BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed down to Rands about 7 AM, get to the boat around 8:30 only to find a dead battery. Luckily I have relatives who live in the area so I take the battery there to charge it and BS with my cousins. Get back to the boat around noon with the charged battery. Boat fires up like a charm so away we go. The bay is flat as could be so I decide to peek out front. Keep in mind I have only a 19? bowrider. The ocean is beautiful maybe a 1? chop. So we head to Garden State south reef. We are out there about an hour (not one fish caught) when we see lightning in the distance, towards the island. We decide better safe then sorry so we start to head in. After about 15 minutes we are dead in the middle of the storm. Waves picked up to at least 6 feet with high winds and a stinging rain. Now I am doing about 4 MPH and have to ride with the waves to avoid getting swamped. After about 30 minutes in the storm it finally passes us by within another 15 minutes the ocean calmed down to a two foot chop. Got back to the inlet and it was calm as could be again. Decided we really didn?t want the skunk so we hit a few areas in the bay looking for anything to bite. Only to get poured on again but this time no wind or lightning, headed to the dock about 6 with the skunk. What an adventure. This was the first time in 5 years of owning this boat that I have ever worn the life jacket. Amazing how quickly things can change out there. Luckily I am here for another day, and will be heading back out this afternoon. Hopefully I won?t get the skunk again today.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Hey BB,
Yeah that was some adventure,you never know what can happen while you are away from port.I watched those storms spring up from out of nowhere yesterday afternoon on the radar screens.
They were not predicted and those are the ones that are usually nasty..
Glad you made it back safe..

Good Luck Today...

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Glad you got back safely and always pays to keep an eye on the sky and check the weather on the VHF if you think storms are in the area. Good luck, you'll get em next time.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
great feeling when you step off your boat in one piece after navigating through a storm. I was in the DBay during the infamous Memorial Day storm a number of years ago. Same situation...beautiful weather all day then bam...bad thunderstorms approaching.

We were in a 40 footer and the capt. decided to head for port...there were many smaller boats out there in the middle of the bay (I mean 14-17 foot boats!) and I know a few of them were not so fortunate.

If I recall, a few folks lost their lives that day. Glad you made it home safely.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
WOAH... Flashback! .... Glad all turned out well. Nowhere to go but up.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Thats why I am getting that 26 footer with the cabin and deep sides, ive BEEN in that bay when its gone sour, and I dont know if I would feel safe in a 60 footer but I know that big arse starcraft is used up in Alaska where it gets REAL nasty in a heartbeat, and also out in the Great Lakes, yanno, where that 800 foot long :eek: iron ore carrier"Edmund Fitzgerald" met her death in a savage storm.

If it can live up in those waters, I should have a good chance of getting in to shore in one piece, but damn I would hate being caught out there in a center console, I got caught in a blow out in the rips and took green water over the bow, thank god I had my cousins runabout out with a closed bow and a strong windshield, most all the water went slamming off to the sides, I dont know how that windshield took it but it did!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts