BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my buddy has a 61 viking and were looking to capture more on film and pictures...does anyone know any set ups the people have used like mounts and stuff other then taking the picture yourself...if you guys catch my drift....im just trying to be creative since im a photog and i've captured some great canyon shots with him and were just trying to get more.....any info out there? thanks

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
we have a cock[it camera on the boat i fish on i wonder if you could hook it up to a dvr, our camera is hooked up to our northstar unit so i can watch whats going on in the pit while i'm up on the bridge with out having to yell down below to see what they want me to do, i will try and find out the name and post it on here hope this helps

·
Registered
973 Posts
Tunaguy - this may be low end for a 61 Viking but I use a sea sucker type suction cup camera base (found online for $60.00 bucks) and I had a mount made that is a 4 foot gimbal based aluminum pole($50). I have a Sanyo waterproof digital video camera and u can stick it up on the rocket laucher or one of the tower legs and video the entire pit or take the camera down and use it in hand. Unlike a permanent system you can take it with you on a buddy's boat or film the kids sporting events, etc. If you are interested in the set up pm me for more info.

·
Registered
11,723 Posts
Check with barner Rageboat he may have some suggestions--
Can't help you with any of the remote stuff. I still hold my camera to my eye every day even after 24 years, but I'd be more than glad to join you out on the water to shoot some pix. ;)

·
Registered
973 Posts
5 Foot Assasin - I have one and I am selling it. The waterproof factor is great but with no viewfinder you never know what you are actually recording. I used it shark fishing and got home to watch video of the sky or my feet. The audio and video quality are ok at best. Sanyo is making a new waterproof camera that is submersible and takes up to a 32gig card. If you are snowboarding the Hero is the way to go. IMO

·
Registered
327 Posts
5 Foot Assasin - I have one and I am selling it. The waterproof factor is great but with no viewfinder you never know what you are actually recording. I used it shark fishing and got home to watch video of the sky or my feet. The audio and video quality are ok at best. Sanyo is making a new waterproof camera that is submersible and takes up to a 32gig card. If you are snowboarding the Hero is the way to go. IMO
Thanks for the heads up! Who made your telescoping pole and where did u get the suction cup from?

·
Registered
973 Posts
I purchased the pole from Greg Byerly ([email protected]) who I found on ebay - he also made me some beautiful trident rod holders - inexpensive and great quality. The pole is fixed 4 foot in length and he will make it anyway you would like. It cost me $42.00 and that included the shipping. I do not recall the make of the suction cup mount but if you google it you can find tons of them from $20.00 up to hundreds of dollars. The video camera is a Sanyo Model VPC WH1. If you need anything else let me know.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Wow!!! If you own a 61 Viking or the like I guess you can afford the Latham system. Did you check out the install times? 25-50 hours @ $65.00 per hour depending on the system and that doesn't include the cost for the system - ouch. I bet your looking at 10k easy for the low end set up. I will stick with my $400.00 system and I can still tape the kids hockey game.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There are basically two ways to capture decent enough footage on a smallish boat to edit into something usable (other than very short teasers).

1. Set up a few mounted, static cameras recording in parallel (preferably with a remote to start/stop them in unison when the action begins) One on the cockpit, tight to the angler, one wide shot over the transom, maybe a 'reverse shot' looking for reaction from the bridge to tie it all together. That way is not terribly expensive, nor would it get in the way too much. You'd have three (or more, perhaps) video streams that could be edited down to tell a story, which is what you're looking to do.
2. Do one or two of the above, plus a guy with a Steadicam mount. It would have to be a trained cameraman, because Steadicam filming (even on land) is an art and not all that easy to do. (For the unfamiliar, a Steadicam mount is usually a vest with a balanced mounting arm for a camera built onto it. They cost a few grand.) Optionally, you could get some aluminum and rig up a 'jib' and mount it on the flybridge, to be deployed when the action starts.

Either way I recommend an experienced operator or TD/DP (Technical Director/Director of Photography) be available to make sure that all the money spent on equipment doesn't miss the 'money shot'.
;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Picked up a couple of inexpensive video/camera stands through campmor (approx $9.00). There small, there easy to set up on any rail. They rotate and can move in just about anyway you need it to. Just pick up a small piece of the rubber non slip mat to grip the rail better. They hold up pretty good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.