BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fished the lumps out of cape may every w/e this past august. we put a hurtin on the blue population trolling but could not get a taker on the fly..has anyone ever tried for them out there. thought about bait and switch with the teasers or establishing a chum slick. we tried chunking with butters after a hookup but couldn't raise any.. any thoughts or experiences shared would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Go out and look for birdplay down where you fished earlier this summer. It should be going off down there right about now. Had a few friends out with me last week and had them to 13 lbs on the fly.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Heavy sinking line and large oversize clousers get the line down deep. During the season early in the morning is best for bringing the fish close to the surface. Chumming, alot of times during the day the fish will feed deeper, especially when there is bright sun. Oh yea, use wire trace, your flies will get chewed, but you will atleast land some fish.

Alot of times, when you get the blues up on the troll there will be followers of the hooked fish that should hit a fly. Make sure the fly is big enought to get noticed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cape may ray eelman thanks for the help. always have several fly rods ready to go . got my heart broken this past summer by some super finicky bluefin tuna. had a fly smack in the middle of a butter fish slick,only to see bunches of tuna rail the butters and give me a 3 for a creativity on my fly. will probably get to fish with you guys next summer.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Flies Only Welcome to the board & I hope you enjoy your stay. Years back when bluefish was about the only game in town, we did well on the lumps with poppers. Should still work. Again welcome. Ron

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Chum with live peanut bunker. We did this and had plenty of bluefish, albies, and a fair amount of schoolie bluefins on the fly. Troll until you hookup and then start throwing the live peanuts. We had the Bluefins busting all around the boat a couple days. The live chum gets them more aggressive than just chunks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
brian ,supa thanks for the advice. the troll then start blind casting with chum seems like a great idea. the peanuts were super thick around the docks last summer. brian also sorry about the loss of your family member. i lost a shep/lab female in a divorce 2 yrs ago. it still hurts immensely.please get another one when you are ready. the shelters have tons that would love to be your family..

·
Registered
549 Posts
Welcome! If your boat is still in the water you can catch as many bluefish as you want right now. I use short piece of Boa wire with sandeel patterns. I use a 700 grain flyline this time of year. Also, contrary to popular belief you can troll for those BFT, although it isn't reccommended. We did this year without one hit on cedar plugs and zuckers. We had just passed a school and decided to leave about 15 feet of line dragging in the wash behind the boat. WHAM.. We pulled all the TROLLING Rigs in and took turns catching BFT and albacore right 10ft off the back of the boat. It looked kind of riduculus but we were consistently catching fish up to 40 lbs. at the SI Ridge. Good luck. Check you drags....watch your fingers.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've had some success by trolling to locate fish around structure then anchoring, up current of the location. Once in position, cast using a sinking line (depth charge 350g) and letting the line sink. Many strikes will happen when you are not actually stripping the fly, just holding the line in your fingers. This works well for Bonito and False Albacore also. I love to fly fishing this way. I had some great mornings in Sep/Oct using this technique. One of those mornings, in about 1-1/2 hours, I landed 2 Blues - 2 Albies and 2 Bonito all on the same small fly (no wire)Fought and lost other fish as well. One other note, first light till about 9:00 AM seems to be the most productive time.

fwiw

[ 12-15-2004, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: aubv ]

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Dead spearing thrown in the slick also get the tunas going pretty good. The albies and bonito seem to really like them. I use small to medium white decievers on them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
we had some awesome days at the si ridge. incredible amount of species there. gonna try and hang my keeper bluefin next summer on my 12wt. got over 450yds backing on that reel.thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
FO...I feel your pain!!

After a trip to the ridge, I rigged a Gulf Stream with 50pound Power Pro for my shot at a "keeper" BFT. I used the Rio Leviathon lines that have a 50 pound core
..A few weeks ago I saw free jumping BFT's that were feeding on Sardines.
They were not very concentrated, and we were not specificly targeting them...I did get the new 12wt in the water though...
I just had to try!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
frank,did you sting one??i can t wait to tangle with one. i think that you can put more pressure on a fish with a flyrod doing the "down and dirty"tarpon style of fighting a fish . nice to know i am not the only fly addict out there.

·
Administrator
7,489 Posts
Frank,

That was some sight coming out from that underneath that fella's boat-then heading right for us, eh ?
And I thought people's A$$es were itchin' with all the rumers---owell.......next season.

On another note, searched the beach today for 10 min. & came to my senses, returned home and read a book.

REN

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
FO,
Yes indeed...I caught about 5 or so on the one trip to the ridge I made this year, but none over about 16 pounds. Certainly the "extreme" end of saltwater fly fishing! To most, saltwater fly fishing is already extreme, but saltwater is all that I know..Next year I hope to get one nearing the 50s. and yes, I will need luck!

Ren,
I agree! That was one of those moments on the water that simply must be seen to be beleived!
What a site...and with the guns I was using, I beleive that I would have landed that tuna!
Glad you brought her back in...
If you would like to get together and tie some day, we will make a day of it. It would be fun!
Merry Christmas, my friend!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
frank we'll have to buddy up next year and go play..the boat will be a hitchens for july and august. so the bft's and the other sickle tail boys will be seeing some flies...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts