BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, kinda new to fishing the Ocean City Area, could use some advice on where to go..I own a 23ft Wellcraft Coatal Walkaround and have been out about 5 times this year, haven't been doin too well. Been out to the GE and the OC Reef with only a couple throwbacks! Are these the best spots? I hope not, I used to fish down in the Cape May area and did fairly well, but I can't seem to get into any fish up here, any help would be appeciated! My boats name in UP and OVER, give me a shout on 68 and let me get in on the action, thanks, cool site.....

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I just moved to NC and used to fish OC 3-4 times a week. I know the areas well but haven't fished for a couple weeks. I couldn't help you find the fish but when I left, "Hooters" and "My Johnson" were producing big bass. With the wind predicted for this weekend for down there I think "The Pearl Necklas" might be good if bait gets pined against the rocks.

;)

email for more detail

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
ALOT OF SMALL FISH THIS YEAR BUT THERE ARE SOME BIG ONES AROUND IF YOU PUT THE TIME IN.E-MAIL ME AND I CAN GIVE YOU SOME DECENT BACKWATER SPOTS.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Honestly UP and OVER your best bet is to go back to Cape May. Nothing personal. The fishing in / around OC / Somers point for inshore and the bay is overall horrible and has been. Its real spotty. You have so many better options out of Cape May. Why did you leave one of the fishing capitals of the east coast where you have so many options.

All the wrecks and reef sites out front of OC are overfished and pounded constantly, with only small fish being caught. I'm talking 6 inch sea bass which are worthless. Theres no weakfish being caught on a regular basis of with any size. Sure there are some suicide fish here and there. The flounders are tiny and see through in the bays and out front. Its just not a good area right now. Once the power plant shuts down in a few years maybe some things will change eventually but that coolant intake in the back bay is killing fish by the thousands everyday.

You might get an occasional few days of a good croaker bite off the Lucy but everything is so spotty.

Talk to any of the old timers that have fished the areas for years and they'll tell you how bad it has dropped off. You may be better off honing your crabbing skills LOL

In the last three years Ive had one good flounder day at the coral beds out front, and a few good days of stripers, but behind the clammers in the dead of winter. My dad and cousins/friends all fish the area and none of them have had any good days fishing inshore. I lucked out and moved to chasing tuna and marlin all summer long out of OC.

Just my opinion but good luck and welcome to the barn.

PS - you cant beat the wings at charlies in somerpoints and the ribs at bubba macs are fantastic.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by UP and OVER:
Thanks Gilly, but im talkin about Ocean City, NJ...not Maryland, my fault for not being specific, thanks anyway!!
Up and Over,
Gilly,just recently moved down to NC from just offshore of Ocean City N.J...
And just had a outstanding spring with Bass in OC
before he left.The Fish Gods were smiling down on him thats for sure..

·
Banned
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments Jbones! I have no choice but to fish the OC area with my boat....I have a free slip to keep the boat and the boat is 20 yards from my back deck, gonna have to stick it out in OC for obvious reasons!!! I agree the fishing is way better down there, so many options, but hey im not complaining, i love to fish and i;ll keep doing it, might have to get into the offshore thing a bit next year with the bluefin action!!

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Free...house in OC, Free boat slip LOL...no you have the obvious choice. I guess you can just move down to Cape May for the fall run in the rips. Need a roomate LOL.

But seriously, perfect example today. My dad is down there fishing and has been out since 6AM. Hes got a 25 footer, nothing special but can go out to 30-40 miles if he wants safely. Morning started off being stuck fishing the bay and inlet bc the fog was like pea soup. He had a ton of short flounder and some snapper blues. Once the fog broke he fished the whole incoming drifting the inlet and over on the longport side...all shorts (1 16 inch flounder, the biggest of the day) no keepers. I just got off the phone with him. Hes been on the GE reef for about an hour. 8 sea bass all under 10 inches and skinny. Hes making his way out to the Lobster pots or 28 mile wreck. An expensive day to catch all shorts. Hes got a friend out there in another boat whose got a few skates and all short fish. Sorry, just inshore sucks in my opinion and it didnt use to be like this. This is his 4th trip hes got out during the week, when theres no boat traffic and having the same results of only catching shorts. He's a big fan of fishing for weakfish and its all he used to do. Hes had one legitimate keeper in the last 3 years. He catches them still but they are all shorts and anything just barely legal he releases.

Good Luck around OC, maybe you can get some of these guys honey holes on the side they are talking about. If you want to get into the offshore thing its definitely worth taking a look at joining the Ocean City Marlin Tuna Club. $50 a year for a family membership, thats dirt cheap for a guy with a free boat slip LOL.

[ 07-26-2005, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: jbones11 ]

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
UP and OVER

I am talking about OC NJ.. If you look back in the archives you may find some of my posts from May and June.......Heres a pick of one of many this pring in OC area, at one of the various spots mentioned above

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Just a 445 update and live report from the water. After spending all afternoon with two other boats working various parts of both the GE Reef and OC Reef the most exciting thing they saw all day was a hude school of baitfish about 15 foot down go around the boat a few times. No keepers all day. All small fish. Hes staying out there until the sun goes down and now headed back to fish the outgoing in the inlet looking for something to eat. None of the boats out there had anything all day. Its just one day but you happen to ask when I could give you some live reports.

Stripers in the fall are much better. Nice Fish Gilly, Enjoy NC. You gotta get a picture like that with a GBFT for us !!!

·
Banned
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I for one like to fish the ocean in the summer, usually a bit cooler out there, not this year though......I always felt like the bigger fish were in the bays early on, but move off during the summer months, maybe im wrong, but this is what ive always read! Maybe I need to change my tactics and what im using....nice pics Gilly and Reelknot....Jbones, the slip is free, thats it, father owns it, lucky me!!

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
UP AND OVER YOU ARE GENERALLY RIGHT ABOUT THE FISH MOVING OUTFRONT IN THE WARMER MONTHS BUT SOMETIMES IT PAYS TO TRY DFFERENT TACTICS.ALL OF MY BIGGER FISH HAVE BEEN CAUGHT IN LESS THAN 10 FEET OF WATER EARLY IN THE SUMMER AND 15-25 FEET IN THE HEAT OF JULY.I ALSO DO NOT FISH WITH CROWDS.IF THERE ARE 60 BOATS IN THE INLET I AM AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE AND USUALLY THAT PAYS OFF.I MOVE AROUND ALOT-SO MUCH THAT I BURN AS MUCH GAS AS SOMEONE HEADING OUT TO THE WRECKS.I ALSO TRY DIFFERENT BAITS AND DIFFERENT RIGS THAT I TIE MYSELF.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Yesterday the final count was 42 short flounder. 0 keepers. Im not blasting the area and Im sure there are some back bay spots that produce. This was his fourth trip midweek that its been like this. He fishes the back bays also but primarily for Weakfish away from the traffic during both the days and nights, still with very few keepers.
Crabbing anyone?

·
Banned
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have a question? Why is the fishing so much better in Cape May and even LBI?....seems like we are right in the middle yet don't seem to produce like these spots, any thoughts?.....I used to fish down in cape may and would always, well not always, come home with a keeper or two even on bad days! Just seems like the quality of fish are not here in numbers, ahh maybe its a bad year, it is my first up here and I don't want to give up on it just yet......

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.