BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is goes after fruitful attempts to get the BFT to hit the fly on the run and gun. How about dragging one of those big sailfish popper flys off the back of the boat? Any help or suggestions?

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I've got three tuner trips lined up in the next few months. Gonna try butterfish chunk flies (tied crease fly style) and green squids.

Gene Quigley is da man for flyrod tuner in nj - his email is [email protected]

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Sounds like fishing with a fly rod, not fly fishing. Sorry. Ron

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not a purist, living in NJ when I get to go out when conditions and water temps bring these fish in so close. I don't care how we catch them.
This won't last and these fish won't be at spots where guys with flats boats (saw one with a casting platform) at SI ridge on thursday don't get an opportunity like captain's that have charter businesses. The last time I saw tuna that close to the boat was Mexico.

·
Registered
45 Posts
edhead,

I would seriously recommend NOT trolling flies for tuna, it can be an expensive end result ($1200 flying out of your hand and into the deep) and as mentioned earlier, it's really not fly fishing the way its suppose to be. I never down anyone for the "style" they choose to use with their fly rod, but rather would offer caution to you here as I have heard on many who have lost or ruined fly tackle doing so.

We have the same bite going on up here out of Manasquan with the schoolie BFT, last trip out we put 16 in the boat in a about 3 hours on the fly. We were working the pods with Mushmouth flies, intermediate lines, and 20 lb flouro leaders.

Sound?s like Capt. Joe has a good bite there as well. If you are from the S. Jersey area, I would recommend booking him for a charter or two to learn his technique.

We are starting to see the fish up here respond to the chunk as well; however we will switch to live baits as soon as the fish show to get them targeted on moving bait.

Hope this helps out...

Hey Bri - How the hell are ya!! Last time I saw you we were sippin? a few cold ones at the fly show - hope all is well

Gene Quigley
Shore Catch

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Gene Sorry I missed your entry into our group, but belated welcome. I look forward to your insights.

Re=read my earlier post. Did not mean to preach or bash but I can't forget "Cos" last year on the TV trolling for sailfish. I think he's been replaced. Ron

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not going to put a flyrod on a outrigger just dragging it close to the back of the boat. It seems that up in NNJ you guys have a closer shot at these fish then we do here in SNJ. We hardley ever get a shot at Albies with any regularity like it seems up there. It all comes down to what you want to accomplish on trip and what you can do in that time frame, even if it is on your own boat. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for endorsement Capt. Gene...you guys up north ususally get this action with more regularity than we do down here...the bluefin fishing has been incredible and we may never see this again this close down our way again...also got lucky with a 15 pound mahi that showed up behing the boat and took a clouser on a 10 wt...what an awesome fight, 12 jumps before being brought to the boat...as for the flats boat at the SI ridge comment that was me out there...I agree in your advice not to troll with the fly rod whether in an outrigger or not...a tuna strike coupled with the movement of the boat sounds like a recipe for destroyed equipment or worse injuries to the holder of the rod...edhead I am using small clousers...you won't even get a look with bigger flies...good luck out there.
Capt. Joe

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Gene - glad you chimed in! Had a great spring on big bass and nice trip up north.

Going out with Timmay Thursday (hopefully) - bringing the 13 wt - if we get them chunked up maybe he'll let me break out the long rod :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts