BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well here goes. I sail from raritan bay and I'm looking to get a little tuna or at minimum shark action this year. I've taken many a trip to the hole but only come up with blues on the troll( smaller than roamed shoal blues)..also blue sharks while chumming...anyway I'm set pretty well gear wise and on a nice day with a full 185 gal tank my range is there. I was wondering is anyone can share tactics spreads, best temps/ times areas. Even if anyone wants to hop on this year and give me a hand I'm all for that too
Thanks in advance for the help
Ryan

·
Registered
671 Posts
Sterling spreader bars in all the colors, some joe shutes rigged (blue white)., hogy daisy chain, cedar plug, cedar plug chain

I dont have out riggers but I had plenty of success running this spread this past june for BFT on my 23 cc.

|-------------------Sterlingbar
|--------------hogey chain on a flat line
|---------------------------------wwwwb 6oz Blue White joe shute w/bally
|------------------- flat line cedar plug/chain/ 3 oz joe shute e/ballyhoo
|-------------------sterling bar

If i get outriggers this year I will throw 2 skirted bally on the outside

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Mini Green Machine Spreader

Some Small Zuker Feathers

Ballyhoo Rigs with Skirt

Some Daisy Chains..

We Sell is all..:thumbsup:

If you need some one on one advice, Give us a call we are here every single day:D

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
At first focus on BFT as its closer for you to run to. You can get to the chicken and glory hole with your range. Along with the trolling gear mentioned above look into getting into jigging also. A nice selection of jigs with a good jiging rod will be key.

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
cedar plugs....since cheap lures that can be very effective when trolled of the flat line
for bluefin trolling:
blue/white islanders.....set them wwwwwwb
also a good thing to have in the spread is some ballyhoo, if you learn how to rig em and skirt them the the islanders they are deadly, but you can also buy pre-rigged from most tackle stores
i would also get some short of bird or a smaller spreader bar just to jazz up your spread a bit, a green boone bird with a mini green machine behind it is always a good choice

if you get yellowfins in the area your definitelygoing to want some squid daisy chains and some spreader bars (favotite colors are green, pink and rainbow,purple for dark days)

·
Registered
684 Posts
For a good start to your education try one of Canyon Runners seminars. I believe thay are doing one in AC this Sat...not sure if thay have tickets left. Good luck and remember that a good trip is one that everyone makes it back to the dock safe... A great trip is back safe and with fish.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
where do you dock

I live on the bay in keyport

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks alot for the advice guys--tommy...excellent spread dwg haha..seems the islander/shute rigged ballohoo are the trick. quick question...when you guys way way way back are we talkin 150yds? also is there anything i should be looking for before i set the lines or am i just showing up and dropping..i realize i should probably loking for a temp break or some kind of bottom structure but is there anything else tell tale?

Fishy im in keansburg in lentze marina...1st ave off laurel

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
larger groups of tuna chicks are almost always a good sign of life around. For the wayyyy back setup use atleast a 50w with 70-80 pound mono (somewhere around there). There are many different ways to do this but for starters just put a weighted islander on a large bally. ( They are very easy to rig with islanders just keep it simple and when you pull on the leader while holding the bally the hook should not move you don't want the bend of the hook real tight on the bally's belly cut a slit in front of the belly exit hole so the hook doesn't pull on it, this will keep it from spinning) Let half of the spool out and that's the most basic way. Planners,drails,and down riggers work well also. Let out a bunch of line then attach it to planner line then free spool to desired depth and then your set up. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Real mcoi I also get newpeople laugh when im running hard waters flat calm nothing in site and I stop and start trolling and tell them I smell fish , some can smell it and are amazed some just think im crazy,but the tuna chicks are there two lol

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
One more good tip dont fish in a crowd , the fish were there but arent feeding now with all the boat traffic coming in and out

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
See...that's why I love the barn....smell the fish. Probably overlooked 90%of the time but it makes sense.

Dump half a 50..wow that is wayyyyy back lol I would have never guessed. Thanks for the advice though

Tight lines fellas can't wait for the tax day splash!

Ry

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thanks alot for the advice guys--tommy...excellent spread dwg haha..seems the islander/shute rigged ballohoo are the trick. quick question...when you guys way way way back are we talkin 150yds? also is there anything i should be looking for before i set the lines or am i just showing up and dropping..i realize i should probably loking for a temp break or some kind of bottom structure but is there anything else tell tale?

Fishy im in keansburg in lentze marina...1st ave off laurel
I run my wwwway back at 400 feet

·
Registered
163 Posts
I sail from Monmouth cove Marina an would be all for teaming up out there one day .. Cover more ground .. You will get tuna this year

Joe

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
All the time I wasted chumming and I got my mako trolling while targeting blue fin. He bit a Bally with a blue and white islander head... spreaders put a beating on the blue fin last season in the chicken canyon...I recommend getting an experienced fisherman to go with you.. Someone who can show you how to find the fish, certain things to look for, some tricks of the trade..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts