BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Completed the course and passed the test. Purchased the letters/numbers for my boat. The course was 99% geared towards bigger boats on saltwater, so I still have a lot of questions. Gonna take out my boat for it's maiden voyage during the spring break, which begins 3/21. Very excited! Still need three PFD's and anchor/line/chain. Can any of you think of something I might have missed??

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Do you have something to hold your rods, maybe one of these? You can glue it to your cooler. Add a throwable pfd cushion and you have a seat, cooler, rod holder in one piece. Does your boat have lights?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Steve,, were you at the classes at Vineland Police Academy? If so, I just took my test there

& ACarbone, it's simple.. 60 questions.... all common sense stuff.. Just remember, Red Right Returning & you'll be fine. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
The test is easy. Most people could pass without ever studying. Don't know why they bother with it.:cool:

Anyway, make sure you have the safety stuff. A whistle, lifejackets, fire extinguiser, visual signal, etc. I also carry a marine radio, cell phone, basic tools, duct tape, rain gear, rope, lake maps, first aid kit, batteries, flashlight, hand-held gps, binocualrs, towel, and a bucket. And on some missions I carry photon torpedoes for when my warp drive and cloaking device fails and the Klingons attack.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was going to try and get my boat out to RVR or SRR this weekend, but the weather looks bad.:mad: I never cared about the wind until I got a boat.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kev, I'm ready!! Still need to purchase PFD's, but other than that I'm set. I will need help trailering, etc. the first time. I can't think of two better people than you or Shamoo to be my first passenger.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shamoo,

As you know I'm always up for Sun am angling. I'm guessing we'll need more time for the maiden voyage, though. I'm off from work Fri, March 21 and the whole week following if that's good.

Your friend,
Steve

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Over the rail,

I like your idea because I'm wary of drilling/mounting anything in something that is supposed to hold water. No, I don't have lights, pfd, horn as of yet.

·
Registered
768 Posts
congrats steve.:cool:

I like your idea because I'm wary of drilling/mounting anything in something that is supposed to hold water.
Just incase you didn't know, a boat is nothing more than a hole in the water where you throw your money into. :D

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
whenever you want steve.i'm not sure if you need lights(i never had them)i just might have an anchor for you.i'll look today.i just kept a few of those cheap life jackets in the boat.the water you'll mostly be fishing around here isn't that deep anyway.when the kids were little i kept good zip up ones on them though.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Steve, get the clamp on rod holders, then you can move them around or take them off as needed. Do yourself a favor and take the boat to a parking lot and practice moving it around and backing it up. Remember, when backing up go slow and turn the wheel slowly. Enjoy!

·
Registered
768 Posts
good idea. Backing a trailer down a ramp takes some skill and practice. Sometimes it may be worth taping on a piece of paper to the steering wheel reminding you what direction you need to turn the wheel to get the trailer to move a certain direction. It will go the opposite direction you turn your wheel. At one point though, after a certain angle is created between vehicle and trailer, this will no longer work. It's nice you're towing the boat of that size with a car, you will have more visibility and the shorter wheel base will make corrections a breeze compared to a longer truck. Even experienced boaters find smaller trailers,such as jon boats and wave runners, difficult as they react more quickly to small changes in steering wheel input than larger rigs. They are also harder to see, especially when the boat is not on it.

Nothing worse than watching a guy at the ramp take 10 tries or more to get the rig down to the water straight. Not so bad when its only you but if its a popular ramp, and a crowd forms, its a bit of pressure. ;)

Good luck steve. let the force be with you my man.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Easiest way to keep your mind right while backing a trailer is to grab the bottom of the wheel - 6 oclock. Then if you want the trailer to go left move your hand left etc.,(don't let go of the wheel). That also helps to keep you from oversteering. And like they said - always slow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts