BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a sand rat 99% of the time but have two fluke charters coming up in the next month. Trip one is with work heading out to the old grounds. Trip two is with buds and heading out of barnegat light. Both are gonna target fluke in the ocean but the methods of fishing could be very different.

With the old grounds Im assuming lots of structure and bottom snags. With the BL trip depending on wether we fish a lump, the mansion, or a reef it could range from structure to sand bottom.

What style of rig would you guys recommend for these types of trips? Any must have baits? Especially considering I could end up needing 8, or more, ounces of weight to hold bottom.

Capt. Harv? Mullaney? Any suggestions...............

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
For the old grounds, I'd go with a single hook rig due to the depth and structure. Too many cadgets on one line will only produce tangles. As far as rigs, go to any tackle store and choose any flunder rig with a teaser; they all seem to work fine for me. I've been to the old grounds twice this year and needed anywhere's from 10-14oz to hold bottom. I suggest using killies with a squid strips.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Chrome Balls!!!

I just started using the Chrome Balls for fluke and sea bass out front. I love them. For big Fluke you can use the ones with a buck tail and hook attached and put a whole squid on there. You can have the stand alone ball with a leader or use the buck tail one with a dropper with a Gulp on it or a squid/minnow combo. I keep diffent sized leaders and hooks on snaps so I can easily change a rig depending on if we're on sea bass or fluke and what size. Basically it's very versital and adds a little extra flash down there. Doesn't snag easy either. Give it try.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Fresh strips of fish(Bluefish, searobin, etc.) The longer the better. Use these strips on a bucktail, crhome ball, or a basic squid skirt rig.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
love the idea of using a bucktail and saw mullaney w/ a giant spro in one of Capt. Harv's posts. If you need 8-14oz of lead however, what size bucktail is required, generally in normal conditions? I can take a smaller rod loaded up w/ 20lb power pro to aid in getting it down. In addition to a beefy pole to drop the 8-14oz :eek: .

for the b2 squid, or any single hook rig for that matter, should it be tied straight to a 3-way? Or should the hook come off a drop loop w/ the weight below? Im not fond of the 3-way because it gets in between you and the fish, and should it snag, you lose everything. Even if I dont catch anything I'd like to think Im presenting a decent looking bait and at least have a shot. :D

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
circle I was using 6 & 8 oz bucktails - I think once the water warms to normal temps the bucktails will be deadly. I'll be tossing them next week on vacation hopefully I'll be eating well!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Every thing above sounds like good advice,But don't like the hooks on the store bought stuff.
I use a 3 way swivel with a8-12 inch 20# with a lop for the sinker and about a 24-30 inch piece of 30# pound leader to a 5/0 Gam. oct. hook with alittle bit of junk(spinners,beads,differant size squids,usually have a mix of some green or white patterns)with long strip of something fresh(real fresh is good;))and fresh Bluefish is a favorite.I often use 2 strips.Just watch it in the water to make sure its not spinning and looks good enough to eat.Those frozen squids in a box are nice to have(fish them whole),and those green or pink pro cuts.Just try differant things till you find out what works or what your confident in so you will keep paying attention.
I switch to the bucktails when the drift slows down(all day somedays,never other days)3 ounce is a big as i will go because the hooks just keep getting bigger.That is what makes those chrome balls nice(but the big ones get $ when fishing structure)You can put egg sinkers on the line with your bucktails to add weight with your bt.Got to fish braid if you really want to catch.Hope you don't get hooked on this kind of fishin as bad as I am.Who ever called them Mud Marlins sure had it right .having them take your bait and deciding what kind of drop back your give or not give in 60-110 ft of water is one of my favorites.Good luck

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Circle hook........The standard rigs we use is a 3 way swivel using 40 pound mono, 4 feet long, tied to a 4/0 english kahle hook. We will adorn the rig with b-2 squids in various glow colors or pink. I tie a 6 inch dropper loop made from 30 pound mono to hold the weight. The reel is filled with 50 pound braided line. Try to fish as vertical as you can and you will have less snags. Depending on current and wind speed you will need up to 16 ounces to hold bottom. Most days 6-10 oz is sufficient weight. I would make up at least a dozen rigs ahead of time. We occasionally can fish with chrome ball rigs with teasers tied on. Big bucktails work well for guys like my friend Brian who know how to fish them. Hope you catch a flukasaurus my friend.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Capt. Harv,why the kahle hooks?I use them with minnows in back bay because they are thinner and lighter (I think)and give better action to live bait but for big strips I never really used them.I just found some Gam. khale hooks with leader on them(i'll cut that off and put my own on),and was going to try them.Do the khale's hook a fluke easier or is for action of the bait?I want to have every edge because I think it is my favorite fishing(till fall stripers start ,then tog,then I'll be all confused on what I like best).
Thanks for all your post,you have helped me alot.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys. Im gonna tie up a bunch of rigs and give it a go. Also gonna net some fresh mullet to take as bait in addition to the norms (minnows, trolling squid, and strip baits).

Capt. Harv, if you run open during a weekday and need a body please consider shooting me an email. Would need a few days notice but would like to make a trip if possible.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Circle hook..........I fish from Thurs to Sunday. I can add you to my email list if you like and you will be notified when I have an opening. Just go to my website and sign on the email list............Capt Harv

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Circle, with 50# braid allot of times if you (when you) get snagged the stainless kahle hook will straighten out. just my .02

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im more of a thurs or friday guy, any reason to take off from work. :) I think I signed up and added my email address but got no actual confirmation. Hope to fish w/ you soon, in non hurricane weather. Cya

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Fished off BL yesterday... we fished 60' of water and could only muster 2 keepers 22" being the largest.had alot of shorts(15+).white bucktail with herring was the ticket.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Circle hook........i got your email address when you signed on to my email list and you are on the list. Everyone on my email list receives an email when I have an opening. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts