BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in Islamorada, on the water nd have rented a 24' Mako. Most of the fly fishing I've done down there is cuda along the reefs or Mahi over wrecks.
I'd like to get into some other fish and may hire a guide one day or night for tarpon.

Any suggestions of spots or species and how to/where to? I have 9 - 10 - 11 wts with sink and floating lines.

Thanks very much.

Paul

·
Registered
44 Posts
Check out these two, Captain Len Roberts(305)-664-5420 [email protected] He is out of Islamorada. Also, Bryan DeLieo (609)-926-5415 [email protected] He is out of the lower keys. Big shrimp pattens(3/0) and pinfish patterns fished in a chum slick have been producing kings,spanish, snapper and some big cobia. Check out some wrecks and toss some crab patterns, rumors of some big permit as of recent.Have Fun

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Went down to the keys for the first time this year and can't wait to get back. Sounds like the boat you rented will be great for the deeper water spots, but might be to big for the flats. I am sure the guys listed above will steer you right. Will be looking forward to your posts when you get down. Good Luck. You should be down at a great time.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Paul You have mail. Ron

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Feel free to drop me an email...I'll give you some spots that are perfect for that boat for some tarpon at night or some permit during the day...
If you'd like to hire a capt to run your boat for a day offshore let me know too.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys....very much. As long as the wind cooperates...I should have some reports in a few weeks. (after 4/17 or so)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just back........

Fished the Hump a few days and did well on Dolphin and black fin. Trolled them up then cast to them with squid pattern. Took about a 20LB Dolphin in the fly and what an air show he put on!

Wind picked up and was only able to work the reef last 3 days. Fished a small green crab and picked up fish I cant identify (all small).

Not a TV show trip, but beat working!

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Paul

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Paul Glad you had a good safe trip & thanks for sharing. That dolphin on the fly sounds great. Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts