BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My experience in the kayak so far has all been in the bays and inlets around North Wildwood but I am curious if moving out into the Ocean as the water in the back heats up would pay off. I have minimal experience out in the ocean by boat or kayak so these are probably basic questions. My first question is would it be productive trolling within 3 miles of the beach during July and August? Is it necessary to troll near a lump or wreck or would parallel to the beach work? I am not picky as to what I am catching but what would the best targets be for trolling? Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
3miles out. Hope your arms are in world class condition or you could find yourself 6 miles out and still going.

Have heard of guys that bring a kayak out in their boat and when they get into big Tuna or blues launch the yak and have at it. But launching from the beach it might be good to stay closer to shore say 1/2mile. Sounds like fun though.

I would like to fish the Cape May rips from the yak if the water was calm enough. alot of boats there would be a concern.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
I have trolled the ocean in my yak, but have stayed close to shore, maybe a half mile out at most.

I try and go on days when the waves are 1 to 2 feet, don't want to get rolled comin in or out with all my gear.

I usually work the areas between jetties. Paddle back and forth between them. Had luck the past few years trollin up blues and short bass. I also do some casting towards the jetty as I near it.

Lots of fun.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
how good an athlete are you??? if you are in good shape and pick your days, 3 miles aint jack in a kayak.

I am gonna troll the giant storm shads on mod action rods unless/until I get live bunka

I take minimal stuff - I plan on tipping over although I havent. YET

- everything is stowed underneath until I get outside.

I love watching guys launch with rods in their holders - tip over in shallow water and snap - you are f****ed

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Against the tide in the ocean 3 miles out? Dont care if your Mark Spitz. I'll notify your next of kin. Good Luck

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jc I have a Hobie Outback with the foot pedal drive, it makes covering distance much easier, but I will try to pick my days. In the back which I am sure is different I will normally cover about 10 miles in an outing.

Brian- I have gone out through Herefords before and was planning on timing the tides to avoid peddling against them or having to launch through the surf. Do you find you are able to troll the storm shads deep enough? Have you had any success with the Mann Stretches?

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Originally posted by jc:
Against the tide in the ocean 3 miles out? Dont care if your Mark Spitz. I'll notify your next of kin. Good Luck
No Mark Spitz but I was a swimmer and an ocean lifeguard in my days - and I've beem out much further than 3 miles - try close to ten

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Originally posted by ccg130:
Jc I have a Hobie Outback with the foot pedal drive, it makes covering distance much easier, but I will try to pick my days. In the back which I am sure is different I will normally cover about 10 miles in an outing.

Brian- I have gone out through Herefords before and was planning on timing the tides to avoid peddling against them or having to launch through the surf. Do you find you are able to troll the storm shads deep enough? Have you had any success with the Mann Stretches?
Never tried the Manns - the Storms get deep - you can add a trolling weight if necessary.

Rattle traps are another fav of mine to troll and my top producer trolling.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
3 or 10 I'd be worried about someone running me over..or swamping me

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
10 miles? wow, how the heck did ya get back, or know what direction to paddle for that matter.

Could you still see land, 10 miles I don't think ya can.....more details on that 10 mi if you would mr bri

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
i WAS ON A LIFEGUARD PADDLEBOARD WHEN i WAS A LIFEGUARD - MY FRIEND FRANK AND I HAD THE DAY OFF - WE SAW A PARTY BOAT ON THE HORIZON

WE DECIDED WE'D PADDLED OUT TO IT - LEFT SURF CITY AND REACHED IT ABOUT 3 HOURS (GUESSING) LATTER - WE SAID OK WE ARE HERE - TIME TO TURN THE F*** AROUND

WE WOUND UP IN sHIP bOTTOM - NOT FAR OFCOURSE - CALLED THE TRUCK TO PICK US UP

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
NO WE COULDNT SEE LAND - IT WAS WEST WIND 5MPH - PERFECT CALM CONDITIONS

3 MILES AINT JACK - ITS THE SURF ZONE THAT IS THE SCARY PART

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
that's pretty wild dude

you and your pal must hava good sense of direction, a compass, or both :D

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
try lobbing some green crab on the ends of the jetties . Yaks are ideal for going after monster tog as you can drag them out of their holes.
Bluefish are all over close to the beaches and will take a trolled plug. I remove all but the back hook to make landing them a simple plug grab.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts