BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of guys I surf fish with have been yakin up big bass every spring for years. Went toggin with one of them 2 weeks ago and promised I'd get out there with them. Did a lot of back bay yakkin with Lilfisherman this summer so I'm really comfortable in a yak. Just have a few beach specific questions fell free to chime in with other bits to get me ready

What is the best style yak for launching from the beach?
- narrow or wide?
-how do the Hobie mirages handle the beach?

How do you dress/ What do you wear?
-I've used my wet suit on cooler back bay trips and stayed warm

How do you get a 20# or bigger bass into a kayak then back in??

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
hobies are fine for surf launches. but most tie up the drive and paddle in and out.

a shorter/wider boat is easier to control, but a longer narrower boat is a lot faster to get past the breakers and can punch through a wave a little better. its a matter of preference. i launch with a hobie sport, and the guys next to me will be launching with 12' boats.

when water is cool, or air is to cool, i wear waders and SHOULD have a dry top, but i just use a regular coat that i use surf fishing also. layer as needed underneath in thin flexible layers. if its even remotely warm im in board shorts.

big fish, use a lip grip, hell use one even with small fish. if you wanna keep it a game clipwill do the trick, or tie it down in the yak.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I've launched my Outback from the surf several times. Depending on the conditions it's all inthe timing. The Mirage drive has plenty of kick to get through the breakers quickly, usually only 1 wave to bust through.

Always pull out as far as you can holding the front of the yak. This will keep the surf from turning it on you and dumping everything.

When it's cold I wear a Dry Suit, when its warm whatever feel good.

·
Registered
753 Posts
What is the best style yak for launching from the beach?
- narrow or wide?
-how do the Hobie mirages handle the beach?

I have both a Hobie Sport and Outback. The Sport seems to handle coming back in better than my Outback. My biggest complaint with Hobie is the lack of storage space compare to my Ocean Kayaks. In the Spring and Fall I mainly use my OK Malibu2 XL because of the room it provides

How do you dress/ What do you wear?
-I've used my wet suit on cooler back bay trips and stayed warm

Spring and Fall I use a wetsuit, not worth taking chances having your waders fill up. I layer underarmor under the wetsuit and stay warm enough.

How do you get a 20# or bigger bass into a kayak then back in??
I strap mine through the mouth and gilll down in the back half of the kayak and cover it with with this elastic netting I bought online.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
If I ever get done my home remodeling project, I'll finally get to installing all the nice little items I got for my FishNDive. Jim, I went with the FishNDive for two reasons. First is that it is very stable, I can stand up and fish, and it has a large rectangular hatch that allows me to stow the rods in the hull before entering the surfline. The second reason is I got great deal on a used one. I did a lot of research on the cold water issue last winter; it seems that most prefer to wear waders with a dry or semi-dry top over them. The problem with a wetsuit is cold air/wind. I picked up a Bomber dry top for about half price last January - check ebay. As for getting in and out of the surfline, going out isn't to bad. Last summer I practiced coming back into the beach in reverse - a lot easier than you'd imagine. As for pulling a 20# fish into the yak, I don't know yet, but plan to find out this spring. Perhaps I'll follow you around to see how it's done, and to pull the various items from the water that you lose overboard. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.