BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went with my freind friday left school as soon as we could drove to this nice lake i caught 3 crappies on a little jerk bait then i caught 3 bass and 3 pikrale my freind tim caught 5 crappies 2 bass and 2 pikrale
but here is the weird and cool thing i caught a monster pikerale i usaly catch some big ones but this thing was not my longest ever but the fat one i ever caught and here is why it had a 4 inch tutle in its stomach and it was moveing and we could tell it was a turtle
so do you think the stomach could break down the turtle shell

my freind with it

me with it

turtle

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Too bad its dead now...

·
Registered
585 Posts
guys not evry fish caught and released will be garenteed its life. it sucks that its that way but that comes with fishing . those picks are soft around that gill and they hook themselves fairly deep an bad sometimes because of how viscious they can be. hey nice fish man. nothin better then a winter fish

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
threw him back he sawm away fine but i dont think that its stomach could break down the shell
I think what the guys are trying to say is; by jambing your arm up into the gill rakers like that, it'll more than likely die. Should have cut out the turtle and ate the fish. If pikeral are edible. I guess they would be. I've eaten pike, very similar I'd think. Better fish handling will go a long way to ensure a healthy release.

It is/was a pig.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I once saw a guy catch probably the biggest pickerel I have ever seen...about 6 pounds. It had a turtle in its' belly...he kept and cleaned it with us watching. Turtle dead.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Chances are that the fish had internal damage and that's why your friend was able to grab it. They are pretty wiry fish when they have all of their senses. Still, all in all, when a pickerel bleeds like that, it's dead. Fragile gill area as noted earlier....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Do you happen to know a mechanic named Mark? He was at my job working on a fork lift and told me about the same thing. He also lives around southhampton so I figured its the same fish.

By the way, which lake did you catch it in?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.