7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading down for a week, late April

Any info on charters, type of fishing to do would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
621 Posts
They have charters at the reef club. I chartered a boat for back bay tarpon,bonefish ect.. If you go out front probably plenty of dolphin, maybe some sails. They''re not cheap:eek: You could also rent a 21footer and take it wherever you want.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Stop in and see Capt Ron Garden Cove Marina Key Largo
(Buzzards Roost Resturant)
MM106.5 Ocean side he has a list of charter Capt's (Captan Arron) was on guy he hooked me up with good guy.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CaptMikeH said:
Stop in and see Capt Ron Garden Cove Marina Key Largo
(Buzzards Roost Resturant)
MM106.5 Ocean side he has a list of charter Capt's (Captan Arron) was on guy he hooked me up with good guy.
Thank-you
Ron

·
Registered
62 Posts
Capt. George Mitchell is the man down there. I fished with him 4 days he was awesome. We caught sails,snapper, grouper, permit, cobia,and huge cudas. He is sponserd by penn, contender, yamaha. I think his website is fabulousfishingadventures.com

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Compleat's family owns a crib at Ocean Reef. I'm sure he can fill you in too.

·
Registered
32,308 Posts
When are you coming back? I'll be in Key Largo on May 3rd. I'll be in Florida the evening of the 2nd but not yet sure where we're going to call it a night. We'll be staying at a house at MM99 in Key Largo.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Doc- my neighbor here in Key Largo is a guide who works primarily in Ocean Reef on owners boats that he outfits for them. He also has a custom Beavertail flats boat. E-mail at [email protected] if you want his info. He knows all there is to know about the area.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Dr. Bass,

I can fill you in on the Reef, I run several boats there ( not charters)for fishing shoot me an email

[email protected]

For Charter? I second Over Under, if your up for aq ride to Islamorada. Beside being a long term Bass Barn supporter, Trey is a friend and they are as good as it gets for charter fishing.

His Captain -partner - Captain John Oughton, ( Pretty Work) is tough competetion when I fish against him. ( both here and there)

If you want to stay local, I would contact the crew from Megabyte there at Reef. Tell them you know Joe Sullivan from Slainte` ( slon - cha)

Tuna? there is some Blackfins out there, Sword bite is pretty steady there, day time fishing is good.

Plenty of good action for Snapper - Grouper, deep water jigging,

Truth be told, I am on the learning curve for deepwater stuff, but I am quick study, and trust in my 8oz hammered Diamond jig:) .

I am heading there on Friday to fish Sat - Sun., I will be jigging with both
Hammered Diamond jigs and Bucktails with and without ballyhoo on them.

Maybe see a Dolphin or Hoo out there.
Captn Joe

·
Registered
291 Posts
lots of blackfin

we just got back two weeks ago
crushed the blackfins in 100 to 200 feet of water with small feathers
had a couple schools of mahi around the boat but they had lockjaw - we only had one eat and that was on a live shrimp
we were fishing off of carysfort and french reefs
the mahi action should be great in a week or two - just need some east winds
Trey and John can put you on fish down there

Hey Dr. Bass - I am taking a shot here, but a few years back I was waiting for my sandwich at Donnely's in Avalon and saw a photo hanging of a guy who looked similar to you holding a fish with a fat stogie in his mouth. Was that you?

Love your posts.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Be down there on the 14th of May for a week with a few buddies. Going try and camp somewhere, fish 24/7. Anyone gonna be there around this time??

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
twocrows,
do you recall what depth you were seeing the Blackfins there?
The little feathers I would use here for Bonito & Spanish?

its funny how that Blue water moves around in and out there.

The last day of the Reef Cup this year, all hell broke loose at
The Spot where a pretty blue pocket of water moved in. Every boat
put lines in and hooked up with triples and quads, one of the craziest sights I have seen in 30 plus years of tournament sport fishing.

I 'll be out there on the little boat this weekend - a 29' Regulator.
Captn Joe

·
Registered
291 Posts
blackfins

Hey Joe -
I put the lines out around 9am in 125 feet south of French reef and had a fish on a skirted bally before I got the third line out.
When I saw it was a blackfin, I switched everything over to small zuker feathers and a small green chaos lure with feathers and mylar.
Went out to 175 feet and had a triple (we landed two).
Saw some birds and went east towards carysfort for another triple and saw them breaking the surface - awesome sight, even thought they are only 5lbs
The blackfins hit every color. Trolling about 7 knots
Then we went deep and trolled ballys, nothing doing.
Came back in past a few headboats and some drift fisherman and got another double on the ballys.
I had rookies onboard so it was nice to hear the singing drags even if the fish were small - we had TLD 20s out so it was a bit of a fight.
All done by 1pm - it's great when 200 feet is 8 miles away

good luck down there - we are heading back mem day for one last run and then putting the boat on a tractor trailer ride to avalon

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
twocrows said:
we just got back two weeks ago
crushed the blackfins in 100 to 200 feet of water with small feathers
had a couple schools of mahi around the boat but they had lockjaw - we only had one eat and that was on a live shrimp
we were fishing off of carysfort and french reefs
the mahi action should be great in a week or two - just need some east winds
Trey and John can put you on fish down there

Hey Dr. Bass - I am taking a shot here, but a few years back I was waiting for my sandwich at Donnely's in Avalon and saw a photo hanging of a guy who looked similar to you holding a fish with a fat stogie in his mouth. Was that you?

Love your posts.
Yeah, that was me

Compliments of Roger and Cathy

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
aquasport190 said:
When are you coming back? I'll be in Key Largo on May 3rd. I'll be in Florida the evening of the 2nd but not yet sure where we're going to call it a night. We'll be staying at a house at MM99 in Key Largo.
I will be there in April 21-27

1 - 20 of 28 Posts