BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been keeping an eye on the ocean water temps, its hard to believe after all this summer weather its 53.2 degrees right now at Atlantic City.
Looking south at Lewes, DE its 64. A little further south and they are in the mid 70's already. What will it take to get some of that warmer water get up this way?
I'll bet some of these backwater areas are varying almost 20 degrees between tides, sure makes for some interesting fishing!
Who's going for a swim? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Far......

The reason the Ocean Temp is so cold is that we haven't had any Southeasterly winds or Southerly winds. We've had plenty of Southwesterly winds which is the "heat pump" wind. Southwest wind is basically a land breeze. The water doesn't nor will not warm up with a land breeze, especially a southwest wind. Southwest winds suck no matter how you slice it. I just hope it's not one of them years..... :( :( . Every 12 years or so we get a southwest wind for the entire summer, where the wind never comes out of the south or southeast. During those years the ocean temp. only rises to about 62-65 degrees all summer long....yikes!! Hope it isn't one of those years...keep praying...

·
Registered
235 Posts
We had 60 in the am and 64 at noon time yesterday 5 mi off Manasquan. Now the bottom temp is another story. I dropped a thermometer down to 80' and when I reeled it back up it was 51. Since it likely came up a few degrees on the way up I figure the bottom to be upper 40s, probably why the seabass had lockjaw.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Were down to 52 now! After looking I've also found that the ocean temps are usually reported to be a few degrees warmer at Atlantic City compared to Cape May. If nothing else it's keeping the stripers around. Usually this time of year the water temps are 58-60.
What wind direction usually warms the water?
Seems to me it's been blowing out of the S-SW pretty steady for about a month now.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Last year was "one of those years" from about the middle of July on as far as cold ocean water temps. It took a hurricane to straighten things out water temperature wise...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Far,
Warmer water results from E and NE winds, blows the Gulf stream water closer to the beach. Beleive me I use that water temp more than most since I like taking on the waves. If we ever get a NE blow and that won't be for some time because now we are getting into the summer flat season. Keep an eye on the temps. You can bet money on the water warming up. Keep your fingers crossed that it happens, remember last summer, it was the year of the upwelling. Even in Hatt in the last week of august the water was a frigid 59 degrees in the middle of the day. I can't remember having to wear a full suit down there at that time of year. Usually it is 78-80. Keep you eye on the winds. Keith the bagman

[ 05-25-2004, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: the bagman ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
May 24,2004:

May 1, 2004:

Love This View,and the the difference over
the last 24 days,Yes It Seems We Are Still Running
about a month or two behind from the average.Its
been that way the last couple of fishing seasons.
I am not looking for a Great Summer Fishery at
all this year,much like last years I predict...
I just hope by the Fall we get back on track....
I will be saving my energy until then... ;)

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Was out on the mid-Del Bay yesterday for work. It was like a bathtub. The water must have been in the lower 70's. I got soaked from the waves coming over the bow of the boat when we gunned it, but it was very warm. It almost feels as warm as it should be in late July/August, not May!

Now that I've seen the satellite view of the water temps, I understand.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Up to 60! T-Storms kept me in tonight. Here is a link to check water temps... http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/catl.html
I'm still fishing JC, just not posting too much anymore. Keeping busy a few weakfish and plenty of stripers.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Night......

I think we're on the same page...as far as the seasons go...I think logistically we are about a month behind...it seems to me that our seasons are changing....it has occured the last several years. The air and water temps are'nt where they should be for this time of year, with the exception of that warm spell that we just had. It seems that the water and air are warmer later in the year, like into October. Just seems to me that we are definetly a least a month behind over the past couple of years. Don't you agree??

·
Registered
445 Posts
Far....

as far as you saying it has been blowing from the S-SW....that maybe so....but you must understand that we're still experiencing a WEST wind in there....that is like a WSW wind...it's not beneficial to warming the water. WE NEED A SOUTH-SOUTHEAST WIND.....NOT A SOUTH-SOUTHWEST!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts