to get enough money to buy the reel when it first came out

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will be using mine this season, several model 112s, a brigantine and a 981, that I remember off the top of my head. I have a couple of other single screw take apart models that I don't usually use on the boat but I may break them out theis year if I hit the beach. I'll post pics of any fish caught with a +30 yr old reel.

:):):)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts